U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 04:57 PM

1,284 posts, read 4,082,136 times

Advertisements

After living in California since 1977, I've decided that I have enough of California. I am leaving the state to get away from the extremely high cost of living, the crowds, rude drivers on the road, and a polictical climate that is not to my liking. I've looked at different areas and have just about decided on Tennessee. I'm originally from the deep south, so I don't believe I'll have any problem making the adjustment from life on the "left" coast to life in Tennessee. I currently live in a Sacramento suburb where the cost of living is 29% higher than the national average. The cost of living in the area of Tennessee that I am focusing on is 22% lower than the national average. Imagine that! My cost of living will decrease by 51%! Tennessee has no state income tax and retirement pensions are not taxed. I am Tennessee bound!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 05:39 PM

5,395 posts, read 21,398,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
Tennessee has no state income tax and retirement pensions are not taxed.
Dividends and interest are taxed. Also do your own evaluation of cost of living as many of the published comparisons may not have a balance of costs that parallel your budget.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:04 AM
CBB

481 posts, read 2,042,201 times
We will immediately sell our house near Munich and split the year between Ponte Vedra Beach, NE FL (winter half) and either Denmark or northernmost Germany (summer half). Looking forward to it!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,714 times
Question Laguna Woods

Is there anyone who can make comment on Laguna Woods Retirement community (formally known as Leisure World)? I am debating either going to Laguna Woods or buying townhome or condo in Long Beach, Calif to down size. I am not moving into retirement community in Long Beach. Yet, in Long Beach, affordable townhomes or condos are available.

Old 07-03-2007, 10:07 PM

66,478 posts, read 16,372,929 times
I have a lady friend whom I visit often in Laguna Woods Retirement Community.She loves it! She goes to the stables everyday to visit the horses and made friends there. It is on El Torro( Street or drive? ) very close to the Mall.
I really like the friendly,clean,secure atmosphere there.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:35 PM

1,195 posts, read 4,994,187 times
Will be retiring from Alaska to Nevada for the winter months and back to AK for the summer, plan for northern Nevada

Old 07-04-2007, 07:20 AM

4,097 posts, read 10,172,790 times
We have some time yet, but my guess is that we will see where the kids go before deciding.

I am not even sure where we will be in the next few years!

Dawn

Old 07-04-2007, 09:00 AM

153 posts, read 1,166,803 times
I'm originally from SoCal, and now living in NE KS, very pretty area with rolling hills...not flat and ugly at all. I love it here and if I decide to stay, the winters will be a piece of cake because I don't have to go out when it's really bad (which isn't that often anymore...winters were much worse 20+ yrs ago). However, that being said, IF I decide to relocate (and that won't be for another three yrs); I do like the SE area very much...TN, NC, AL, or GA even...not near the coast though. I love the ocean, but don't much want to have to face the hurricanes. IF I could afford CA, I'd head for the SLO (San Luis Obispo) area. Who knows? I may just stay put and enjoy the four seasons, clean air, low crime, not much traffic, very affordable housing and some of the friendliest people you'd find anywhere. I guess it's true that "there's no place like home" I'll be so glad to get away from Corporate America and the Salt Mines, that I'll be pretty content wherever I end up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or