Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 07:19 AM

2,080 posts, read 3,920,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf's Up View Post
My petsitter went to Belize on a high school senior trip. Some of them took a guided side trip with other tourists on an old banger of a school bus. Adventurous fun for teenagers, right? Wrong. They were hijacked and forced to lie face down on the ground, then guys with guns patted them down, took all of their jewelry, money and anything else of value. It is foolish to relocate to any third world country with a romantic notion that you'll be allowed to assimilate and be treated any differently. In most places south of the border the mindset is, once a gringo, always a gringo.
Bingo! Wait until you're in your bed at 2AM and the front door is being kicked in. What do you do? Call the police? Good luck with that! You cant own guns there, the police are corrupt and you will become an easy target. Plenty of places in the US to retire inexpensively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 09:37 AM

17 posts, read 20,601 times
Belize is a wonderful country with very friendly people. I looked into retiring there and was there for several weeks. The problem for me was medical care. No hospitals except in Belize City, and few clinics. They speak English and you can use us dollars in many places. Climate, cost of living are fantastic. You can definately live there on 2k per month. Many expats there and many europeans. If they had available medical care i would do it in a minute. Who wouldnt want to be surrounded by tropical flowers, beautiful beaches, butterflies, birds, friendly people, great weather, all the fresh fruit and fish you can eat, belizean beer and rum, mayan ruins, snorkeling, and some great people?

Old 01-11-2015, 09:50 AM

17 posts, read 20,601 times
Oh by the way, i read some of the other posts. Crime is not a problem in Belize except in Belize City. I think some of the people were telling tall tales, rspecially the mexican residents. Crime IS a problem in Mexico, even in the Yucitan. I was a single female and felt MUCH safer in Belize than in Mexico, esp Cancun. I drove through the entire country in Belize and i mean ENTIRE, and never felt unsafe, even at night. Wouldnt recommend driving at night though, because the roads and speed bumps instead of speed limits will take you by surprise. Also, they do NOT drive on the left side of the road. Its exactly the same as the US. Silly rumors.

Old 01-11-2015, 03:06 PM

10,833 posts, read 14,927,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I investigated living outside the USA, but rejected it. Yes you can live cheaper but you also give up US conveniences, cheap power and others. What I found, is that if you want to live a USA lifestyle outside the USA, it will generally cost you about the same or more. Besides, there are ways to live very cheap in USA, even get along on just SS. Lots of folks do it. Live in low property tax state that doesn't tax SS, and you're pretty much there.
I did the same and came away with the same conclusions.

Sounds adventurous but I think I would get really bored after a time.

Medical is one concern and as we get a little older we're all gong to develop issues of one sort or another.

Cost of traveling back and forth to see the grand kids would break me. As it is now we can see the grand kids within 11 hours driving time.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 PM

3,773 posts, read 5,321,473 times
I spent 18 years living outside the USA. You never really feel like you fit in even if you learn the local language to fluency, which I did. The locals kept asking me, "Where are your parents?" Good question. I came back and was able to spend time with my father in the final 6 months of his life. Now the grandkids are arriving. Who can leave again now?

Been there. Done that. Didn't want the stinking T-shirt.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Well. I guess the low cost of living is one factor to consider. There's a television ad here that runs often promoting a Belize retirement. Older thick set man strolling along the beach with a young long haired local lady. Guess some folks have other things on their mind besides economic considerations.

Old 12-12-2019, 12:59 AM

63 posts, read 45,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
Belize is so last year, like Panama, Ecuador, Uruguay, Thailand, Costa Rica and etc. If you want to get by on only US$500 per month, then beat the crowd and check out these stellar offerings:

Afghanistan (especially in the south)
North Korea (bring your girly sunglasses with)
Zimbabwe
Do you happen to know much about zimbabwe? I've always been drawn to PARTS of Africe....no nothing of this country. Lol...do they have wifi...etc. Uruguay not so much in past....still many cheap areas.

Old 12-12-2019, 01:10 AM

63 posts, read 45,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestintheWest View Post
There are a few places south of the Border that are safe, inexpensive with excellent medical care. Several have expat buy in programs.
If homesick, fly back for a month a year and you still qualify for the 330 day a year fed tax exemption.
It can be done, did it. Some places you must be tolerant and learn "when in Rome".
Hi, kind of curious myself. So a resident in Mexico can have a fed tax exemption? How?
I'm open to parts of Mexico...would prefer closer to water frankly but...does healthcare extend there?

Old 12-12-2019, 11:03 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,947,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maganita View Post
Hi, kind of curious myself. So a resident in Mexico can have a fed tax exemption? How?
I'm open to parts of Mexico...would prefer closer to water frankly but...does healthcare extend there?
You might want to start a new thread about Mexico. This thread is 9 years old and is about Belize.

Old 12-12-2019, 11:11 AM

219 posts, read 163,372 times
In case anyone still thinks this is a good idea:

https://amandala.com.bz/news/sherris-stringham-67-dead/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement