U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2010, 07:04 AM

6,235 posts, read 4,721,373 times

Advertisements

The ongoing thread on downsizing is getting out of hand. I thought it might be best to start a new thread with my specific concern.

It seems that our household recording keeping has gotten very excessive. At one time I had some recommendations from a workshop, but as we move into the electronic era even that list seems out of date. So how long should we keep our records?

Medical: explanations of benefit
Medical: lab and doctors reports
Tax forms and records
Cancelled checks - now electronic or scans on monthly statements
Savings and investment statements and transaction records
Receipts for major purchases
Paystubs
Etc, etc

Thanks, Jim
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2010, 07:37 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times
Quote:
Medical: explanations of benefit
I just keep the most recent.
Quote:
Medical: lab and doctors reports
Sadly, I keep everything.
Quote:
Tax forms and records
Taxes I keep forever. Supporting docs I keep for 6 years.
Quote:
Cancelled checks - now electronic or scans on monthly statements
At the end of the year, I shred everything except the year-end statement.
Quote:
Savings and investment statements and transaction records
Same as above - it's so easy to get copies, I let them keep the records
Quote:
Receipts for major purchases
Appliances, cars, etc., - until sold. Except for mortgages/deeds, those I keep for 6 years after sale
Quote:
Paystubs
Keep pay stubs until you get your W-2 at the end of the year.

I love my shredder

Old 07-09-2010, 08:55 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Gandalara, I really admire and envy your approach.

Now that I am in my seventies I have finally begun to fling out what seem like virtual bales of old records in the belief that I cannot possibly outlive the likelihood of retribution.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:55 AM

1,295 posts, read 1,997,419 times
I have a all-in-one printer. I use it to scan document and save to my external hard disk. The hard drive can hold hundreds of Gbyte. So I keep electronic images of all documents forever. :=)

Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
I regularly get rid of anyhting that has been teminated. I do keep receipts for big items witht eh manuals or toher information. When they go so does the info. We have the majoe papers like insurnce polcies .birth certificates etc in a fire safe alone. Others we put in filing cabinet. Thyen we have all banking records on computer but most is avilable on lie at bank like check copies. Taxes;three years.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:38 AM

5,393 posts, read 21,388,001 times
I found a shred program and got rid of everything over ten years old and most things over three.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:42 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
Showing my age- I thought the OP meant vinyl LPs!

Old 07-14-2010, 04:17 AM

6,235 posts, read 4,721,373 times
No. All of the vinyl Lps went in the trash. Same with all of the cassette tapes. I am seriously considering the same fate for the Cds. We have 100s of them and they really seem like a bulky, obsolete technology. If I keep them, it will take at least 2 bankers boxes for storage. I already got rid of the ones that were used for storing jpegs. All my pictures are on 2 or 3 separate hard drives.

Old 07-14-2010, 08:48 AM

28,237 posts, read 39,879,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
No. All of the vinyl Lps went in the trash. Same with all of the cassette tapes. I am seriously considering the same fate for the Cds. We have 100s of them and they really seem like a bulky, obsolete technology. If I keep them, it will take at least 2 bankers boxes for storage. I already got rid of the ones that were used for storing jpegs. All my pictures are on 2 or 3 separate hard drives.
You missed a money making opportunity.

Old 07-14-2010, 09:13 AM

7,289 posts, read 15,342,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
For the CDs, I bought the equivalent of photo albums - the CD goes in one slot and the case insert (or file list) in the other and then the jewel box goes in the recycling bin. One 4" binder holds about 100 CDs and I have maybe 5 binders.

For music, I learned my lessons from the switch from vinyl to CD - a lot of stuff never got remastered to CDs, just as I note a lot of my older CDs never show up on iTunes or other digital forms. I only keep the CDs that I think will be hard to replace.

And some day in the not-so-far-future, no device will read CDs and then I'll just pitch the lot.

Old photos, photos for insurance purposes are backup up on an external drive - I think the last one I bought was 1 terabyte.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or