Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 11:55 AM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What do you like to do? Move to a place where you can do it a lot and that offers what you like to do in the variety, numbers and quality you are used to. You won't notice the other stuff unless it impacts what you like to do.
I agree with you LAURA C. Although there are many considerations when trying to find a place to settle, one important issue is, "what do you like to do?" Many times this is overlooked because we are so focused on financial, climate, shopping, etc. Keeping busy and active and doing things that interest you are important to maintaining a good outlook.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 04:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
hi Laura and others ;
Please allow me to apologize for moving your posts . I had moved the post from the new person looking for info about California TO California, but somehow a few others went with it. I am not sure what happened. I'm sorry; I certainly did not mean to hijack your posts .

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 PM

6,883 posts, read 11,236,142 times
Smile What we like to do...

I remember reading Laura C's posts and they were very informative. My husband and I will be working for a while but I would love to find a place where I could have fun! Because of working so much, I missed out on the social part of life.

I love games and just being around people. I don't think I am a small town person but you never know. I love up to date things and good food. I love to swim and need to exercise.

I miss the kind of community where you just stop by and visit people.

Once we get through the next couple of years, I just want to have more fun - we still have to work but I want to do that more remotely and envision a more paperless office but still productive because we have staff.

Old 11-03-2008, 06:08 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,695 times
I think what you like to do does need to be at the top of the list with the other things you're looking for in a new place to live. I think we had this too far down on our list. We live in a very nice area but a lot of the thing we like to do are far away. Since we have many pets, we can't go away overnight or too far.

We have both said that it's nice living here but we probably won't stay here forever. The next move will probably be in the same state but closer to the activities we enjoy.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:41 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,179 posts, read 7,016,267 times
Seems to me that retirement should be about enjoyment...enjoying the last part of one's life. For me, a huge part of that enjoyment will be in living where I want to live....my choice is going to (hopefully) be northern Idaho because I love the woods, the water, the seasons and even the snow. Right now I am in Arizona and I am very, very burned out (no pun intended) on the climate, the dust, the monocolor scenery. I could find cheaper and "easier" places to retire to than Idaho but I want my retirement to be about what I enjoy doing...so my choice will be based on that. I feel blessed that I will be able to retire to where I want to be.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
I think what you like to do does need to be at the top of the list with the other things you're looking for in a new place to live. I think we had this too far down on our list. We live in a very nice area but a lot of the thing we like to do are far away. Since we have many pets, we can't go away overnight or too far.

We have both said that it's nice living here but we probably won't stay here forever. The next move will probably be in the same state but closer to the activities we enjoy.
We decided to move north instead of south and landed in the adirondack area of NY. Upstate NY is absolutely beautiful and we have found it easy to make friends and there are many things to do. We have a dog, but there are pet-sitters around that will either come to your house or sit in their house when we are gone. We don't get the lake effect snow but if we get tired of the cold we will head south for a month.

Old 11-04-2008, 07:16 AM

1,364 posts, read 4,278,695 times
Ellwood, that sounds so nice. I'm from Long Island originally and used to travel to upstate NY. I can imagine how beautiful the Fall must be.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46Barb View Post
Ellwood, that sounds so nice. I'm from Long Island originally and used to travel to upstate NY. I can imagine how beautiful the Fall must be.
Barb, The fall foliage was absolutely gorgeous! It lasted well into mid October before it peaked this year.

Old 11-04-2008, 06:14 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,270,219 times
I just got back from upstate New York , the part that is right near Stratford, MA. In fact, we walked from our town to Massachusetts. It is beautiful with rolling hills , charming tiny towns and skies that are filled with stars.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement