U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2007, 09:35 AM

104 posts, read 773,120 times

Advertisements

We too are trying to find that perfect place! I am from Louisiana (Shreveport) and most days I think that is where I want to go back too. Then sometimes I think Florida. We lived there for 2 years and really enjoyed it. There are so many things to do. But, the cost of housing, insurance and property tax scares us. We also think Texas because it is right next door to Louisiana. Lots to do there also. My husband is retiring from the military but still needs to work, so jobs have a big play in our plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2007, 09:48 AM

4,948 posts, read 16,517,317 times
I think your dream wish place just may be Chatanooga TN or Soddy Daisy TN

Old 07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

1,284 posts, read 4,080,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little_thirsty View Post
I just moved to Texas from Tennessee, but a GREAT retirement community (I am only about 25 years away from that LOL) is Cookeville or Crossville Tennessee. Both are popular spots with nearby lakes. Cookeville is an hour outside Nashville. Crossville is a little bit further down the road headed towards Knoxville (it has an unbelivably good Playhouse if you like plays). My in-laws live in Cookeville and are retiring there. My mom and dad retired to the beach in Alabama and have been hit hard with hurricanes. Ivan really got them. I know it is a constant stress, but for them it is worth it as they have always wanted to be on the beach. At any rate, you should look up both these places if Tennessee is a place you may think you would like. Great thing is you can get a lot of places from Nashville and Atlanta isn't to far away if you need a bigger airport. Best of luck to you and after all of the work you have done, I hope you find the perfect spot to ENJOY life.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on Cookeville and Crossville, Tennessee. My wife and I will be visiting there in one month and looking for retirement property. Why did you ever leave Tennessee?

Old 07-02-2007, 03:03 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
I left Florida in 05 and couldn't be happier since I moved to N. AL. Housing is so much cheaper and you can find a nice older brick home for less than 100K. Property taxes are nil and electricity is cheap due to TVA. Sales tax is a little higher than FL, but gas is cheaper. There is a state income tax but I can live with that. Small safe town with friendly people. Lake Guntersville is just 15 minutes away as is the Tenn. River.
No hurricanes but there are tornadoes occassionally. While winters are cold and summers temps are in the 90s but it is less humid so you don't feel like in FL. Spring and Fall are wonderful..
You can find the right place if you realize there are good and bad about everyplace.

Old 07-03-2007, 05:19 AM

124 posts, read 616,424 times
Putty, I'm sure you have read Wisteria's comments about Fort Collins....dry and cooler. It had been on our list of retirement places till Colorado got socked with so much snow this past winter and my husband absolutely refused to consider it. No problem for us since Reno is at the top of our list, but probably too high-desert for you. You might want to look at Fort Collins again if you haven't already.

Quote:
How come I can't decide? I have tried the pros and cons lists, this works until I see an area or read about an area somewhere and I am off with it again.......My mind, and brain are not shutting off. Will it shut off after I move? or what?
Well, we have been through what you are describing for 6 years also. And we have traveled to each place on our list and crossed most off because they don't offer an improvement over what we have here (great established dentist and doctors, great libraries, many airports, proximity to two major cities...Chicago and Milwaukee). But, because of the high humidity in the summer and sub-zero temps in the winter, we don't want to stay here. I used to say that the high taxes were killing us (and they are) but more localities we were once interested in have effected tax hikes that bring their tax burden closer to what we are paying here.

When we were out in Reno a few weeks ago (we have been there many times), we felt very comfortable....like we were home but with a better climate and friendlier people. And I guess that is really what we are looking for. We want the friendliness of Western New York, coupled with the familiarity of a place that we have lived in for nearly 20 years. Now, the biggest problem out there is finding a house that will please my husband. Because of model homes we have toured, he has his heart set on certain things he would like. I'm tired of taking care of a home, so I would be happy in a cottage. The kind of place he would like is a stretch for us in Reno (where prices for his heart's desire are still pretty darned high).

What I really want to do is have my husband retire but keep our house here for another year. Then, spend at least a month in Reno and our second choice place and see if we like one better than the other or if neither suits us. If we really love Reno after spending a whole month there, we can come home and put our house on the market and get a rental there while we look for a house. If we decide it's not for us, we still have our comfortable home and we can repeat our month-long stay with our second choice city.

I think the big problem for those of us who want to retire to a different spot but do not have family or friends in a desirable area to retire near, is what I call the "what now" factor. You pick your spot, you buy a home, unpack, and two weeks later you get up in the AM and say "what now?" If you can solve the "what now," I really believe you will find your place.

For example, when we considered Las Cruces, a charming little city that I really liked, I pictured that "what now" factor and I was lost. Weather aside, what would be better there than what I have here? My answer was "nothing." In fact, I was afraid I would feel stuck there. We met some very nice early retirees who had moved there the year previously, and we kept in touch with them for a couple of years. They enthusiastically encouraged us to join them there. Then, after a couple of years, they decided they were bored with the place and have moved on.

Now here is my mental vision of Reno....we wake up in the AM...."oooo, I feel like driving down to Tahoe today and going for a boat ride"....."hey, what do you say we go play a little early AM video-poker" (please, no lectures about the evils of gambling....we've been VP players for years and stay within a budget)....."let's go fishing at one of the great mountain lakes just over the border in CA"...."we've never seen Boise--let's drive there for a couple of days"...."let's sign up for a course at the university"...etc, etc.

What I'm saying is that you need to develop a vision of what it is that you see yourself doing in retirement and work that vision into a desirable spot. If you're an artist, maybe New Mexico will call to you. If you like outdoor winter sports, Colorado or Idaho might be what you're looking for. If eating is your biggest pleasure, consider Louisville KY--great food, wonderful people, affordable housing, but the weather isn't much better than what we have here. If you need to or want to work in retirement, be sure you choose a place where you will be employable.

Anyway, that is how we are approaching our retirement locale decision. Honestly, there are days I just want to stay here in our nice, safe neighborhood because I am so comfortable here and it is very stressful to move. Then I think about Reno and how much fun it will be to be within a few hours drive of so many places I've never visited and how planning trips to those places will keep us entertained for years. Not to mention a little video-poker playing whenever we feel like it. Now, if we can just find a house that will satisfy "the husband".....

Old 07-03-2007, 08:17 AM

3,098 posts, read 8,347,907 times
Quote:
I think the big problem for those of us who want to retire to a different spot but do not have family or friends in a desirable area to retire near, is what I call the "what now" factor. You pick your spot, you buy a home, unpack, and two weeks later you get up in the AM and say "what now?" If you can solve the "what now," I really believe you will find your place.
THAT spot would be the mtns of NC/TN cause I could walk out to the deck and JUST sit with a cup of coffee. Liz

Old 07-03-2007, 04:17 PM

12,408 posts, read 16,471,196 times
We look for a spot with a good teaching hospital and a university and discussion groups, good library, and with some semblence of safety.
We found that, when we lived in a major city, we walked a lot more. Here in the burbs we take the car everywhere. So we were actually healthier in the city. Also, as we age the mental pursuits will probably be most appreciated.
We are thinking of a condo in Seattle. No snow shovelling or lawn mowing.
The kids are able to take care of themselves, and have taken jobs that have moved them around the country several times.

Old 07-03-2007, 04:22 PM

1,433 posts, read 3,526,066 times
We left because of my husband's job. Our goal is to get back there someday. I would love to go back to almost anywhere in East Tennessee. I love it there. It is calm, peaceful, and has 4 seasons. There are lots of folks moving there to retire. Let me know if you end up that way, we could introduce you to my in-laws !!! They are great people!

Old 08-18-2007, 02:52 PM

59 posts, read 236,480 times
check out anderson, south carolina ......

Old 08-18-2007, 07:38 PM

7,099 posts, read 24,489,321 times
I would choose a place that had a large medical facility with a good reputation. It's nice to hope that you or your spouse won't need extra special care, but there's a good chance you will. There's also a good chance that it will come at a time of your lives when you wouldn't want to drive an hour or so to get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or