Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
No schedules here ... nothing planned in our lives until after 12 noon ... all my working years a jangling alarm clock woke me up <rinnngggggg....rinnnnnggggggg> or my clock radio blasting music or doom and destruction news ... I have learned my body was not made to be jerked away every single day, five days a week ... so when I wake up ... 9, 9:30, 10 and hubby wakes up ... we get up and leisurely enjoy our coffee and newspaper and by noon we are ready to face the day.

Life is good!
I wish I could learn to sleep in sometimes. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed I will sleep exactly 7 hours. Except last night! I didn't get to sleep till nearly 2 AM last night because it was so hot in here and my cooler wasn't working. Then I woke up at 7:00 so only five hours. I'll be ready for bed early tonight. I got a new cooler installed today so sleeping will be NICE tonight! I'll be starting back to work pretty quick...hopefully...and I think I'll likely have varied hours, which I'm not crazy about, but don't think I'll ever have to be there before 8 AM. I had to be up by 4:30 for so many years that sleeping till 5:30 is "sleeping in" for me anymore. If I ever slept in till 9:00, or later, I'd feel like I 'wasted' half a day!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2010, 06:52 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I enjoy getting up fairly early in the morning to have a little time to myself...But this isn't always possible if I get to bed super-late the night before...Life is full of trade-offs.

Old 06-25-2010, 09:39 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I enjoy getting up fairly early in the morning to have a little time to myself...But this isn't always possible if I get to bed super-late the night before...Life is full of trade-offs.
Thankfully, I usually have anywhere from an hour to an hour and a half before my wife wake up. She's decidedly not a morning person so I get my "quiet" time to read, have coffee, etc. I love it!

Old 06-26-2010, 03:51 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,720 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I do 'early mornings' and 'late nights'. I'm not worth a darn during banking hrs (10am - 3pm).

Maybe stems from growing up on a dairy farm, and then at age 18 getting a night shift job for ~ 30 yrs to 'support my many habits' (including farming ). I found that most jobs can be done in your sleep anyway (I never was a brain surgeon or fighter pilot).

My schedule is Big breakfast before dawn, light lunch at 11am and 3pm, Supper sometime after dark (~10 - 11pm in summer). I am not keen on 'burning daylight' so try not to do these activities during daylight; working /eating / cleaning house / going to meetings / library / events / sitting at stoplights / stuck in traffic... I can do that stuff in the dark, as most places have electricity. When traveling I drive / fly the boring stuff at night, and take a nap under a shade tree if I need a rest during the day. Eur-rail works nice as you can take a long leg overnight (after 10 pm), then back-track during the day the sights you missed while sleeping, then take another long leg the next night (before 10pm) (all only using a one day pass).

Schedule... I guess I'm 'time constrained' but not 'regular' (no set schedule, except... Don't burn daylight!... (An Alaska summer might be tough on me)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-26-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 06-26-2010, 05:32 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default No set schedule for me

Quote:
Do you like to eat meals at the same time each day? How about bedtime? Do you usually going to bed around the same time each night?.... Some people enjoy following a "set schedule" and others don't...What seems to work best for you?
After following a strict schedule all my working years, now I am relieved to do whatever I want to do, eat whatever I want to eat, whenever I want to do it, or not do it No schedules for me

Old 06-27-2010, 07:33 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
If I ever slept in till 9:00, or later, I'd feel like I 'wasted' half a day!
Ah, but when you're fully retired, your day consists of a full 24 hours to do with what you wish, or not!

Old 06-27-2010, 12:54 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,907,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Ah, but when you're fully retired, your day consists of a full 24 hours to do with what you wish, or not!
Yes, I know, and I only WISH I could ever "fully" retire. Unfortunately that's never going to be possible, unless I win the lottery. And since I can't 'waste money' on tickets that's not gonna happen either. I've been unemployed for the past nine months and, except for finances, it's been wonderful! I dearly love doing things when I want to and not because I HAVE to. That's all about to end though, darn it. Fortunately I'll only be working part time which means I'll still have plenty of 'me time'. So I think I'll survive.

Old 06-28-2010, 05:29 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,925 times
I'm undisciplined so I try to set a schedule for myself (for things I want to accomplish - times to meditate, work on learning French, etc etc). But as retirees no 2 days are the same so my schedules all fly out the window. I must do my workout in the mornings though as I'm too lazy in the afternoons to do it.

We get up anywhere between 7-8. Lunch is when we are hungry. Dinner is anywhere between 5.30 - 7. Bedtime varies.

Old 06-30-2010, 01:45 PM

4,164 posts, read 6,316,466 times
I'm going way off schedule this weekend...It's the 4th of July. Time to declare my independence even more...How can I "break free?" Turn in my AARP membership? Go out and buy a pink wig? Call up friends and stage a "don't call me a senior anymore" party?....Time to "get off track" and "kick up my heels" and let the world know that this "old grey mare" still has some "spirit" left inside of her....Have to stop now....It's time to take a nap. Just teasing....

Old 06-30-2010, 03:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
I'm going way off schedule this weekend...It's the 4th of July. Time to declare my independence even more...How can I "break free?" Turn in my AARP membership? Go out and buy a pink wig? Call up friends and stage a "don't call me a senior anymore" party?....Time to "get off track" and "kick up my heels" and let the world know that this "old grey mare" still has some "spirit" left inside of her....Have to stop now....It's time to take a nap. Just teasing....
So funny, CArizona!!!!!
Without my Daily Planner, I couldn't operate at all! Every day, and every night are different. I pencil in my business appointments, and put the grandchildren's and children's events and activities in INK. Sometimes we're in bed at 9 p.m. and sometimes it's 1-2 a.m. Just depends on the day's chain of events!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement