Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2010, 10:05 PM

218 posts, read 720,732 times

Advertisements

In September 2009 me and a friend of mine moved out of a apartment. We both turned in the keys to the apartment and moved out of town and never heard from them again. We fast forward to a few weeks ago. I get a notice from a collection agency saying I own the almost $1000. I called the property management group and asked about why they believe we own them any money, but they just tell me its out of there hands now that they sold the account to collections. I feel that there is no reason I should pay this when I can not get a answer of why I owe it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 10:21 PM

37,103 posts, read 41,226,282 times
The collection agency will need to provide proof of the debt. Ask them to give you an itemized statement.

Did you get your security deposit back? Were there any deductions for repairs? Did you pay your rent in full and on time every month?

Old 07-27-2010, 10:47 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
Are you sure the friend didn't get notice? Usually notices would be sent certified mail to the forwarding address given. If they are signed for, that is considered notice.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 AM

218 posts, read 720,732 times
The notice from the collection agency was sent to me but had mine and my old roommates name on it. I never got my deposit back but then again after I moved and turned in my key they never contacted me. The deposit was only $200 but figured it was a lost cause because we cleaned the apartment except for vacuuming before we left since the vacuum broke on us. I am going to fight this, I have no problem paying if I caused any damage but I feel like I am getting screwed over.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:05 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I don't mean this notice, I mean notice of the amount due in the first place. Whose address did you give them as a forwarding address when you moved out? They may have sent a bill to the roommate, and then when it was turned over to collections, the collection company hunted you down to serve you as well.

Old 08-02-2010, 02:24 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,055,874 times
First off, when exactly did you receive your letter? I really, really hope it was within the last 30 days. That's pretty important.

The first thing you need to do is send out a basic "demand to validate" letter. This tells the debt collector that you dispute the debt and that they need to prove you owe it. If you send it within 30 days of your receipt of their letter, they MUST cease all collection activity until the debt has been validated. This needs to be sent certified mail, return receipt. Do not sign the letter. Your printed name is fine.

Oh, and order your credit reports now while you're at it. Best to get the hard copy they mail to you as it usually has more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting