U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:27 AM

2,065 posts, read 3,946,051 times

Advertisements

Would you agree that not paying is not the solution as well?!

I am, by all means, not saying your complaint is incorrect or unfair... I have lived close to bad neighbors and know exactly how bad it is.

But don't you think the "a for b" solution is not right as well? This is what I am trying to say.
If you don't pay your rent, regardless of the reason, you may be evicted (or go through the headache of an "almost eviction"), I just don't think it is worth it... also, the LL could refuse partial payments as this is not what was on the lease.

As a LL I would do everything possible to resolve the problem, but I would not accept partial payments.

You can also say that there was nothing on the lease about having to put up with noisy neighbors, but I think as most evictions take place due to lack of payment, and "10 bucks less a day" is just not the best solution for you either...

I would move out before that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 AM

15,094 posts, read 23,014,732 times
Well, by subtracting the 10 bucks, (not that you have no intention of paying the rent), it is basically to let the LL know that this is not acceptable, and that you mean business....and will not tolerate to pay full rent and have to be subject to un-earthly noises beyond reasonable times

I told my LL, look I'm not playing this crap, do something......
yay for me, they finally did move.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:58 PM

1,475 posts, read 3,074,395 times
chamber the shotgun befor you slam down the window? .. ::grins:: sorry I was being unkind to the howling banshee next door.. LOL

Old 06-30-2010, 12:02 AM

926 posts, read 1,821,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
Most people know they are being noisy and simply don't care. It is very difficult to reason with a person who could not care less about respecting other neighbors right to peace and quiet, especially after a certain time. Also, after that the highly self-entitled neighbor will most likely do his/her best to be even more obnoxious.
So, honestly, don't bother...
I know the feeling...my next door neighbor's like this, he has guests over who yell in the hall at 2am, has loud parties, but he's lived there for 20 yrs and who am I to get him to "get a clue"?

A bit off topic here, but again about noise...at work this can happen too. You ask a coworker to please mind the noise they make (in my case it's a woman who wears a metal chain type bracelet and drags it along a desk, hurting my ears and seriously stressing me out) , plus when I talked to her, she refused to reduce her noise, saying that no one , not even HR (so in the context of apartments, not even the landlord) , would make her remove it. You have inconsiderate people everywhere and frankly I can't wait to move AND switch jobs.

Old 07-01-2010, 03:25 PM

57 posts, read 233,693 times
This isn't an easy thing to solve, and is the most common soundproofing complaint. There are things you can do if you're able to remove the ceiling drywall, to gain access to the underside of that problematic subfloor. How to Soundproof a Ceiling | Soundproofing Ceilings Solutions | Soundproofing Company

Old 07-01-2010, 03:30 PM

236 posts, read 468,351 times
That is why I refuse to live downstairs. The bad thing is many apartments new and old do not consider noise into the framework of the building. I hope this problem is soon resolved.

Old 07-01-2010, 09:02 PM

12,673 posts, read 20,141,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
tell your LL that for each night they disturb you, you are going to deduct 10 dollars off the rent, and stick to it.
you will see how fast the LL takes of the problem.

I did this, and it worked. I told my LL, I dont care what you do, I dont care how you do it. but these but jobs next door to me are stomping around like a herd of elephants....so for every night they keep me up, minus 10 for you....

problem was solved.
This will be my loss as I will be evicted and my account in collections.

Old 07-02-2010, 04:34 AM

8,843 posts, read 8,363,466 times
Default The problems of apartment living. . .

Unfortunately most apartment complexes are built as cheaply as possible and there are too many tenants who have no concern for their neighbors. They live in their own world and make their own rules. And it just takes one neighbor like that to ruin it for others.

Soundproofing is practically nil in the majority of apartments...apartment owners are in it for the $$, not for the convenience of the tenants.

I certainly agree about living upstairs to help alleviate the noise; however, you can still end up with neighbors on either side of you playing music or tv so loud that you have to wear ear plugs to try to get some sleep at night. And the constant 'boom, boom' of the bass is very irritating.

And then you can also have the barking dog(s) to have to listen to!

I agree it shouldn't be that way...but when you have people who don't care, you end up the victim.

Sometime apartment managers will take care of the problem, and sometimes not....and that goes back to 'if they care'.

Friend of mine got disgusted with the constant noise and was able to finally buy a home...and then was very disappointed to find out that the neighbors next door were noiser than what he had dealt with in an apartment!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:13 AM

8,167 posts, read 16,812,826 times
Most of the time the ppl aren't the problem, the building itself is the problem.

I'm lucky. My current rental has concrete floors and the shared walls are concrete as well. I hear nothing! When I first moved in, the guy across the hall had parites til 4am. Those kinds of things can be handled very easily because ppl can be controlled, buildings cannot. lol

About 10 yrs ago, we rented a brand new place and it was horrible. We could hear the neighbors above us peeing in the middle of the night. We could hear their phone ring, we could hear every step they made. We complained and complained but there wasn't anything that could be done. The problem wasn't my neighbors, the problem was the cheaply built building.

We lived there about 4 mths. The noise was keeping us and our children up at night. The neighbors above us worked in the service industry. They would get home at 2am and would keep us up until about 5 am every night. We documented everything and we able to break our lease free and clear. I feel sorry for anyone who lives in a place like that..your hands are literally tied because unless they totally redo the building, you're going to hear your neighbors.

Old 07-02-2010, 05:58 AM

8,536 posts, read 6,109,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
We have complained many times and they have sent violations to the people who live above us but they are still loud even after midnight. They have dogs running back and forth and dropping heavy stuff on the floor. Its like loud bang.

What steps do you think the management should take?
They have also thrown debris at our balcony.

Any stories to share?
Look into the town's "Noise Ordinance". These folks are a nuisance and might need to be talked to by the Police. They can issue tickets to them if it persists.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting