Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 04:26 AM

5,328 posts, read 6,016,928 times

Advertisements

In a perfect world, all heirs would agree on the distribution of property. This isn't a perfect world, which is why we have laws. Executors DISTRIBUTE the estate, pay the creditors, pay the taxes and file an accounting. This is not supposed to be a game of "first come, first served" or "finders, keepers." In order to keep out the vultures, a good estate attorney advises executors to secure the property, i.e., change the locks, etc., ASAP. BTW, just because you want something to be legal, doesn't make it so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,690,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
No, the heirs can take whatever stuff they want; it's not illegal.
Wrong. They absolutely cannot.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:21 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times
Come on, guys, I am not talking about taking stuff under "finders keepers". The executor is the one who balances the books on the estate, which would include stuff of the estate that an heir already has.

Let's say heir A is driving dad's car, then dad dies, and heir B is the executor. B doesn't immediately demand the car from A. If A likes the car and B doesn't care if A drives the car, and the will doesn't say otherwise, then B distributes the rest of dad's property to A and himself after SUBTRACTING the value of the car from A's share. That's called BALANCE the books on the estate.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:34 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Since the Landlord is related and, thus, presumably a potential heir, shouldn't they be banned from entering without supervision and possibly taking anything from the property, as well, if the OP's fiance is under that theory?

This is what I'm detecting here - that possibility being a concern to the OP's fiance.

Old 05-25-2010, 09:04 AM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times
Quote:
That has nothing to do with death. I could take my valuables out and drive them to storage and then claim maintenance or the landlord stole it, which should be obvious is a blatant lie.

Your question is NOT about death. Your question is about access to an apartment that is NOT yours.

Just the same.....BOTH parties should be there. LL's need to cover their butts just like tenants.

You could NOT take all of your valuables and say someone stole them if you and the LL witness and sign documents that YOU removed them. Do you see the logic here?

No, it's why can't the LL get a grip?
What is the urgency with getting access to the apartment? According to your post it's "pictures" and "papers". I could understand if a cat or dog was in there. You mean to tell me you can't wait a few days?

Old 05-25-2010, 05:58 PM
JS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbatiste View Post
What is the urgency with getting access to the apartment? According to your post it's "pictures" and "papers". I could understand if a cat or dog was in there. You mean to tell me you can't wait a few days?
Whether I could wait a few days or not is irrelevant. The landlord cannot stop me from going in if I have a key and permission to use it. Go ahead and call the cops from your resort island and try to get me arrested for breaking and entering -- it won't work.

Any argument the LL has in this case against the son going in to retrieve dad's personal belongings is a family dispute, not a LL-tenant dispute. The LL *acting in the position of being a LL, not a relative* can't stop the son from using dad's key.

Old 05-25-2010, 08:54 PM

494 posts, read 890,332 times
Quote:
Whether I could wait a few days or not is irrelevant. The landlord cannot stop me from going in if I have a key and permission to use it. Go ahead and call the cops from your resort island and try to get me arrested for breaking and entering -- it won't work.

Any argument the LL has in this case against the son going in to retrieve dad's personal belongings is a family dispute, not a LL-tenant dispute. The LL *acting in the position of being a LL, not a relative* can't stop the son from using dad's key.
Sure they can. Change the locks. Let in the court-appointed executor and nobody else.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:21 PM
JS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Occam's Bikini Wax View Post
Sure they can. Change the locks. Let in the court-appointed executor and nobody else.
I suppose, but then the LL woud have to forgo the rent for the one week after dad died. The son isn't going to pay rent for dad's stuff that he can't get.

Old 05-26-2010, 07:45 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
The only truly fair thing, since the LL has a dog in this fight not as a landlord but as a relative, is for NEITHER party to be able to have access, if one party doesn't.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM

278 posts, read 1,519,897 times
[quote=JS1;14323690]No, the heirs can take whatever stuff they want;

I can't believe you said this....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting