Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:14 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times

Advertisements

Dogs that are "house broken" do not have accidents inside the bedroom to the point that the carpet stinks.

You are not realistic about the training and behavior of your dogs, so I have no trouble with believing that there were pet accidents elsewhere in the house also.

If you want to have dogs and not properly care for them or train them, then you are the one who gets to pay for the damage. So pay up and I suggest that you either train your dogs or properly confine them at all times or you will be replacing all the carpet in your next rental, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:23 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
No carpet lasts forever; even the highest quality wool.
Few landlords will install anything higher than moderate level quality.

LL's who do install better quality carpet will rarely compound this mistake
by renting to tenants with dogs. If they do... they have only themselves to blame.

Most rental quality carpet, even if well cared for, won't last past 10 years and/or 3 turnovers.
LL's who do rent to people with dogs have to be complete idiots to not expect "issues"...
which is why the NOT clueless won't allow dogs in until the last cycle before replacement.

Conversely....
Tenants who accept an apartment with less than new or good condition carpet need to
document these defects and faults and their discussion of the LL's expectation for durability...
and what their reasonable depreciated dollar valuation of that older carpeting really is.

Tenants who move in with (or get) dogs have an even greater duty & burden to do this.

Last edited by MrRational; 07-03-2013 at 09:32 AM..

Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,818 times
I am told it is my responsibility to take care of any damages including the sewage problems on their end that damaged the room carpets and pad. I want to replace the carpet so bad, but they want swatches to choose from. I was going to have my friends that do wood flooring, carpet, etc. done for a much lower cost, but I would not be given samples to show for landlord. It is usually left over scraps from larger homes. Crazy! What would you do?

Old 03-10-2014, 02:37 PM

37,105 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blueeyes View Post
I am told it is my responsibility to take care of any damages including the sewage problems on their end that damaged the room carpets and pad. I want to replace the carpet so bad, but they want swatches to choose from. I was going to have my friends that do wood flooring, carpet, etc. done for a much lower cost, but I would not be given samples to show for landlord. It is usually left over scraps from larger homes. Crazy! What would you do?
Welcome to City Data!

You have responded to a thread that is six months old and does not appear to relate to your situation. Next time, it would be best to start a new thread.

Your question is unclear. If you are renting, you should not be replacing damaged flooring unless you did something to cause the sewage backup. How many rooms are involved? Do you have renter's insurance?

Usually the landlord will choose the replacement. Having you approve a color you would like would be kind, but the landlord would provide a swatch, not you.

If you have someone that the landlord approves to do the work, the landlord should have the opportunity to inspect the materials, even if no formal "swatch" is available. He can be shown a piece of the wood flooring or a "swatch" cut from the actual carpet you plan to use.

If you have had sewage backup, has the damaged flooring already been removed and cleanup completed? If not, your apartment is a health hazard and you probably should not be living in it.

Also, since carpet wears out, you cannot be charged for full replacement value, even if you damage it. The cost has to be discounted based on how old the carpet is.

Old 03-10-2014, 06:14 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
I install mid grade carpet. It's been my experience cheap carpet doesn't last and gets worn out fast and the expensive carpet really makes no sense because it is a rental.
If I had a tenant ( and I had) for 8-10 years I would dimply just consider it a need to do. Carpet and paint would be a given. The carpet would be at the end of its useful life anyway.

Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,109,755 times
At 8-10 years, the carpet would be depreciated out.

Old 01-30-2015, 08:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,443 times
Our renter let her dog pee all over the carpet on the stairs. The poor dog was only taken out 1 time a day for a year and a half so it is understandable that the dog had no other choice but to pee on the carpet that leads to the front door. The carpet is at least 10 yrs old. Do I charger for all the pee stains or charge her to have it steamed cleaned at her expense? thanks for any help in advance.

Old 01-31-2015, 02:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anagardens View Post
Our renter let her dog pee all over the carpet on the stairs. The poor dog was only taken out 1 time a day for a year and a half so it is understandable that the dog had no other choice but to pee on the carpet that leads to the front door. The carpet is at least 10 yrs old. Do I charger for all the pee stains or charge her to have it steamed cleaned at her expense? thanks for any help in advance.
You charge for the total expense. If the urine soaked through to padding underneath which will have to be replaced, that's on the tenant. If the urine soaked through to wooden flooring, that has to be treated too at the tenant's expense. If a professional determines that the carpet is beyond salvaging, the tenant pays for replacement pro-rated for the age of the carpet. The obligation of the tenant is to return the unit in the same condition that it was on move-in, less normal wear and tear. A pet urinating all over a carpet isn't normal wear and tear but damage.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,372 times
We moved from apartment after 51/2 years and leasing people charged us $750 for carpet. We got new carpet, but we live for 51/2 years and they said carpet's age is 10 years and it's not written in any lease paper. They are charging without any reason. Pl suggest what to do, if this case is in our favor then we proceed with legal agencies or should we pay these charges. We don't think these are genuine charges. Even after 5 years they have to change carpet, no one can live 10 years with the dirty carpets. I asked them to negotiate the charges but they don't want to reduce.

Pl reply asap.

Old 03-02-2015, 12:06 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,673,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vv3335 View Post
We moved from apartment after 51/2 years and leasing people charged us $750 for carpet. We got new carpet, but we live for 51/2 years and they said carpet's age is 10 years and it's not written in any lease paper. They are charging without any reason. Pl suggest what to do, if this case is in our favor then we proceed with legal agencies or should we pay these charges. We don't think these are genuine charges. Even after 5 years they have to change carpet, no one can live 10 years with the dirty carpets. I asked them to negotiate the charges but they don't want to reduce.

Pl reply asap.
The lifespan of carpet depends on its quality and there's no law which says carpets have to be changed every 5 years. They cannot charge you, "without any reason" but need to itemize the damages being deducted from your security deposit in accordance with state laws (which are linked in the first "sticky" on this forum) and you have the right to contest any charges you feel are unreasonable. $750 is obviously not for total replacement cost and is a pro-rated charge. Suggest you read your state laws on security deposits and then question the charges and ask for a detailed itemization if you weren't provided one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting