U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2010, 07:15 AM

24,884 posts, read 36,505,679 times

Advertisements

Throw some basket ball balls against the ceiling...they will get the point...since that is so annoying and some people only get it when they hear sounds from other people since they are deaf to their own noise.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 07:31 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,960,275 times
bentlebee, I laughed reading your post, but I don't think this is a good idea!!

When you give the noisy neighbor a "hint" regarding his/her obnoxiousness, two things might happen: either the individual stops, or he/she becomes even noisier.

I mentioned my former "Elvis" neighbor on previous posts, and sadly he was not the only one, who got very angry when he was singing and I simply closed the window or was on the phone and would say "I am sorry, so and so, I cannot hear you" within a distance he could hear me too.

When he was about to be evicted his friend came to my house!!!! and said "why are you complaining about him, he is such a nice guy!"
Is this any kind of joke?! From that day I learned, for the tenth time, a clueless will be a clueless, and always oblivious of other people's rights......

People who are truly obnoxious could not care less whether they are disturbing other neighbors or not.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:32 AM

24,671 posts, read 54,040,567 times
Just an observation but how many more threads do we need on noisy neighbors whether they're upstairs, downstairs, sidewise or in the next block?

I guess the answer is something along the lines of, "however many it takes on the remote chance that some new and hitherto unthought of brilliant suggestion might just pop up!"?

Old 06-02-2010, 09:34 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,126,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
The problem is directly above us. So whats the next step?
Call the police, there's got to be a noise ordinance in town.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:06 PM

12,673 posts, read 20,192,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Not unless a Judge signs off on it and prepares an order for the law enforcement to forcibly remove if it comes to that... at least that is the process here in California.
Oh ok, I wonder if that happens in Texas also. I mean if they get evicted and that is the end right?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacq63 View Post
I sympathize with the OP. I think it's a damn shame if they have to move b/c of the neighbors being thoughtless. We've had the same problem, but luckily haven't heard from the upstairs people lately. I was told that here in Sydney they'd be given a letter outlining the by-law they're breaking. No doubt that'd be ignored. I think they get a fine with the second letter, then eviction.

I'd like to go and talk to them (the noisy people) directly, but they sound scary *whimper*.

The advice given to me was to let the real estate agent know and ask them to write to the strata secretary of the block, who'd take it from there. I just think it's wrong when someone trying to live a quiet life has to change their surroundings b/c someone else is being an a$$.
I have never talked to them. I am reporting everything as Anonymous to the Management.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
I think you are probably going to have to let the building manager know you will be moving unless your upstairs neighbors move first. Then next time live where no one is above you. You have my full sympathy.

I was married to a man many decades ago who caused me much heartache with threats from landlords and visits from police about blasting music. Nothing -- including the most expensive headphones and a brand new baby -- could convince him to turn it down. Thank goodness we finally bought a house and thank goodness even more I finally got the nerve to leave him. Saw him for the first time in about 20 years at my son's wedding and he's practically deaf.
They are happy for us to move to a different apartment within the complex but we don't want to do that. Its too much of a hassle even if they paid 100% for moving expenses. Well, I did not have a choice which building and apartment number to pick.

Brick houses are quiet right?

Old 06-02-2010, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Throw some basket ball balls against the ceiling...they will get the point...since that is so annoying and some people only get it when they hear sounds from other people since they are deaf to their own noise.
Lol, well its the dogs they have upstairs. They run back and forth and throw heavy stuff on the floor. Sometimes it feels like the ceiling will break.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Call the police, there's got to be a noise ordinance in town.
That would probably me by last resort. The thing this is happening almost a year in now so I have lot of patience.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:21 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,960,275 times
It is easy to say it is the dogs. If they were responsible owners and played outside/took them for walks enough the dogs would most likely not be running inside the house.

I have had a lot of neighbors that were way worse than the loudest dogs I have ever met. I would rather have a hundred dogs than a couple noisy obnoxious people as neighbors. Dogs don't realize it, people do, and are oblivious/clueless.

Do not blame the pets. It is the owner's fault.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting