Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 06:40 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,718,620 times

Advertisements

We have complained many times and they have sent violations to the people who live above us but they are still loud even after midnight. They have dogs running back and forth and dropping heavy stuff on the floor. Its like loud bang.

What steps do you think the management should take?
They have also thrown debris at our balcony.

Any stories to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2010, 06:57 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
We have complained many times and they have sent violations to the people who live above us but they are still loud even after midnight. They have dogs running back and forth and dropping heavy stuff on the floor. Its like loud bang.

What steps do you think the management should take?
They have also thrown debris at our balcony.

Any stories to share?
Noise... had the same problem when I became resident manager at my first complex...

I almost eliminated the problem by installing wall to wall carpet over commercial rate 8 lb re-bond pad and floor to ceiling window drapes... the noise reduction was dramatic... it was a shame to cover beautiful hardwood... but it worked.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Noise... had the same problem when I became resident manager at my first complex...

I almost eliminated the problem by installing wall to wall carpet over commercial rate 8 lb re-bond pad and floor to ceiling window drapes... the noise reduction was dramatic... it was a shame to cover beautiful hardwood... but it worked.
The problem is directly above us. So whats the next step?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:02 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,799,363 times
I just posted something regarding noisy neighbors today... maybe this is not an option for you at this point, but my most sincere advice is, move out.

Throughout my life I have had so many neighbors who were absolutely oblivious of other people... the "if it is not bothering me, who cares" attitude...the most recent one was a singer from hell, who would simply swear at me when I closed my bedroom window, which happened to be right beside the porch where he tried to play the guitar and sing. Many neighbors complained about him, and he ended up moving out not to be evicted, but insisted that others had to put up with him, that he simply was entitled to make as much noise as he wanted.

I have had endless discussions with managers, LLs, etc. Trust me, it simply does not work, in 99% of times.
I am so, so tired to that attitude... so I just move out. Hopefully one day I will not have neighbors so close, and in the meantime I just hope and pray mine will have common sense and act respectfully.

Most people know they are being noisy and simply don't care. It is very difficult to reason with a person who could not care less about respecting other neighbors right to peace and quiet, especially after a certain time. Also, after that the highly self-entitled neighbor will most likely do his/her best to be even more obnoxious.

So, honestly, don't bother...

Old 06-01-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
I just posted something regarding noisy neighbors today... maybe this is not an option for you at this point, but my most sincere advice is, move out.

Throughout my life I have had so many neighbors who were absolutely oblivious of other people... the "if it is not bothering me, who cares" attitude...the most recent one was a singer from hell, who would simply swear at me when I closed my bedroom window, which happened to be right beside the porch where he tried to play the guitar and sing. Many neighbors complained about him, and he ended up moving out not to be evicted, but insisted that others had to put up with him, that he simply was entitled to make as much noise as he wanted.

I have had endless discussions with managers, LLs, etc. Trust me, it simply does not work, in 99% of times.
I am so, so tired to that attitude... so I just move out. Hopefully one day I will not have neighbors so close, and in the meantime I just hope and pray mine will have common sense and act respectfully.

Most people know they are being noisy and simply don't care. It is very difficult to reason with a person who could not care less about respecting other neighbors right to peace and quiet, especially after a certain time. Also, after that the highly self-entitled neighbor will most likely do his/her best to be even more obnoxious.

So, honestly, don't bother...
So the Management should let them move elsewhere? This is disturbing the peace right? They said I do have the 'hassle free' option to move into another apartment within the complex. How is this not a hassle?

Old 06-01-2010, 10:21 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,799,363 times
First thing you have to read your lease and see what it says regarding this issue.

I am afraid I was not clear on my post. You are the one who should move. I know this might not be the right approach to your problem, and keep in mind this is simply my option/opinion. Obviously nobody has to so it this way.

You can complain to every single person under the sun, including management, neighbors, etc. but I am just saying it will probably take a tremendous amount of time and energy to do so. Some people think it is worth it, I don't. This has happened to me, many times...

If the noisy neighbor keeps being noisy regardless, he will probably get a letter, which he will completely ignore. Then he will probably get an eviction letter after you have complained, along with others who are also bothered (if so) a thousand times. If I were you, I would move. Just my 2 cents here.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
First thing you have to read your lease and see what it says regarding this issue.

I am afraid I was not clear on my post. You are the one who should move. I know this might not be the right approach to your problem, and keep in mind this is simply my option/opinion. Obviously nobody has to so it this way.

You can complain to every single person under the sun, including management, neighbors, etc. but I am just saying it will probably take a tremendous amount of time and energy to do so. Some people think it is worth it, I don't. This has happened to me, many times...

If the noisy neighbor keeps being noisy regardless, he will probably get a letter, which he will completely ignore. Then he will probably get an eviction letter after you have complained, along with others who are also bothered (if so) a thousand times. If I were you, I would move. Just my 2 cents here.
They are saying legal actions might have to be taken. If they get a eviction letter then that means by law they have to move out right?

Old 06-02-2010, 12:02 AM

28,107 posts, read 63,396,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
They are saying legal actions might have to be taken. If they get a eviction letter then that means by law they have to move out right?
Not unless a Judge signs off on it and prepares an order for the law enforcement to forcibly remove if it comes to that... at least that is the process here in California.

Old 06-02-2010, 01:11 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,911,288 times
I sympathize with the OP. I think it's a damn shame if they have to move b/c of the neighbors being thoughtless. We've had the same problem, but luckily haven't heard from the upstairs people lately. I was told that here in Sydney they'd be given a letter outlining the by-law they're breaking. No doubt that'd be ignored. I think they get a fine with the second letter, then eviction.

I'd like to go and talk to them (the noisy people) directly, but they sound scary *whimper*.

The advice given to me was to let the real estate agent know and ask them to write to the strata secretary of the block, who'd take it from there. I just think it's wrong when someone trying to live a quiet life has to change their surroundings b/c someone else is being an a$$.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:13 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,603,830 times
I think you are probably going to have to let the building manager know you will be moving unless your upstairs neighbors move first. Then next time live where no one is above you. You have my full sympathy.

I was married to a man many decades ago who caused me much heartache with threats from landlords and visits from police about blasting music. Nothing -- including the most expensive headphones and a brand new baby -- could convince him to turn it down. Thank goodness we finally bought a house and thank goodness even more I finally got the nerve to leave him. Saw him for the first time in about 20 years at my son's wedding and he's practically deaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting