Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 08:19 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasva69 View Post
I don't know for sure "how much is enough," but know I'm not there yet.
But I went ahead and retired anyway.

Congratulations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:28 AM

767 posts, read 2,290,601 times
The title of this thread sounds like a quote from our president

Old 08-02-2010, 04:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccarley View Post
The title of this thread sounds like a quote from our president
I had more than enough so I went out and bought a second home at the beach. Time to reload and contemplate more.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Some of these posts are just disgusting and revealing of why this country is effed up at the moment. I agree that money is essential to sustain us and provide us with our most basic needs. But how many times have you thrown money at non-essential material things, just to stress out about it later. OMG, is that a scratch on my new Beemer? Now I have to find time to take it to the shop. UGH, my foundation is sinking on my house at the beach, how much is that going to cost me...It goes on and on. You disgusting creatures who say otherwise are really missing out on true happiness. And no, it's not found in a relationship with Jesus.

You keep teaching your offspring that there's some sort of morality to this lifestyle, and then cry about it later after Bernie Madoff makes off with half of your retirement savings. Yeah, keep worshiping money and stressing over material wealth while the rest of us get what we need and sleep stress-free because we're not worrying about whether we should buy the latest iPhone.

Last edited by mcb1025; 08-02-2010 at 05:05 PM..

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

89 posts, read 132,537 times
You can't buy happiness with money, but you can buy some freedom. Then you can take that freedom and use it to make yourself miserable, or you can use it wisely. A person who is trapped by debt and working 16 hour days might not be very happy, because they have no choices. Another person retires and is suddenly miserable because they have nothing to do. A wise person makes the best of whatever degree of freedom they have at any moment.

I want to have more freedom than I have now, and that depends on having more money. I am not in love with money, but I do love having choices.

And you are wrong to despise material things. It's true that our culture has gone off the deep end with consumerism, but buying certain things can bring happiness into your life. Some people get great joy out of iPhones and fancy cars. I don't, but I get joy out of some things I need money to buy. My musical instruments and time to play them is what makes me happy. Without money I wouldn't have that.

If you exist on just the bare basics, you can be happy. You can pray and meditate and live on plain bread. I can understand someone being happy that way. But to each his own. It's only a problem when it goes too far, as when someone gets into debt from buying expensive gadgets. Or when someone looks down at everyone whose car cost less than $100k. That's annoying.

Old 08-02-2010, 05:25 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,311,408 times
Some of the happiest moments of my life:

*Chatting with a friend over a $2.00 cup of coffee.
*Having sex with my girlfriend. Cost: $0
*Taking walks with my girlfriend. Cost: $0
*Wrestling with my roommates dog. Cost: $0
*Hiking through the mountains. Cost: $0
*Biking through the mountains. Cost: aside from bike, $0

Some of the most unhappy moments of my life:

*Having to repair body damage on my brand new leased vehicle.
*Having to return a flat screen TV because the cable jack broke.
*Having the retail outlet tell me the warranty on my one week old TV is void because the damage was a defect in materials.
*Having to take my iPod in to get replaced because the screen blanked out.

See a pattern here?

Old 08-02-2010, 05:53 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb1025 View Post

*Driving through the mountains in a brand-new Maserati. Cost: aside from Maserati, $0

See a pattern here?

(Note to the satirically challenged: I have never owned nor driven a Maserati. I'm not even sure if I've spelled it correctly. )

Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM

89 posts, read 132,537 times
Oh mcb1025, come on. Would your girlfriend still love you if you were homeless and dirty? Would you have time to hike or bike if you had to work three full time jobs? They say time is money, but it's also true that money is time. Our complex society depends on money. You can go out in the woods and build a cabin and hunt deer. But then you have to learn how to make your clothes, and everything else. You can live with no money, but it would require time and effort.

As I said, money can't buy happiness but it can buy some degree of freedom. If you have enough money you can stop thinking about money! Wouldn't that be great?

Old 08-02-2010, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Some of these posts are just disgusting and revealing of why this country is effed up at the moment. I agree that money is essential to sustain us and provide us with our most basic needs. But how many times have you thrown money at non-essential material things, just to stress out about it later. OMG, is that a scratch on my new Beemer? Now I have to find time to take it to the shop. UGH, my foundation is sinking on my house at the beach, how much is that going to cost me...It goes on and on. You disgusting creatures who say otherwise are really missing out on true happiness. And no, it's not found in a relationship with Jesus.

You keep teaching your offspring that there's some sort of morality to this lifestyle, and then cry about it later after Bernie Madoff makes off with half of your retirement savings. Yeah, keep worshiping money and stressing over material wealth while the rest of us get what we need and sleep stress-free because we're not worrying about whether we should buy the latest iPhone.
You mean I was wrong to buy a home at the ocean for my wife and I to enjoy? For my sons to bring their families to knowing that eventually it will be theirs. To have enough money so I should not be a financial burden to them? To have been able to educate them so they are financially secure with a productive life and home ownership. To have helped them finance their weddings. To be able to give to charity and not to be receiving charity. Yes so selfish. Yes the Black on Black Genesis with the V8 and tech package is a bit showy but dang it I am proud of it and the position my spouse and I are in. Why shouldn't we be? Isn't that what goal setting and working towards one is about? Who said we are over stressing material wealth? That is the title of the thread and maybe some of us are able to stay on topic.

Old 08-02-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:

*Chatting with a friend over a $2.00 cup of coffee.
*Having sex with my girlfriend. Cost: $0
*Taking walks with my girlfriend. Cost: $0
*Wrestling with my roommates dog. Cost: $0
*Hiking through the mountains. Cost: $0

Some of the most unhappy moments of my life:

*Having to repair body damage on my brand new leased vehicle.
*Having to return a flat screen TV because the cable jack broke.
*Having the retail outlet tell me the warranty on my one week old TV is void because the damage was a defect in materials.
*Having to take my iPod in to get replaced because the screen blanked out.

See a pattern here?
Yeah you are pretty tough on things you buy. How many of us have that many problems in a decade? Do you have a cloud over your head that appears when you spend money? I can see why you don't like it. Money doesn't stop you from doing the things you enjoy that are low cost. Imagine having sex with your girlfriend in a
G 37 on a country road overlook at night after a day hiking. Video taping wrestling with your roommates dog and posting it on YouTube for others to watch on their IPod and experience the fun you had. Better yet video taping one of your favorite activities and watching it over again on your big screen TV. Especially if you had a high definition camera. Did you really mean to include wrestling with your roommates dog as a life highlight? I mean some would say you need some money to get some new experiences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement