Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 08:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
Well, I don't believe any place is paradise
Au contraire! There's Paradise, CA (one of my daughters and her family live there) and it's a very popular retirement site. There's also a rather charming town of Paradise, MI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 08:58 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,334 times
Paradise, Nevada incorporates the Las Vegas Strip and McCarron Airport. Who knew?!

Old 09-16-2010, 12:43 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I think that most people who have post BS or BA are actually excessively educated. Most people don't need that additional degree or two to do their jobs, but society has required it for other reasons. Educators in PA effectively must have a Masters Degree or they can't keep their teaching certificates, but do they actually need that to teach? Nope. My son knows all he really needs to know right now to be a nuclear physicist, with his Masters. But to go anywhere in the field, he's in Germany right now doing his doctoral research.

When people are excesively educated, they tend to think that they are inately better than people with lessor education levels. Its dumb, but true. When they go to expensive and exclusive undergraduate institutions, they think they are better than someone who has a BS from a state school.

In reality its all BS. My daughter has one of those undergrad kind of degrees and its taken her more than 8 years now to realize that people with BS degrees from Podunk College are way ahead of her in the chARGE to big jobs in the work world.

So yeah..... excessively educated.

Zarathu
Being long in the tooth, I can remember when education was about more than training to get a job. But that was then and this is now.

And given present-day American society and culture, I can certainly see how the broader dimension of the education received in the 50's and 60's would be viewed as excessively educated today.

In any case, Germany is a great place and your son should derive some enjoyment from living there while laboring at his unnecessary degree. In that respect, at least, he is lucky.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:51 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Default Finding Paradise

Yes folks , there is a place called Paradise , its right here in Upper Michigan. I have friends that grew up there , and they plan to retire back there someday. Its very rural , very small , and right on Lake Superior/ Huron. nature is the word , not at all a bad place, and , you can honestly say you live in Paradise !
The real bottom line however , is where ever you go , looking for Paradise , you will most likely come up a mile shy. I have found I think , that retiring here in Marquette , is the best of both worlds, ...small city, clean, educated people, no crime, good medical, and a reasonable cost of living. With Mother nature at our doorstep, and Lake Superior tempering our weather, this is as close to a real Paradise as I could hope for....and when you want the big city fix, its only 45 min. away from our International Airport...in Chicago.
Living is an award winning city, clean air, safe, and lots of friendly honest, fun loving people around you, DOES make all the difference in the world....I like it here.

Old 09-16-2010, 10:11 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
With Mother nature at our doorstep, and Lake Superior tempering our weather, this is as close to a real Paradise as I could hope for.....
LOL.

I believe I saw a stat that said that Marquette was the 5th snowiest city in the entire continental U.S. with an average annual snowfall of 141 inches!!

Marquette, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And as you'd expect, it gets downright cold there in the winter (and not that warm in the summer either).

The average high temp in December is 30 with an average low of 17.

The average high temp in January is 25 with an average low of 11.

The average high temp in February is 29 with an average low of 14.

Average Weather for Marquette, MI - Temperature and Precipitation

In fact, from November 18 until March 25, the average daily high never is higher than 39. (Even today, Sept. 16, the expected high is only 57, more than 40 degrees colder than Las Vegas.)

I am very happy for you that you have found "paradise" for yourself. But retiring to a place where the temp stays that cold for a 1/3 of the year with enormous amounts of snow would be closer to my definition of Hell rather than paradise.

As they say, different strokes for different folks.

BTW, the average high temps for Las Vegas from Nov. through March are 66, 57, 57, 63 and 69.

Now, 63 in February is closer to my idea of paradise!

Average Weather for Las Vegas, NV - Temperature and Precipitation

Old 09-16-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL.

I believe I saw a stat that said that Marquette was the 5th snowiest city in the entire continental U.S. with an average annual snowfall of 141 inches!!

And as you'd expect, it gets downright cold there in the winter (and not that warm in the summer either).

The average high temp in December is 30 with an average low of 17.

The average high temp in January is 25 with an average low of 11.

The average high temp in February is 29 with an average low of 14.

Average Weather for Marquette, MI - Temperature and Precipitation

In fact, from November 18 until March 25, the average daily high never is higher than 39. (Even today, Sept. 16, the expected high is only 57, more than 40 degrees colder than Las Vegas.)

I am very happy for you that you have found "paradise" for yourself. But retiring to a place where the temp stays that cold for a 1/3 of the year with enormous amounts of snow would be closer to my definition of Hell rather than paradise.

BTW, the average high temps for Las Vegas from Nov. through March are 66, 57, 57, 63 and 69.

Now, 63 in February is closer to my idea of paradise!

Average Weather for Las Vegas, NV - Temperature and Precipitation
Well , the rain has stopped, its sunny and 66 now , a very nice early fall day.
WE do have lots of snow , try 200+ inches, but its dry snow, great for outdoor sports. The temps ARE moderated here , we do not have those below 0 spikes and its a dry cold...... We don't need AC and have all the water we need, naturally.
The desert is fine if you like to live indoors more than half the Year...not for me. How's your Fall color these days ?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:40 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Yes folks , there is a place called Paradise , ...
Quote:
LOL.

Quote:
... dry cold...... We don't need AC and have all the water we need, naturally.
The desert is fine if you like to live indoors more than half the Year...not for me. How's your Fall color these days ?
our 'Paradise' (WA) has a bit more snow (500 - 1,100 inches) and it is a WET cold. ~ 45 min from SEATAC airport.

Paradise, Washington - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I too, am not very fond of HOT

Old 09-16-2010, 01:10 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,016,652 times
Quote:
How's your Fall color these days ?
I've never understood the fascination with watching leaves turn color and die over a period of a few weeks, then spending the next month raking them up and mulching them or bagging and throwing them out. (Followed of course, by a few months of shoveling snow until the leaves and the pollin return.)

But as I said, different strokes for different folks.

BTW, here is a link to a realtor's slideshow from when the house we bought was on the market last year. Unfortunately, I don't know how to C&P just the relevant pictures, but if you look at the first two and them several of our side and back yards at the end of the slideshow, you'll see that I have over 30 trees on my property (mostly palms), so I have more than enough greenery for my tastes.

And the trees aren't barren for six months of the year either, unlike those whose leaves die and change color for a few weeks.

Property Slideshow

There's desert living and then there's desert living.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM

183 posts, read 352,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Paradise, Nevada incorporates the Las Vegas Strip and McCarron Airport. Who knew?!
That is correct. The strip is not in the City of Las Vegas. It is in the jurisdiction of Clark County. The city line is up around Sahara Avenue.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
I've never understood the fascination with watching leaves turn color and die over a period of a few weeks, then spending the next month raking them up and mulching them or bagging and throwing them out. (Followed of course, by a few months of shoveling snow until the leaves and the pollin return.)

But as I said, different strokes for different folks.

BTW, here is a link to a realtor's slideshow from when the house we bought was on the market last year. Unfortunately, I don't know how to C&P just the relevant pictures, but if you look at the first two and them several of our side and back yards at the end of the slideshow, you'll see that I have over 30 trees on my property (mostly palms), so I have more than enough greenery for my tastes.

And the trees aren't barren for six months of the year either, unlike those whose leaves die and change color for a few weeks.

Property Slideshow

There's desert living and then there's desert living.
Was that one of them foreclosures we hear so much about out there ? Looks pertly upscale to me, no poor mans castle deep in the dusty desert they show on TV .....we have more than enough evergreens that make it through the long winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement