Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 01:02 PM

819 posts, read 3,208,407 times

Advertisements

I can't even imagine renting a place for 17 years. . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM

241 posts, read 792,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If your there 17 years, obviously you aren't moving anytime soon, don't be so cheap, buy the paint and carpet yourself. What is the big deal, you are the one living there.

I hate tenants that dont want to life a finger or spend a dime, makes me crazy
Just saying ... this is probably a big reason to rent for some people - no responsibility for the upkeep/maintenance

Old 03-30-2012, 03:19 PM

584 posts, read 1,935,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdotAllen View Post
I can't even imagine renting a place for 17 years. . .
no different than owning a house that amount of time

Old 03-31-2012, 06:00 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgoldner View Post
Does anyone know what legal rights I have for landord to fix up apartment after living in the same apartment for 17 years?

I have been a resident manager for 15 years and got a reduction in my rent - Because of that the Landlord would not doing anything in my unit and when she did it the work was not done correctly because she hired workers she would find for cheap. Example - they changed my floors in the kitchen and dining room with ceramic tiles - the tiles were installed poorly and now have hairline crack in many of the tiles and the grout that was used was not grout of tiles. The counters had the tiles coming to the edges with no corner tiles nor edges - so now the tiles on edge have small chips and she is blaiming us and will not fix them -

She has never painted or replaced the carpeting - What does the landord have to do as far as fixing up the apartment? I know all about the hazardous, plumbing, locks etc.. that must get done in 30days - but what other rights do I have to get the landord to paint and fix up -
After 17 years, if I were your landlord I would certainly want to work with you on getting new carpet and paint installed. I would do it after 10 years. However, I cringe at how difficult that might be while you are still living there. My wife and I did that to our first house while we tried to live there. In spite of having a cooperative contractor it was a horrible experience. We finally ended up moving into a motel room for about a week so we did not have to live in the mess while it was going on. I would hate to put a tenant through that, but also wouldn't want to pay the motel bill and be liable for theft or damage to their stuff during the renovation. I guess we will have to arrive at some firm agreements on all of that before it happens at my rental house.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:40 AM

575 posts, read 1,778,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
If your there 17 years, obviously you aren't moving anytime soon, don't be so cheap, buy the paint and carpet yourself. What is the big deal, you are the one living there.

I hate tenants that dont want to life a finger or spend a dime, makes me crazy

You're kidding, right?

The tenant does not own the property. Why should they pay to improve it?

One of the reasons people choose to rent is because they don't want to deal with the costs of maintenance and upkeep - that's not their job - those costs fall to the owner of the property.

In this situation the property owner has not had to deal with vacancy, advertising, or turnover costs in 17 years. Geez, finding a tenant who would stay put that long would be a dream for most long term landlords.

I can't believe the owner has not painted or installed new carpet in the past 17 years!

Old 04-07-2012, 01:04 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
You're kidding, right?

The tenant does not own the property. Why should they pay to improve it?

One of the reasons people choose to rent is because they don't want to deal with the costs of maintenance and upkeep - that's not their job - those costs fall to the owner of the property.

In this situation the property owner has not had to deal with vacancy, advertising, or turnover costs in 17 years. Geez, finding a tenant who would stay put that long would be a dream for most long term landlords.

I can't believe the owner has not painted or installed new carpet in the past 17 years!
At least two sides here... could very well be the Landlord is renting at below market and this is why the tenant has remained...

The other part and it is very true... paint and floor covering can be a nightmare when a unit is occupied.

I will do just about anything to avoid the problems because they are very real...

All of the carpet companies I use will not move or be responsible for moving furniture... they are not in the furniture moving business.

Second... where to put the furniture is another problem.

The last carpet job had to be rescheduled 3 times because the tenant did not have the unit ready for install... my vendor told me no more tenant occupied units.

Then there is the case where a computer was moved and didn't work afterwards... the tenant wanted me to pay for a new computer...

Painting is another set of problems... the biggest one came about when the family wanted to be put up in a hotel for three nights because of paint fumes... they also wanted me to be in the unit at all times the painters were there to watch their belongings...

Renovations to tenant occupied units are fought with potential problems that have nothing to do with the landlord being unwilling to pay for carpet or painting.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:26 PM

232 posts, read 1,654,198 times
As this post is 2 years old, OP has either now lived there for 19 years, or has moved out! OP also only has the one post, so I seriously doubt that s/he's coming back to read these posts.

"I have received a 60 day notice to move without any explaination as to why. Never late on rent, never had complaints, quiet. The landlord informed me when I moved in the carpet was one year old and they change the carpet every two years. If I did not stay two years I would have to pay for the carpet. Since she is forcing me out of my apt. after 1 year and 4 months can she keep my deposit for the carpet replacement. Help???"

You should ask why you are being asked to move. Do you have a lease? If you do, I believe your landlord needs to actually give a reason why you are being asked to move (evicted?)

You will be responsible for any damages done to the carpet and the rest of the apartment, regardless if it is their policy to repaint between tenants, replace carpet, etc. Wear and tear is normal - damage is not.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:44 PM

2 posts, read 4,074 times
I am renting from a property management company and just rented recently. Aren't they suppose to make sure home is cleaned and painted after every tenant especially when a tenant has been in the property for two or more years, before another tenant moves in? When is carpet suppose to be replaced?

Last edited by karlye; 07-18-2014 at 07:49 PM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 07-18-2014, 07:55 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlye View Post
I am renting from a property management company and just rented recently. Aren't they suppose to make sure home is cleaned and painted after every tenant especially when a tenant has been in the property for two or more years, before another tenant moves in? When is carpet suppose to be replaced?
No rule, at least in CA, about how clean a place is or if it's painted for next tenant. A place must be habitable, but other than that, you make note of the condition the place is in when you rent it, and you only have to leave it in the same condition as when you moved in, less normal wear and tear.

Here are the CA laws on what makes a place uninhabitable:

California Tenants - California Department of Consumer Affairs

Old 07-19-2014, 05:27 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlye View Post
When you sign the lease you accept the unit "as is" and only if you ask that things be spruced up, your LL agrees and you put this in writing before you move in do you have an argument. When you move in you should take dated photographs of the unit and document all wear and tear. When you move out, likewise take dated photographs for comparison in the event there's any dispute about the return of your security deposit. The LL is under no legal obligation to paint, replace carpeting or anything else between tenants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting