Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 02:43 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times

Advertisements

Did you know that approximately 50% of people on the internet are on dial-up? That's far from 99% of people having that as a requirement, even in places that they purchase, never mind that they lease. Just because it's of vital importance to you doesn't mean that it's of vital importance to everybody.

What's of vital importance to everybody is water, electricity, sewer. The rest, I hate to inform you, is extras that a lot of people live just fine without, so are not things that should be assumed are provided, or, for that matter, someone looking for a rental should expect to be told are NOT available. Again, it's the responsibility of the person to whom they are of vital importance to take personal responsibility for that and ASK. To do anything else is asking to be treated not as a responsible adult, but as someone not competent of being responsible for themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 02:51 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Did you know that approximately 50% of people on the internet are on dial-up? That's far from 99% of people having that as a requirement, even in places that they purchase, never mind that they lease. Just because it's of vital importance to you doesn't mean that it's of vital importance to everybody.

I don't know anyone who uses dial-up anymore. I had it a long time ago, and I would honestly rather go without internet than use dial-up. I'd use my local library's computers with high-speed.

The place we rent is in a subdivision where only part of it has cable. (Guess which part I live in? ) I could get a dish but I'm not a big TV watcher, and I don't feel like paying for a bunch of channels I don't want, so we just make do with an antenna.
However we do get cell service, and I have Wi-Fi for internet. We live out in the middle of Bum**** and I have to have SOME way of connecting with the rest of the world.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,478,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

What's of vital importance to everybody is water, electricity, sewer. The rest, I hate to inform you, is extras that a lot of people live just fine without, so are not things that should be assumed are provided, or, for that matter, someone looking for a rental should expect to be told are NOT available. Again, it's the responsibility of the person to whom they are of vital importance to take personal responsibility for that and ASK. To do anything else is asking to be treated not as a responsible adult, but as someone not competent of being responsible for themselves.
On rural properties, even sewer is in question. Most rural properties here are septic systems instead of sewer. And water is from a well, rather than city hookups. Neither a buyer nor a tenant should take anything for granted on a rural property.

Old 05-19-2010, 02:57 PM

1,113 posts, read 3,494,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
On rural properties, even sewer is in question. Most rural properties here are septic systems instead of sewer. And water is from a well, rather than city hookups. Neither a buyer nor a tenant should take anything for granted on a rural property.
If a LL tells me a place has well water, I'm outta there. I rented a place with well water-it turned everything orange, smelled like rotten eggs, and was undrinkable. Yuck-never again.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:05 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
True. I was using "sewer" to mean all of it, but, yes, there are folks who freak out at the idea of a septic system. (We've actually had less trouble over the past almost 14 years with our septic system than we had with city sewer when we lived in the city.)

Old 05-19-2010, 03:43 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
A couple of thoughts...

The for rent listing posted by the property management company said the following"

Sewer-Septic
Water-Well
Electric-PSE
Gas-N/A
Cable-N/A

Under notes it said: Blue Sky Satellite Service Dish and Modem on site. Tenant to contact Blue Sky for additional information.

Nothing was said about cell phone coverage... I would think anyone viewing the home could check coverage be making a call?

The problem came about when the tenant of 8 weeks was offered a work from home job that requires high speed Internet service and the tenant balked at the $80 +/- monthly fee.

As an example... I live in Oakland CA, a city of over 400,000 people. I have DSL... my neighbors can't get it and don't know when they can... the only node can support 5 subscribers and there are at least 25 on the waiting list.

AT&T sent out mailers with a low introductory rate... I was the first to sign up and it took the installers a couple of weeks to get it working... the supervisor said I should have never been offered it because the system doesn't have the capability based on the where the service originates and the city wants new services underground and AT&T said the cost to run new underground cable is not justifiable... and this is in a big city of 400k.

City Sewer and Water can easy run more that $200 a month in some areas... having well water and septic can be a significant savings... I paid about $1500 last year for sewer and basic water... I only wish I could have the option of private well and septic.

The Washington property is rural acreage... it's not city living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting