Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 10:58 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Garbage? An LS2 with a T56 is not garbage. Yours was obviously modified, and I'm guessing abused, so your opinion must be considered with that in mind.

Isn't that the same drivetrain in a C6?

Why are you bringing up the motor? That's not the drivetrain. You must be the only one who think the drivetrain in a gto is great.

My C6 doesn't have the old T56 in it. The only thing it shares is that it's an IRS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 10:59 AM

4,246 posts, read 12,026,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Your not the guy in Texas who's turbo GTO went up in flames are you?

Looks like danielone spent a lot of $$ in mods on his GTO: 2006 GTO A4, 60k miles for $15k [Archive] - LS1GTO.com Forums

Changed out a M6 to a A4 for drag racing, sprayed it and all that fun stuff.

I will say the A4 sucked, since my 2006 had it. I had a new tranny replaced at 21k miles under warranty because after I lost 3rd and 4th. I only had a Superchips a tune and drag raced it about 20 times. Damn thing died on me while in San Diego on vacation. It was a fun trip back to Las Vegas with just 1st and 2nd!

Did you read what you quoted in the link? It didn't have a turbo but you probably already knew who's gto did catch on fire.

Transmission was free as was the swap. You call that expensive?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post
Why are you bringing up the motor? That's not the drivetrain. You must be the only one who think the drivetrain in a gto is great.
I'll second what you're saying here, with the caveat that we are talking about drag racing/racing in general. I don't feel either transmission was bad, they were certainly capable of handling the power most would put through them and the A4 was a good drag racing transmission at all but extreme levels with the addition of a stall.

Where the GTO really started to fall apart was the driveshaft, the two piece unit was crap for high power drag racing applications and the aftermarket units were a bear to make properly fit. The rear end suspension was an ancient Opel design, dating back to the late 70's and while the center diff was strong enough with some minor changes, the axle shafts were junk and the overall geometry was horrible. The cars are prone to wheel hop and rebound and it was an issue that could only be solved with massive tires. Tires that required cutting the fenders out and then leading to the need to upgrade the axle shafts.

However, the suspension was pretty capable if we look at the GTO as a grand touring car, which is what it was really meant to be. No one really runs into suspension and drivetrain issues, with the exception of the car being undersprung and having poor strut/shocks from the factory, unless they are using the car for road/drag racing. I drag raced my GTO, but never to the point it would compromise what the car was really about. I found that people who treated them like F-bodies and wanted them for drag racing ended up being the most disappointed in them.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:49 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
I'll second what you're saying here, with the caveat that we are talking about drag racing/racing in general. I don't feel either transmission was bad, they were certainly capable of handling the power most would put through them and the A4 was a good drag racing transmission at all but extreme levels with the addition of a stall.

Where the GTO really started to fall apart was the driveshaft, the two piece unit was crap for high power drag racing applications and the aftermarket units were a bear to make properly fit. The rear end suspension was an ancient Opel design, dating back to the late 70's and while the center diff was strong enough with some minor changes, the axle shafts were junk and the overall geometry was horrible. The cars are prone to wheel hop and rebound and it was an issue that could only be solved with massive tires. Tires that required cutting the fenders out and then leading to the need to upgrade the axle shafts.

However, the suspension was pretty capable if we look at the GTO as a grand touring car, which is what it was really meant to be. No one really runs into suspension and drivetrain issues, with the exception of the car being undersprung and having poor strut/shocks from the factory, unless they are using the car for road/drag racing. I drag raced my GTO, but never to the point it would compromise what the car was really about. I found that people who treated them like F-bodies and wanted them for drag racing ended up being the most disappointed in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieloneil01 View Post

My C6 doesn't have the old T56 in it. The only thing it shares is that it's an IRS.
Sorry, should have realized that when adding significant power to an already powerful car, then using it far beyond it's design intent, there were some failures. And no, I'm not the only one who thinks the driveline is great. People who overbuild then abuse it may feel that way, but not me. I know dozens of GTO owners who are completely happy with their stock vehicles.

Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Kind of off-topic, but I drove the 5.7 auto and a 6 speed 6.0L, and the 6.0L was mucho mucho better-o in every sense of the word. You should have no probs getting your desired hp levels, as there are tons of goats on YouTube pushing well north of that, some even in the 1000hp range on pump gas.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:22 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Kind of off-topic, but I drove the 5.7 auto and a 6 speed 6.0L, and the 6.0L was mucho mucho better-o in every sense of the word. You should have no probs getting your desired hp levels, as there are tons of goats on YouTube pushing well north of that, some even in the 1000hp range on pump gas.
That's a very apples to oranges comparo. The auto is a bit of a dog compared to the manual in stock form. Then you have the "feel" issue with the drive-by-wire throttle on the LS2. It's not 1:1 progressive, for example, 10% pedal may be 25% throttle and 50% pedal may be 75% throttle and the top end feels pretty much dead. This gives you the sensation that the car is a lot faster then it actually is, a trick used on most drive-by-wire systems.

With all that said, the LS2 GTO's are definitely faster than the LS1 GTO's, but it's not a massive difference. The LS2 tends to run around 3 tenths and 3 mph faster in the quarter stock for stock then the LS1. Definitely a difference you would feel and see on the street, but not IMO, a "mucho mucho better-o" difference. Probably the one area I think the LS2 GTO's own the LS1 versions on hands down is the brakes. The LS1 goats have pretty crappy brakes, the LS2 versions were much improved in that department. For instance, even with good aftermarket rotors and pads on my LS1 they still weren't as good as the OEM LS2 brakes. Thankfully it was a pretty easy swap.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:13 AM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Loved my 05 GTO... put almost 68k on that car before trading it in on an 09 G8 GT... Love this car as well.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:04 PM

4,237 posts, read 24,780,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK360 View Post
Loved my 05 GTO... put almost 68k on that car before trading it in on an 09 G8 GT... Love this car as well.
Which would you say is the better of the two?

The G8 looks like it could be a fun car plus it's a 4 door for the kids.

Old 03-01-2012, 06:22 PM

556 posts, read 1,228,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Which would you say is the better of the two?

The G8 looks like it could be a fun car plus it's a 4 door for the kids.
My GTO was modded... Heads/cam/intake/built automatic and torque converter, dynod at 450rwhp/419rwtq... Bit of a drop to go to a stock G8 that might put down 330rwhp. The G8 handles better stock then my GTO did with a lot of after market suspension, IMO. The 6 speed shiftable auto is a lot more fun to drive then the non shiftable 4 speed in the GTO.

The interior of the G8 is on par with the GTO... The GTO had better seats but the butt warmers in the G8 are nice to have in the winter.

Overall I am enjoying the hell out of driving a quiet stock driving car after what I turned the GTO into.

I'd have to say I am digging the G8 more. It is bigger, 6 inches or so longer but you gain a useable trunk unlike the GTO.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:17 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,828,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veyron View Post
I was thinking about getting an 06 Pontiac gto 6.0.

I'm looking for 600 hp from the car.

Can anyone enlighten me on the car.
I have had a 2005 GTO since new. It is a great car. 400HP stock. Turned 100,000 miles a couple of days ago.

Last edited by ruski; 09-18-2012 at 08:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands