Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2010, 11:48 AM

176 posts, read 522,591 times

Advertisements

Anyone doing this?

I'm not very entrepreneurial but I think I might have to be to survive

I'd like to know what kind of business you started, are you happy doing it?

and, are you able to make a good income?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2010, 12:24 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,237,132 times
Smile Being self employed

My husband is a CPA and self employed. The last 2 years have been tough but we're hanging in. These banks sure don't help the situation.

I am also self employed as a mortgage broker. I also do mortgage processing for others when things are slow and also help my husband.

Sometimes, I think of the corporate life, just having a lot of co-workers and I miss the comradery, then I think of the freedom I would give up. We work a lot of hours but we make our own life in a sense.

I even went back to college to work toward my "enrolled agent" certification by taking more classes on the accounting end and I loved it.

There are drawbacks, sure but in the future, have computer, will travel (maybe).

We visisted a 55 plus community which has a few town squares with stores and several residents had opened stores after being in a different field and seemed to love it.

When my husband gets down, I always tell him "you're investing in your 401K b/c that's what the business is"

Old 06-18-2010, 04:58 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
I'm trying to sell my business so I CAN retire!!! There's always two sides....

Old 06-19-2010, 06:42 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Sadly, I knew a few peple who used their retirement savings to buy a business after retiring.

Bad decision !

Most of their retirement savings is gone when the business failed.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 AM

955 posts, read 4,087,917 times
I've been fishing ever since I was a kid over 50 years ago, I'm pretty good at it now. I've been thinking about doing some guiding when we retire in a couple years.

Old 06-21-2010, 06:42 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
There is nothing you'll be a slave to quite like your own small business. There will be headaches galore. You may lose your shirt. Unless you really know the particular business you want to engage in, know the economics of it, the technical problems, etc., I would say work a year or two extra to save up a little more money, then have a real retirement, without the business.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:12 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,257,254 times
Running a business is NOT retiring. It is just changing careers.

What they warned us about starting a business is that the risk of failure is very high & probably even higher during this great recession. One shud only proceed if it is truly a lifelong dream & after much research. It is a very risky endeavor late in life. And will require tons of time & work.

It is not a retirement plan.

Last edited by Tesaje; 06-22-2010 at 08:31 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM

183 posts, read 351,998 times
Depends on what you consider starting a business. If you mean making and selling quilts at flea markets or doing a little handyman work, probably not a big deal. If you mean opening a retail store, a consulting business or restaurant, for instance, that's another deal.

We have friends opening a small coffee shop/deli. They have been working at it for 6 months, remodeling the building, buying equipment, getting permits and licenses and have spent thousands (tens of thousands?) of dollars. They should be open in a couple of weeks...if the inspectgor buys off on the permit to install a restroom. I have talked with others and they all say the same thing. This isn't the 1800's. You don't go out and open a shop and start selling stuff. You need approvals from the state, the county, the city. You needs licenses, inspections, permits and pay fees. You need to set up accounts with the city, state and federal tax authorities. Blah, blah, blah!

I have always wanted to be my own boss, but I really have no desire to wade through red tape for the next 6 months just to get permission to do business. On the other hand, a hobby business might be the ticket. Do something you love, sell to friends, relatives, neighbors, etc. Make a few bucks for travel or other projects all while funding your hobby. If you keep it all cash and low key, you might even be able to get away without a business license or paying taxes (not recommended!). If you would be doing it anyway becuase you enjoy it, why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
I've been fishing ever since I was a kid over 50 years ago, I'm pretty good at it now. I've been thinking about doing some guiding when we retire in a couple years.
I don't know where you live, but here in Nevada you can't be a guide without being a sub guide (work for a real guide) for 4 years. In California (I live 15 minutes from the border), you can be a guide if you have $400 and are breathing. However, to guide on public lands (BLM, Forest Service, etc.) you need to obtain a special use permit. Here there is a patch work of state and federal lands administered by maybe 8 or 10 different agencies. You would need a special use permit for each and they are policing this much more and they need to be renewed every year and require a fee. If you guide on private land, you need permission and maybe a contract for each owner. Plus the liability insurance and bond the states require, guiding school, etc. Not trying to talk you out of it, but I wanted to do the same and when I found out about all the red tape and fees, I gave up on it.

If you can find a guide that wants a part time sub guide to fill in when he's busy or in the busy season, maybe that would be an option.

Last edited by flyfishnevada; 06-22-2010 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-22-2010, 07:03 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Starting your own business is a career change~ and you had better have enough money to pay for your living plus whatever you have to sink into your business to get it going!

Started my business years ago and am willing to sell it to you~ requires a lot of cash and probably 60 - 70 hours of hard physical labor plus an extra 20 hours or so of further paperwork.

not exactly what I'd plan for retirement!

Old 06-23-2010, 08:57 PM

361 posts, read 737,111 times
I am wanting to do some writing.
Not exactly a business, but I have this fantasy that I can write.
Would also consider some "consulting" in my current field -- if and when I can make myself retire.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement