Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 07:44 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,376,331 times

Advertisements

Retirement is very good. I use to run around during my first 3 years of retirement now I love to just sit, drink Green Tea and contemplate.

careful where you contemplate ........I almost got arrested for contemplating in public
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 11:28 AM

1,534 posts, read 4,261,303 times
I spent my working years doing the usual things; taking care of the family, job and whatnot. I never had the resources for much leisure travel or personal interests (saving for college expenses was a major priority). I went through a divorce, kept the kids, got them educated and successfully launched and then retired.

Retirement is MY time. International travel several times a year, snow-birding in Costa Rica, exploring the US/Canada RVing or just puttering around, a few classes here and there, lots of library trips --- whatever interests me at the moment is what I do.

I haven't watched television for years and disregard most news programs on the web and only pay attention to political affairs for the humor of it. Carpe diem!

Old 07-04-2010, 11:40 AM

8,954 posts, read 20,681,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Throughout my career, I always kept about 5-projects going at once -- and was always on the lookout for new things to do. Since retirement, I still always have about 5-things going and am looking for new things to do.

I've observed, however, that retirees who were almost singularly focused on work during their careers ... often find themselves somewhat limited in terms of finding things to do in retirement.

I'm one of those people who is so busy in retirement, that I don't know when I had time to work. Others sit around in their pajamas and watch soap operas on TV (because they don't have anything else to do).

In Short, Retirement changes what one does, but not how they do it.

What type of retiree are you?
This post makes a critical error in the assumption that some retirees don't have anything to do so they sit and do nothing.

I ask what's wrong with doing nothing but just being calm and peaceful whenever you want to be?

The American lifestyle has turned out millions of driven people who will never know what it's like to sit and just be to watch a cat sleeping or a child playing or a lake at dusk. There is nothing in nature that demands you do anything except feed, house, and cloth yourself just a the Bible tells us. Once you do that (via retirement funds) then the rest of your time is yours to do with as you please. For some endless busy projects, for others just relaxing because they have given themselves.......permission to do nothing.

Old 07-05-2010, 12:00 AM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
I one of the busy ones. And I'm still trying to find a way to sit in my jammies and watch tv all day. At least once in a while!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement