U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2010, 12:05 AM

1 posts, read 23,893 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know what legal rights I have for landord to fix up apartment after living in the same apartment for 17 years?

I have been a resident manager for 15 years and got a reduction in my rent - Because of that the Landlord would not doing anything in my unit and when she did it the work was not done correctly because she hired workers she would find for cheap. Example - they changed my floors in the kitchen and dining room with ceramic tiles - the tiles were installed poorly and now have hairline crack in many of the tiles and the grout that was used was not grout of tiles. The counters had the tiles coming to the edges with no corner tiles nor edges - so now the tiles on edge have small chips and she is blaiming us and will not fix them -

She has never painted or replaced the carpeting - What does the landord have to do as far as fixing up the apartment? I know all about the hazardous, plumbing, locks etc.. that must get done in 30days - but what other rights do I have to get the landord to paint and fix up -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 AM

1 posts, read 23,452 times
I do not know, but the landlord is obligated to paint after three years, and replace the carpet, after ten years. Check the tentants right hand book. Speaking of the the tentants right handbook. Can anyone help me out with where to find this BOOK. I moved out after staying in my duplex for over ten years. I thinlk this is normal ware and tare for the rug, and painting is a no brainer. My landlord is so hard up for my deposit, He stated " the closet rails are off track and I left a silver ware holder in a drawer, oh and two of the drawers were not wiped out. I clean that place from top to bottom. Please help. may need a laywer. b0ys9989@yahoo.com Renee

Old 09-15-2010, 12:15 PM

2,410 posts, read 2,688,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee Van hook View Post
I do not know, but the landlord is obligated to paint after three years, and replace the carpet, after ten years. Check the tentants right hand book. Speaking of the the tentants right handbook. Can anyone help me out with where to find this BOOK. I moved out after staying in my duplex for over ten years. I thinlk this is normal ware and tare for the rug, and painting is a no brainer. My landlord is so hard up for my deposit, He stated " the closet rails are off track and I left a silver ware holder in a drawer, oh and two of the drawers were not wiped out. I clean that place from top to bottom. Please help. may need a laywer. b0ys9989@yahoo.com Renee
Call the rent stabilization board, they will mail the book too you.
Bob.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:16 PM

362 posts, read 408,821 times
Was just about to post the handbook for y'all...

http://www.dca.ca.gov/publications/l...k/catenant.pdf

Old 03-09-2011, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 22,753 times
Thanks for posting. I found the handbook but cannot locate any detail on if the landlord is reponsible for carpeting and painting my apartment. I've been in the same apartment for 19 years and the carpeting is the same. I painted 2 years ago and had to pay half (it was painted back in '98). The bedrooms & hallway have not been painted since 1998 and I cannot afford to pay half. The handbook does not clarify this. Can anyone help?

Old 03-24-2012, 01:31 PM

1 posts, read 20,399 times
I have received a 60 day notice to move without any explaination as to why. Never late on rent, never had complaints, quiet. The landlord informed me when I moved in the carpet was one year old and they change the carpet every two years. If I did not stay two years I would have to pay for the carpet. Since she is forcing me out of my apt. after 1 year and 4 months can she keep my deposit for the carpet replacement. Help???

Old 03-24-2012, 07:07 PM

2,410 posts, read 2,688,987 times
Only if you damaged it in some way.
Their policy to change carpet every two years is their policy, and unless stipulated in the rental agreement that you are responsible for new carpet installation (which I find absurd) You can sue to get your deposit back if they charge you for new carpet.
Bob.

Old 03-28-2012, 05:36 PM

14,449 posts, read 20,882,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistnf8te1 View Post
I have received a 60 day notice to move without any explaination as to why. Never late on rent, never had complaints, quiet. The landlord informed me when I moved in the carpet was one year old and they change the carpet every two years. If I did not stay two years I would have to pay for the carpet. Since she is forcing me out of my apt. after 1 year and 4 months can she keep my deposit for the carpet replacement. Help???
What does your lease say about the carpet? I have never heard of anyone replacing carpet every two years, even the cheap stuff last longer then that. In most states the landlord cannot charge you for normal wear and tear, such as replacing carpet at the end of its useful life, usually 8-10 years. Staining and tears or other damage in the carpet are not normal wear and tear. You could be charged for that.

If your original one year lease has run out, you are renting on a month to month basis, and your landlord can ask you to move out with the minimum notice required by state law. In many places its only 30 days, it could be 60 days in CA. You can look up your state laws in the first sticky thread listed in this renting forum.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:04 PM

4,295 posts, read 4,265,637 times
OP, why don't you CALL the landlord and ask her what is going on? (I never understand why people don't do that FIRST -- call the most logical person.)

As for the carpet, that makes no sense. "The carpet is one year old and if you move before 2 years you will have to pay for a new carpet" -- what?? As others have pointed out, carpet -- even cheap carpet -- lasts longer than 2 years. I don't know anyone who replaces carpet that frequently (unless they have 10 kids and 12 pets). But even so, why would the TENANT have to pay for a new carpet (assuming the old one wasn't damaged by said tenant)?

Read your lease!! Talk to the landlord!!

Old 03-29-2012, 12:19 PM

12,284 posts, read 11,857,017 times
If your there 17 years, obviously you aren't moving anytime soon, don't be so cheap, buy the paint and carpet yourself. What is the big deal, you are the one living there.

I hate tenants that dont want to life a finger or spend a dime, makes me crazy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting