Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2007, 09:05 AM

257 posts, read 1,081,131 times

Advertisements

I have tried giving this a break, but I just can't........I think I am addicted to finding that special place to relocate too. I have been all over this forum, looking at different states, different cities, and seems like all I get is MORE confused and nutso.

How come I can't decide? I have tried the pros and cons lists, this works until I see an area or read about an area somewhere and I am off with it again.......My mind, and brain are not shutting off. Will it shut off after I move? or what?

Either it is too hot, too cold, threats of hurricanes, tornadoes, damp, dry, too expensive. Mostly too expensive!!! LOL.

Ok........all I want is a simple life of a walkable/bikeable city that has a river/lake that I can see.......coffeeshops/bookstores. Parks are a big plus! and a large library.......Getting to the point that I don't want the ocean or the desert. I am more apt to like the cold rather than the humidity. I don't make alot of money and don't want to spend my life savings on just surviving until I die. I need a place I can get a small fixer upper for less than $100,000. I love old/historical architecture but I know I will not get everything I need or want right? Or why not?

I am really tired of the humidity, where is there NO humidity? and would give up some humidity for the cold/dry.

Anyhow, this has been going on for 6yrs now........!!! HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 01:31 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,034,466 times
Maybe you are happy where you are? And you only think you want to move?

Sorry, but I don't think you will find everything on your list at the price you want to pay. Life is just never that perfect! We always want more than we can have.

Looks to me like money is your biggest limitation. Have you checked out unitedcountry.com. You can look at waterfront properties all over the US and there are quite a few in your price range. Most of these places are sort of rural. If you want a city and all the amenities the price goes up and up.

I've lived all over the world and no place is perfect. And every place has some redeeming qualities.

Old 06-24-2007, 01:46 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,219,039 times
Have you tried listing your priorities, and then sorting them into a top 5 listing? Perhaps a weighted average for each issue?

Maybe you like where you are or are afraid of the risks associated with change. Nothing wrong with that, just trying to surface ideas.

(BTW - Sounds like Madison Wisconsin to me)

Old 06-24-2007, 03:59 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,184,501 times
Large Library with parks means a larger city. Larger cities are seldom walkable or bikeable. However, your chances of finding that sort of set up would be most likely a smallish town that has a big university in it. I don't know how you would feel about Georgia, and I am not suggesting it, but something like Athens, GA might fit your needs. There should be a lot of college towns near lakes or rivers.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:57 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,305 times
No place is perfect, so I agree with NewToCA above. You need to decide on what your most important criterion is, then second most, third most, and fourth most, and fifth most important critera. These are your "Must Have" criteria.

Beyond that, towns may have attractive attributes or disadvantages, but nothing should be a "deal buster".

Our "Must Have" criteria were:
1) low crime
2) very low housing costs (median price below $150K)
3) low cost of living
4) town from 50,000 to 200,000 with adequate medical facilities
5) over 200 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, but the furthest south of towns meeting the other criteria.

Factors such as rainfall, bookstores, parks, libraries, universities, low taxes, educated population, architecture, and breath-taking scenery are important to me too, but not a "deal buster" for me. Your list will be different, though!

Old 06-24-2007, 07:18 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Putty, I don't think you are gonna find what you are looking for. Too many wants.

What does you husband what?
Where do you children fit in this picture? Do you have any and if so, plan on living close to them?
How close are you to actual retirement?
Liz

Old 06-24-2007, 07:31 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,855,329 times
I have to agree with many of the posters here. you'll have to decide upon the most important things first then make a little list of them. Maybe you'd like to live in the eastern part of the USA. If so that would go on your list. You don't want high humidity so there's another one. Price is important so that goes on the list.

After making many lists myself I've decided it's best to keep the 'have to have' list small. Next is another small list of it would be nice to have things. Okay I know this is a bit crazy having 2 lists but it's one way to get the job done. If you have a long list of have to have things you just won't find any place.

Now I've got my possible places down to about 6. A couple of them are not likely but still just on the list. I'll need to check them all out. Then there is the price thing. If any place starts going way up in price it'll come off the list.

It does take some time to figure it all out. I am in no hurry as I don't expect to go anywhere for a couple of years. Then if I can't find any place better I'll just stay here.

Old 06-24-2007, 07:49 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
Waterlily makes some really good points--the lists rather than a list. I have several and change them as I occasionally find that I've left off a vital piece of the moving puzzle.

The only thing I would add is that all the lists in the world don't substitute for seeing a place in person. And, short visits while helpful do not substitute for making a trip that gives you an opportunity to really explore and experience a place.

And if weather is important, and you do mention it, you'd possibly want to visit more than once, and in different seasons.

Good luck! I know how difficult it can be!

Old 06-26-2007, 09:07 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,747,810 times
We have also been looking for our last spot for years now. Tried Florida but the huricanes wiped out our realtors office before we could buy a lot. Then insurance went through the roof. We lived in a small mountain town in N. CA and that was ok, but way too early so we had to move to a bigger city in AZ to make up for lost wages. Got tired of snow so that was the end of that. Now we are looking at some of the southern states like Arkansaw or Alabama for cheap land to build a home on. Georgia also looks interesting. Low property taxes very important as we are only living off of savings, no 401K's or pensions. I see some opportunity for developers to do some affordable retirement communities for those of us who will not have millions. But, where to go?

Old 06-26-2007, 09:27 AM

1,439 posts, read 3,884,500 times
I just moved to Texas from Tennessee, but a GREAT retirement community (I am only about 25 years away from that LOL) is Cookeville or Crossville Tennessee. Both are popular spots with nearby lakes. Cookeville is an hour outside Nashville. Crossville is a little bit further down the road headed towards Knoxville (it has an unbelivably good Playhouse if you like plays). My in-laws live in Cookeville and are retiring there. My mom and dad retired to the beach in Alabama and have been hit hard with hurricanes. Ivan really got them. I know it is a constant stress, but for them it is worth it as they have always wanted to be on the beach. At any rate, you should look up both these places if Tennessee is a place you may think you would like. Great thing is you can get a lot of places from Nashville and Atlanta isn't to far away if you need a bigger airport. Best of luck to you and after all of the work you have done, I hope you find the perfect spot to ENJOY life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement