U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
2,099 posts, read 3,315,518 times
Reputation: 992

Advertisements

I just got a 2003 9-3 arc with 93K for $6,300 at a dealership. This car is great! It's awesome in the snow, gets great gas MPG at high speeds and the turbo rocks. Anybody else miss these fine machines?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
4,472 posts, read 16,827,574 times
Reputation: 4086
I've always wondered who the Hell bought these cars in the first place. I mean honestly...who thinks to themselves "Boy, I've always wanted to own one of those Saab's!" ?

I've always found them ugly, boring, and overpriced. For the money, there were so many better alternatives on the market and the dealership network for Saab wasn't ever very extensive. I can honestly say I've never known a single person who has EVER owned a Saab automobile and I have friends that drive everything from Toyota's to Ferrari's.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:29 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,311 posts, read 12,680,421 times
Reputation: 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshflakes757 View Post
I just got a 2003 9-3 arc with 93K for $6,300 at a dealership. This car is great! It's awesome in the snow, gets great gas MPG at high speeds and the turbo rocks. Anybody else miss these fine machines?
Just wait for a few months and many $$$ to pass.

I never had a more comfortable and fun car, but all of mine were so confoundingly problematic. I swore them off years ago.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,311 posts, read 12,680,421 times
Reputation: 3714
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've always wondered who the Hell bought these cars in the first place. I mean honestly...who thinks to themselves "Boy, I've always wanted to own one of those Saab's!" ?

I've always found them ugly, boring, and overpriced. For the money, there were so many better alternatives on the market and the dealership network for Saab wasn't ever very extensive. I can honestly say I've never known a single person who has EVER owned a Saab automobile and I have friends that drive everything from Toyota's to Ferrari's.
Not surprisingly Speedy we disagree on taste.

Saabs were nice-driving unique vehicles for those who wanted something that drove and handled very well but didn't want a snob-mobile or a fire-breathing American boat. It was a niche market from the start, and not for everyone.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:35 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
5,250 posts, read 12,514,676 times
Reputation: 8199





yes


The only issue you are going to have is with parts. I work for an insurance company, and we just totaled a 'brand new' 9-3 for a windshield, no one makes them. Could not find one any where, not new, not use'd. The parts just arnt there
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:36 PM
 
Location: NYC
7,311 posts, read 12,680,421 times
Reputation: 3714
In the early 90s, besides the Saab 900, there weren't a lot of cars that could more comfortably and nimbly get 30 MPGs while hauling an entire apartment's worth of stuff. The driving position was superb and great for late-night driving (the button that dropped and dimmed all guages other than the speedometer was a nifty if not entirely vital Saab feature).

Additonally the rear seat folded completely flat with just over 6' of legroom. Plenty of room for two back there ;-D
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:52 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 82,451,401 times
Reputation: 36490
I really miss the Saab 95, front-wheel drive with the 2-stroke engine, in the early 1960s. They were extremely popular in Maine, where for several years they outsold Volkswagens. (Similar to and contemporaneous with the DKW, the predecessor of Audi.) I never had one of those Saabs, but people loved them and I always wanted one.

http://img.favcars.com/saab/95/saab_...photos_1_b.jpg
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:05 PM
 
11,516 posts, read 50,206,079 times
Reputation: 16088
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post

The only issue you are going to have is with parts. I work for an insurance company, and we just totaled a 'brand new' 9-3 for a windshield, no one makes them. Could not find one any where, not new, not use'd. The parts just arnt there
BS.

Parts are still readily available in the secondary market for these cars. I call on a couple of shops that specialize in this marque and they have a steady clientele of cars they're keeping on the road with OE parts from a couple of major national import car parts distributors that have warehouses throughout the USA.

As well, just for grins ... I called my local Safelite shop. They have a new front windshield, OE spec, on the shelf at $254, installed internet price, including the new reveal trim molding that is replaced along with the glass. I could have had it installed yet this afternoon if I'd have taken the car into their shop.

There are other reasons to not want to drive a Saab ... and a number of niggling failure areas that I don't think had them very competitive with their marketplace in the last few years they were built. In the 1980's, they were probably a bit more uniquely competitive at their price point, but the later years were a tough sell against the marketplace.

Just noticed jturr88 above ... the 2-stroke engine was a piece of work compared to 4-stroke engines; ie, they were inherently lower fuel economy than their competition. That's why Saab had their free-wheeling feature on the transmission, which I found not very nice to drive due to the lack of engine braking, especially in traffic. The popularity I saw with this series, which was only available for a little more than a year in the USA was with the tuners for ice racing and rallying ... you could put exhaust extractor systems on these and cut out the ports a bit to make them deliver some incredible power, like the peaky power you'd get out of the 2-stroke motorcycles of the era. We took that to a point of building up a johnson V-4 outboard motor for 1/4 midget racing and it would blow the doors off of offy engines ...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:12 PM
 
2,094 posts, read 3,453,956 times
Reputation: 2285
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
I've always wondered who the Hell bought these cars in the first place. I mean honestly...who thinks to themselves "Boy, I've always wanted to own one of those Saab's!" ?

I've always found them ugly, boring, and overpriced. For the money, there were so many better alternatives on the market and the dealership network for Saab wasn't ever very extensive. I can honestly say I've never known a single person who has EVER owned a Saab automobile and I have friends that drive everything from Toyota's to Ferrari's.

Isn't that funny? Probably 10 of my friends have had Saabs in the past.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 02:15 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, TX USA
5,250 posts, read 12,514,676 times
Reputation: 8199
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
BS.

Parts are still readily available in the secondary market for these cars. I call on a couple of shops that specialize in this marque and they have a steady clientele of cars they're keeping on the road with OE parts from a couple of major national import car parts distributors that have warehouses throughout the USA.

As well, just for grins ... I called my local Safelite shop. They have a new front windshield, OE spec, on the shelf at $254, installed internet price, including the new reveal trim molding that is replaced along with the glass. I could have had it installed yet this afternoon if I'd have taken the car into their shop.
Maybe it was the 9-5 then. I don't handle total losses, all I do it take reports and handle single vehicle non inj claims. A quick google search brought up this

9-5 Windshield Availability and Heads-Up Display Question - SaabCentral Forums

" The HUD windshield has a square section of glass that looks as if it tinted or something in order to project the HUD image.

All NG 9-5 windshields are very scarce. I recommend you join the International NG 9-5 group on Facebook. There's a long discussion about windshields, or lack there of."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top