Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I heard the foliage this season is suppose to be outstanding...have you heard anything? I want to come visit so badly!
A few trees have turned bright red. The best place is always the Berkshires. Today is a "10".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 01:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Is Eugene considerably cooler in summer than other parts of OR?
No it is in the middle / south end of the Willamette Valley, so prime & very 'typical' we_t-side weather. (short dry summer / long wet (moderate 30F - 45F) winters). Tho it is subject to fog in winter (between Coast range and Cascades, poor air flow during Baro pressure inversions.)

No / very little fog in the windy Columbia Gorge, but 80 mph winds at 19F with freezing rain can cool you right off! (couple weeks / year). Once you (or house) is completely encapsulated in ice it can get fairly warm (no more wind infiltration).

Old 08-30-2010, 05:17 AM

As summer winds up I think here in NE we've had the best August ever....cool, breezy, pleasant light rain sometimes and other times the quintessential New England weather--bright sun, cool, fresh air. This is probably not a pattern but I wish it were. Interested to see how Sept goes and how early or late winter arrives. The fall foliage too.

Old 08-30-2010, 05:43 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,320,643 times
I hope the fall folliage is just a little late. I have to go to BH, ME to put Pergo in my house in early to mid October and I hope that there are still some leaves to look at.

Z

Old 08-30-2010, 09:47 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Most , if not all the Midwest has experenced a very hot summer. Out Great lakes , that effect our climate here in the Northern Tier are warmer than ever recorded. Its still hot and everyone is waiting for a break, which is coming later this week. Our fall will be early, warm or not in Northern Michigan, one of the few places you can live normally without AC...but not this year !
We are looking at a very snowy winter , maybe another record. I have never seen Lake Superior this warm, the beaches are crowded, the drownings are becoming common , and the heat continues.

Old 08-30-2010, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I hope the fall folliage is just a little late. I have to go to BH, ME to put Pergo in my house in early to mid October and I hope that there are still some leaves to look at.

Z
Oh you definitely will get the foliage jazz in mid Oct! That's the height of it, almost always. It winds down final week in Oct. but up in Maine it all might happen a bit earlier for all I know. If you can manage to come a few days earlier you will certainly not miss it, bring your camera. You may want to bring some longies along (and a snow shovel and scraper in your car trunk), you never know, this is New England!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Most , if not all the Midwest has experenced a very hot summer. Out Great lakes , that effect our climate here in the Northern Tier are warmer than ever recorded. Its still hot and everyone is waiting for a break, which is coming later this week. Our fall will be early, warm or not in Northern Michigan, one of the few places you can live normally without AC...but not this year !
We are looking at a very snowy winter , maybe another record. I have never seen Lake Superior this warm, the beaches are crowded, the drownings are becoming common , and the heat continues.
Today our heat in southern new england is very hot, very dry, very (to me) pleasant, as there is within the heat the hint of September, harvest hay, apples etc. I cannot tolerate heat in June or July. I almost always love any kind of weather in August, but as I said earlier, even though we're having high heat this week it still feels like the fall season is coming earlier, which is fine with me. I am not a fan of summer (July)!

Old 08-30-2010, 07:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
I live on the Mexican Border at almost 5000 ft. It has rained here every day but one this month, sometimes 3 inches in an hour. Normally it's great here 10 degrees cooler than Tucson or Phoenix but this year it's the tropics

Old 08-30-2010, 07:25 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I live on the Mexican Border at almost 5000 ft. It has rained here every day but one this month, sometimes 3 inches in an hour. Normally it's great here 10 degrees cooler than Tucson or Phoenix but this year it's the tropics
like Harry Truman said...if you can't stand the heat.....

Old 08-31-2010, 08:05 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
like Harry Truman said...if you can't stand the heat.....
as I said, it's not the heat, it's the Florida like humidity. I'll bet next summer it won't rain at all
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement