Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 08:30 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
You people have strange ideas about disability. You believe you just file a claim and instantaneous get government disability. In some severe listed impairments, it is true. However for mental disability, with the exception of severe developmental disorders and retardation, it requires much more evidence of disability with historical longitudinal behavior in employment.

It is necessary to have worked on a job to see the behavior and, of course, you need the employment credits to qualify. You have to meet the statutory requirements that the disability will last more than one year or result in death. You would not be able to work to the substantial statutory level of employment and unable to work any job at that level that exist in the economy.

Just because one can laugh, dance or enjoy some aspects of life does not mean that they are not considered disabled. Those of you who work 40 or more hours a week know how difficult it is to work. Just because you see someone doing an activity for a few hours, does not mean that they can meet the longer, repetitive tasks of a job.

Livecontent
Thanks, well said.

I suggest that those who want to debate whether someone, in their opinion, should be officially disabled or not start their own thread, out of respect for the OP. Rants, uninformed comments, and informed comments about disabliity don't really belong here. Being on disability however can contribute to retirement struggles, so the disability comments should be limited to that.

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-29-2010 at 08:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 06:25 AM

25 posts, read 64,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You have to be fortunate AND responsible to have a comfortable retirement.

But there are millions who just refuse to make the sacrifices necessary to save. I have a friend who is a taxi driver and buys a $5 Starbucks every day. She is getting close to retirement age and I asked what her plans are. She has NO retirement savings.

So, $5 per day doesn't sound like much, but saving that every day really adds up. She also buys lots of other non essential stuff.

I call that irresponsible.
A lot of advertising all around us has mostly got one message. Give us your money please. If you do not realise this you will give away your cash to every seller with something you "need". And they are trained to convince you to belive that you need their product. So people struggle to save for retirement.

Old 08-31-2010, 09:39 AM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,423 times
Default Well Said ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
You have to be fortunate AND responsible to have a comfortable retirement.

But there are millions who just refuse to make the sacrifices necessary to save. I have a friend who is a taxi driver and buys a $5 Starbucks every day. She is getting close to retirement age and I asked what her plans are. She has NO retirement savings.

So, $5 per day doesn't sound like much, but saving that every day really adds up. She also buys lots of other non essential stuff.

I call that irresponsible.
This is a perfect example of what I mean when I say one has to take personal responsibility for one's actions and the result of those actions.

During my working years I realized that those daily take-out lunches I so enjoyed added up to at least $25 per week ~ $100 per month and all the other "frills" like that Starbucks coffee & sweet muffin. I stopped all that unnecessary spending and put the $$ into a savings account that paid .05% interest. YES I said five percent interest on passbook savings, and the year was about 1988. Impossible interest these days but the saving concept is the same

Old 08-31-2010, 12:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
When I was working, I did a little fun investment. I wrote down all the little savings that I made by cutting my own hair, making my own lunch, taking the bus instead of driving, carrying a thermos of hot coffee or tea. I then set up a one mutual fund for this sole investment. Every three months, I deposited the amount I saved. I added no other money and I withdrew nothing. At the end of 11 years, the fund had a balance of $43,000. Then, I got ill, about 16 yrs ago, and the market collapsed and the balance dropped to $34, 000. That is the way of the world but that was the money I withdrew and paid off my mortgage, when I learned that I was permanently disabled. It was not a pleasant experience but with no debt it made my situation much better. Today, I have little money and little income; live on Social Security Disability but I have no debt.

My health problems were not my fault. I was able to handle the situations, that was under my control, to help mitigate this bad fate; and consequently feel that my situation is not my fault. I did the best I could do and I do the best I can. I still save money because frugality and thrift is way of my life. When, I seek public assistance, which is little as I qualify for little because of my savings and no debt, then I am not ashamed; and I will not be shamed.

I do have much anger, and no sympathy, when I see these people whine and moan about losing their homes because many spend and spend and spend. It is being reported that the government programs to help these people by forgiving part of the loan, and reducing interest, does not work for many because it is their greedy lifestyle that has not changed.

Livecontent

Old 08-31-2010, 01:37 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
There has been no go0vernamnt progem that lowers their proncipal. There have been refis . If the principla is lowered it wil come from the lenders poackets purely.Many in fact are losig their homes form unemployemjnt. Tos ay that all thsoe middle class people were greedy isn't right . I alos thoiuhgt o other thre4dts you said you are on disabilty and SSI as your main income?IMO;your anger is misplaced as much of tht comes form thsoe you say are gredy.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:06 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,403,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
There has been no go0vernamnt progem that lowers their proncipal. There have been refis . If the principla is lowered it wil come from the lenders poackets purely.Many in fact are losig their homes form unemployemjnt. Tos ay that all thsoe middle class people were greedy isn't right . I alos thoiuhgt o other thre4dts you said you are on disabilty and SSI as your main income?IMO;your anger is misplaced as much of tht comes form thsoe you say are gredy.
Yes, the government program includes lowering the interest because the government is forcing the banks to do it. What is the argument--the point is the obligation is being lessened, by whatever means, and many people still cannot pay their mortgage. They are re-qualified and still will not change their spending habits.

Sure, there are some people who got into a very bad situation because of illness and unemployment and should be helped. However, there is a concept that you save for a raining day, which will always occur. There are many people who spend all their money on stupid stuff and entertainment; they want it all now. My illustration I did not do this. I saved and when I got ill, I was able to help myself, pay my mortgage and minimize societal assistance.

Do not give me that nonsense that all these are beyond fault. I see it, everyday in my low life neighborhood. The ones with all the toys and then they walk away from their mortgage. Like the neighborhood who complaints he has no money for car insurance and has three Big Dogs and bought all these illegal fireworks. They all have dogs, motorbikes, boats etc. Do not tell me the greed in this society? Some have legitimate claims, many do not.

I do not receive SSI ( Supplemental Security Income). I do not qualify because of one issue--I have too much savings. I would because of my low SSDI. Did you hear what I am saying?? Because I am frugal, I do not get the extra money. I have been advised to spend down my savings to qualify (by liberal government employees)---I refuse because it is not right. So, do not give me your social liberal ideas of BS.

So maybe I should buy new furniture--which I need. Go to movies, every week--I have not been to one in about 9 years. Maybe I should get cable TV, which I never had. Maybe I should waste my money on overpriced sports events and concerts, so I can droll and brag that I am a fan. I never rent stupid videos and buy idiotic computer games. I can use a few more toys. Perhaps paying for sex will be a good idea to buy down my savings--that is great way, spend it on stupid woman. I need another car--it is 16 years old. I have not been on a vacation in 12 years. My TV is 20 years old. I have no stereo. I have not had any alcohol for 10 years because of meds. I use no illegal drugs. I should have went out and spend my money on expensive food, instead of eating the pureed beans I had for lunch.

Do not tell me who is supporting me--you do not know. I am not unique or special; I just had good teachers. I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood with people who paid their mortgage first. That the way it was done; few toys; little entertainment. People saved and survived layoffs, furloughs and illnesses.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 08-31-2010 at 02:30 PM..

Old 08-31-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Yes, the government program includes lowering the interest because the government is forcing the banks to do it. What is the argument--the point is the obligation is being lessened, by whatever means, and many people still cannot pay their mortgage. They are re-qualified and still will not change their spending habits.

Sure, there are some people who got into a very bad situation because of illness and unemployment and should be helped. However, there is a concept that you save for a raining day, which will always occur. There are many people who spend all their money on stupid stuff and entertainment; they want it all now. My illustration I did not do this. I saved and when I got ill, I was able to help myself, pay my mortgage and minimize societal assistance.

Do not give me that nonsense that all these are beyond fault. I see it, everyday in my low life neighborhood. The ones with all the toys and then they walk away from their mortgage. Like the neighborhood who complaints he has no money for car insurance and has three Big Dogs and bought all these illegal fireworks. They all have dogs, motorbikes, boats etc. Do not tell me the greed in this society? Some have legitimate claims, many do not.

I do not receive SSI ( Supplemental Security Income). I do not qualify because of one issue--I have too much savings. I would because of my low SSDI. Did you hear what I am saying?? Because I am frugal, I do not get the extra money. I have been advised to spend down my savings to qualify (by liberal government employees)---I refuse because it is not right. So, do not give me your social liberal ideas of BS.

So maybe I should buy new furniture--which I need. Go to movies, every week--I have not been to one in about 9 years. Maybe I should get cable TV, which I never had. Maybe I should waste my money on overpriced sports events and concerts, so I can droll and brag that I am a fan. I never rent stupid videos and buy idiotic computer games. I can use a few more toys. Perhaps paying for sex will be a good idea to buy down my savings--that is great way, spend it on stupid woman. I need another car--it is 16 years old. I have not been on a vacation in 12 years. My TV is 20 years old. I have no stereo. I have not had any alcohol for 10 years because of meds. I use no illegal drugs. I should have went out and spend my money on expensive food, instead of eating the pureed beans I had for lunch.

Do not tell me who is supporting me--you do not know. I am not unique or special; I just had good teachers. I grew up in an ethnic neighborhood with people who paid their mortgage first. That the way it was done; few toys; little entertainment. People saved and survived layoffs, furloughs and illnesses.

Livecontent
This post certainly is thought provoking. There is so much here that is true (except I don't like the term "stupid women" but I might overlook that in favor of the value of the post).

I am astounded, when I go into a place like BJ's discount warehouse with a friend who drives me (it is her membership that allows me to buy my six-month supply of Tpaper, not mine) I see people coming out with enormous loads of crap stuffed into their shopping carts--all the very worst kinds of packaged and canned foods, mounds of other junk, etc. Now I DO NOT stereotype people but I can guess that many are probably not in what you would call "high" income category (maybe I"m wrong, it's just a wager). How can they afford all that stuff that will only make their family ill? And I see the other stuff they buy, electronics, etc. I am not making judgements other than the fact that those who are buying these things and can't make mortgage payments ought to do themselves a favor and stop buying, and start their own garden and shop for good quality food even if it means a lot, lot less. Once I had to go into Walmaart for a clothes drying rack and saw what people in line were buying, looked like credit cards (could've been debit, I admit) and I looked at all the Stuff all around the store and wanted to scream! And of course the families have tons of pressure from their peers for stuff, and the parents have to deliver.

Then on the other side there are the lifestylers who love their coffee (mea culpa) and bakery treats, their high priced supplements and WF foods. I am astounded at what they can (or maybe can't) afford. Pricey yoga retreats, etc. My mother used to laugh and say "get down on your hands and knees and stretch your body washing the floor, or hanging up the clothes!"

What we spend money on in our Western culture is interesting.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Texdav, I am not trying to criticize, but for all of us trying so hard to decipher your posts, can you read them over and check your spelling before pushing the button to post? Sometimes when I am too tired to think straight and spell correctly, I write out my post in a Word document, and then do a spell-check, and then copy and paste it into the thread I am responding to. I would not want people to have to struggle so hard to read my posts (they're sometimes tough to take even when spelled correctly! ).

I only say this because you deserve to have your posts read and many including myself often skip over them as they take too much effort to read.

Thanks,
NEG

Old 09-01-2010, 08:59 PM

89 posts, read 132,592 times
Quote:
My TV is 20 years old
Same here! These days you could easily spend $2,000 on a TV, and then 6 months later it's out of date and you have to buy another. TV is a great way to waste time, as well as money. How many Americans will look back on their life and most of their memories will be of watching other people live?

There is no law that says you must spend every cent you earn, and more, but most Americans seem to think there is. If we are reasonably careful and sensible about money, we end up bailing out everyone else.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
Same here! These days you could easily spend $2,000 on a TV, and then 6 months later it's out of date and you have to buy another. .
The only reason I got a (small) flat screen TV is that I couldn't lift/move the old one around, it weighed 4 tons. the new one I can lift easily.

I got a Sony, and expected the screen resolution and sound to be outstanding. Neither are anywhere near as good as my old klunker. Then, here we all had to go to some kind of high-definition service (?) and ever since that supposed miracle of technology I have not had a sharp picture at all.

I'm thinking of having my son go to the Salvation Army and buy back my beloved klunker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement