Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 10:43 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Wow, looks even better than it did in the eBay photos, congrats on the sweet new ride!!!
Thanks, sean. I think I made the right decision bidding on this car. It seems to be well-kept and garage-kept.

On the subject of garages, my '69 Fleetwood is parked in there now. I am making room to fit one more car in there (it is a 2-car garage). I was planning on parking my '76 Cadillac limo in there, but the interior on this '66 Plymouth is just in too good of condition to park it outside. Also, the Plymouth, at 209.8"/17.4 feet), will fit in the garage much easier than the limo) 252.2"/21 feet).

So, the limo will continue to be parked on the side of the driveway and the '69 Fleetwood and '66 Plymouth VIP will be in the garage. A car cover will help preserve the limo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 06:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Yeah, that wire could be something simple. I know that sometime in the past, someone had put aftermarket fog lights on my '73 Pontiac and added a switch inside, but it was later removed.

Your carpet does look nice in there... it dont look torn up. I wonder if you could just had it re-colored instead? My dad had a car with fading black carpeting and he had re-blackened with some dye.

Those a-pillars look very nice. Yeah, my '69 Caprice (your '69 Fleetwoods little brother) also dont have chrome a-pillars, but it did have a thickly padded color-keyed a-pillar pad. Perhaps it was an additional safety feature that GM wanted to add.... but by '71, they were metal again- at least on the GM cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Thanks, Tennesseestorm. Glad you like it. I did see the red wire but haven't traced it yet. Yes, it does have (working) power windows. Glad it has that; comes in handy especially in such a wide car- don't have to lean over to open the passenger side window.

The carpeting is in better shape than I expected. I still intend to replace it. It is very thick.
The catalog and magazine articles referred to the carpeting as "deep pile" and "high pile."

I noticed that there is a generous amount of chrome trim on the inside "A" pillar, the pillar between the windshield and front door windows. Check it out in the two photos below. My '69 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham does not have chrome trim in that area. This just shows that they further back you go into '60s cars, the more chrome trim, even in the "low-priced" cars.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Yeah, that wire could be something simple. I know that sometime in the past, someone had put aftermarket fog lights on my '73 Pontiac and added a switch inside, but it was later removed.

Your carpet does look nice in there... it dont look torn up. I wonder if you could just had it re-colored instead? My dad had a car with fading black carpeting and he had re-blackened with some dye.

Those a-pillars look very nice. Yeah, my '69 Caprice (your '69 Fleetwoods little brother) also dont have chrome a-pillars, but it did have a thickly padded color-keyed a-pillar pad. Perhaps it was an additional safety feature that GM wanted to add.... but by '71, they were metal again- at least on the GM cars.
Yeah, I'll find out where that wire goes!

Right, the carpet is not torn; I thought it would have been going by the owner's description.

Odd how car companies did some things... adding something like chrome A-pillars, dropping it, then adding it again! I, of course, prefer the chrome!

Old 07-03-2009, 01:05 AM

I made a short youtube video of the '66 Plymouth.

Starting the engine, idling and a few revs. Sounds good to me and a little more "muscular" than I thought since it is a stock, unmodified engine.

YouTube - 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP

Old 07-07-2009, 09:44 PM

Another youtube video added today.

This one shows the exterior and interior in detail. The engine is also seen near the end.

Anyone who wants to get a good close-up view of a '66 Plymouth Fury VIP, this vid should help!

YouTube - 1966 Plymouth Fury VIP

Old 07-08-2009, 12:08 AM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
A beauty of a car! Thanks for sharing the pics. Unfortunatly, my computer will not do any youtubes for some reason. Some sort of setting. Have you had the car on the road yet?

I bet it rides good.

Old 03-09-2010, 01:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,250 times
I have a 66 plymouth sport fury and want to throw a posi rear in it.
anyone know a direct fit I can pull from a yard?

Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM

2 posts, read 3,250 times
heres my ride

<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPBimyCD4Ac&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&co lor2=0xcd311b&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PPBimyCD4Ac&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&co lor2=0xcd311b&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>

Old 03-09-2010, 10:12 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannyzion View Post
heres my ride
Here's a link to the YouTube video that Dannyzion posted. Until a few posts are made by a new member, there's a restriction with URLs appearing as embedded objects.

http://www.youtube.com/v/PPBimyCD4Ac...ight=%22364%22

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands