Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:23 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times

Advertisements

Seems just when I thought I've heard it all... a friend is having problems with his new tenant of 8 weeks.

The rental home is very nice, semi-rural on about 10 acres in a small valley.

Previous tenant rented for 5 years while building his retirement home in the area.

New tenant of 8 weeks wants out of the lease because they just found out Cable TV and DSL are not available in that part of the county... and they are really upset... says they need it for work/school... this is after 8 weeks of living there.

Previous Tenant never watched TV and only used a DVD player on occasion. So TV reception was never an issue.

Satellite is an option... maybe $160 per month for both? Oh... Cell Phone's don't work there either... at least not at the home.

Tenant has filed a complaint with the PUC that Landlord is renting a home without proper utilities... home does have telephone and power
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:42 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,004,925 times
Sounds like an awesome house!

Too bad the tenant didn't do his homework before moving in. Landlords are not required to supply phone service, cable or internet. Goes to show ya how spoiled we've all become.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:31 PM

98 posts, read 618,885 times
I agree they should have asked up front if the place was cable/phone ready before they gave money and signed a lease. I always make it a point to ask if what I want or need is available before agreeing to rent. Most persons set up their utilities before they move in. Why did it take them 8 wks to discover and complain about no internet?

Old 05-12-2010, 06:40 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,281,000 times
actually... I bet cable is available. In my home, I can have the cable company come out and hook me up.... at a cost of over two thousand dollars.... to run the line about 400-500 feet. lol... nevermind

We have dish and since we do not have the proper circuits for phone DSL.... we use a cricket wireless modem. He can purchase boosters to increase his signal.

This is his issue, not the landlords. Nowhere in the lease does it say that the landlord is to provide internet or cable ( I assume).

Old 05-12-2010, 07:16 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,880,155 times
The tenant should have thought that a rural house will have issues. I've never, as a LL, provided cable or telephone. It's in the lease that the tenant is responsible for all costs and hook ups for telephone and cable. I'm in the city, so it's no issue. I guess the tenant needs to find the star in the sky and get satelite.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 PM

28,114 posts, read 63,642,682 times
I think the renters are a military family that lived on or near military installations...

I've stayed at the property and found it to be extremely tranquil...

Apparently, the nearest cable for TV is almost two miles away... I guess there is always dial-up

I too was surprised that this is an issue 8 weeks later... apparently, it's something to do with a job the wife was offered... a company offered her a position that requires Internet... work from home thing.

Many that seek a slower, pastoral setting to live... often have no idea what country living entails vs city dwelling.... well water, septic, gravel drives... etc...

Old 05-13-2010, 12:49 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
If it was going to be a work from home gig, it's a fair bet dialup or a USB cricket modem won't cut it. Those companies expect high speed internet be available for them to employ someone.

In this case, they should have considered ALL the options they MAY need before signing the lease. Too sad, too bad, but I'm sure your friend will be able to find someone else who is perfectly happy with the place.

Old 05-13-2010, 06:59 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
I guess if they want to buy out their lease your friend can make a deal with them but I'd love to be a fly on the wall when their complaint about lack of "utilities" comes up before the PUC! What a hoot.

Old 05-13-2010, 12:39 PM

504 posts, read 1,545,059 times
I can bet that Satellite would work for them in this case. They could do tv, internet and phone (IP Telephony) through it.

Satellite Internet - HughesNet High-Speed Satellite Internet Provider
Make the most of Skype - free internet calls and great value calls
Vonage Local & Long Distance Phone Service. VoIP Phone System.

Sounds like they just don't want to pay the little extra for it though. But if she's working from home, that means they are saving on gas etc.

Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM

815 posts, read 2,997,078 times
People forget (or just don't think about) that many rural areas don't have cable, DSL, cell phone (or more often 3G cell). DSL will never be common in rural areas due to how it works (has to be within a certain distance of the phone company central office). Hopefully your friend was honest at the time of leasing and said those things weren't available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting