U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Labor Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 06:58 AM

11,859 posts, read 10,287,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And what's the next recourse--when the cops do nothing because people make noise during the course of their day--they are allowed to WALK, not tiptoe, through their own apartment.

Toughen up and deal with it--or move. I don't have a problem with my upstairs neighbor. Does it sound like thundering elephants sometimes? Sure it does. But that's part of living in an apartment!

malaka
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 07:00 AM

11,859 posts, read 10,287,971 times
Quote:
Just stop whining. That's all your neighbors ask.
You are of no use to anyone here, your comments are totally unnecessary.

I think it is time to play elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:16 AM

27,238 posts, read 25,099,250 times
Who's playing? If you can't take living in an apartment underneath someone else, then you shouldn't do it. I live in a ground floor apartment, and I EXPECT noise from upstairs. They're walking on my ceiling after all. You learn to live with it. Kwitcherbitchin.

Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 AM

4,406 posts, read 4,841,200 times
Quote:
Who's playing? If you can't take living in an apartment underneath someone else, then you shouldn't do it. I live in a ground floor apartment, and I EXPECT noise from upstairs. They're walking on my ceiling after all. You learn to live with it. Kwitcherbitchin.

Or you move.

Yes, you have to learn to live with some noise.

But, I dont' expect to hear people peeing in the middle of the night and yet, when we rented a brand new $1200 apartment, this is what we heard every night. Not only would we hear the bathroom noise, we would hear their phone conversations, we would hear their tvs, we could hear it all.

The problem wasn't the tenant, it was the building. It was cheaply made and we were told it was soundproof...obviously, it wasn't.

We complained over and over to the landlord. They spoke to the tenants,( who themselves had complaints about the ppl above them) but night after night it was the same thing. We all were losing sleep every night and personally, I dont' want to hear anyone using the toilet.

We finally talked to the contractor who said that there wasn't any insulation between the floors and walls and they had to speed up construction to meet a deadline. With this info in tow, we broke our lease, without penalty and moved on. They couldn't and didn't say one word about us breaking our lease. They also returned our deposit

Old 07-06-2010, 07:48 AM

57 posts, read 132,991 times
The problem is the US building code. It does not require much sound isolation at all. You'll have to install soundproofing if you want it quiet.

Old 07-06-2010, 05:31 PM

242 posts, read 55,620 times
Quote:
You are making excuses for people who have no respect for others. Why should anyone have to suffer anyone's excessive noise? Instead of directing your nonsense at respectable people who are clearly just fed up, direct it at the idiots who do not respect the fact that they live in an apartment and not their own house, so cut down on the noise and loud music. It's all about respect for others - something sadly lacking in US society.

The noisy troublemakers should move and live on the streets or something...I really don't care.

"Do unto others"

Old 07-06-2010, 05:37 PM

242 posts, read 55,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted White View Post
The problem is the US building code. It does not require much sound isolation at all. You'll have to install soundproofing if you want it quiet.
This is also true. I lived on a Dublin council estate (our "projects"), but I seldom heard the people next door or above me. Walls were a lot thicker. Over here,walls are so thin that you can hear your neighbour taking a s***.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:15 PM

14 posts, read 2,430 times
you losers should just stop whining, improve your credit and actually BUY property. Until then, just **** already.

Old 07-06-2010, 09:02 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,358,031 times
Quote:
And what's the next recourse--when the cops do nothing because people make noise during the course of their day--they are allowed to WALK, not tiptoe, through their own apartment.

Toughen up and deal with it--or move. I don't have a problem with my upstairs neighbor. Does it sound like thundering elephants sometimes? Sure it does. But that's part of living in an apartment!
Do they make any concrete apartments and/or sound proof?

Old 07-06-2010, 09:05 PM

12,673 posts, read 12,358,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balsero View Post
you losers should just stop whining, improve your credit and actually BUY property. Until then, just **** already.
Lol, buying property is not always the best route. This depends on individual financial situation. 1 in 4 Americans are 'underwater' now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting