U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2007, 09:30 AM

284 posts, read 1,565,440 times

Advertisements

For anyone who has experience with this subject (as a retiree or as the child of a retiree): How can we make adjustment to retirement as smooth as possible for my parents?

A little background info: My family and I will have to transfer in the next couple of years. My parents are going to follow us wherever we move. My parents are probably going to build on our land (unless we can find a house with a small house in the back yard), but they will be on a fixed income. We are very close and already have great rules regarding privacy, respecting each other's space, etc. as we have lived next door to them before.

So, now I am looking for tips about what you think we can do, what we should avoid doing, etc. to make this a successful situation. I am interested in suggestions & ideas to help with adjusting to leaving friends behind and making new ones, housing issues, things to check on when moving to a new state (like taxes for retirees), really anything that you wish someone had told you or anything that you have learned! Thank you for your words of wisdom!

Last edited by Scholar; 06-21-2007 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2007, 09:53 PM

30,328 posts, read 27,788,363 times
Off the top of my head Iíd say that when you move with retirement seniors a couple of the things you might want to keep in mind are. First you and your parents must be close enough that there arenít any problems living too close by each other, and thatís good. However do the seniors require much medical care? Hospitals and doctors will be an important consideration to where you move Ė if they donít need it now, they will soon.

Second, a place where other seniors are available for companionship for the parents is also important. They will need to establish their own personal circle of friends outside of yours.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:16 AM

Thank you AksarbeN! Your advice is excellent! I've heard that relocating is both harder and easier than one can ever imagine, and I'm finding out that the planning is that way, too. It is so exciting and fun because my parents are going with us, but it is more scary because when we all move, we want them to feel like they are at home instead of feeling uprooted. Advice like you have given will hopefully help us minimize the list of hard things to deal with before, during and after the move! Thank you again!

Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM

30,328 posts, read 27,788,363 times
There are many new areas in most states that offer good benefits to senior residents. Things like social events, medical care, and more are important when relocating. If they have grandkids that will be left behind itís important that arrangements be made to always be able to have them visit one way or the other. And telephone calls back to other family members and friends should always be encouraged to help keep contacts alive and enjoyable.

Iím retired now and I would hate to move again. The last move took about 2 years before we felt comfortable with our new area. Finding doctors, dentists, and other professionals was important ~ some of our new friends had recommended several and things went very well after that.

Old 06-22-2007, 04:51 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,313,859 times
Default Retirement Financial

You might look into RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data (taxes by state). Some states will tax pensions, social security, military retiree pay.

Old 06-23-2007, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
You might look into RETIREMENT LIVING INFORMATION CENTER - Retirement Communities and senior lifestyle data (taxes by state). Some states will tax pensions, social security, military retiree pay.

Thank you so much for the great link! I am going to forward it on to my parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or