U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 12:50 AM

28,227 posts, read 47,656,129 times

Advertisements

From the South of France to Southern Colorado, here's where readers are spending their golden years.

Retiring in paradise - Cassagnes-Comtaux, France (1) - CNNMoney.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 08:48 AM

177 posts, read 470,532 times
Default paradise?

Well, I don't believe any place is paradise

There certainly are some places better than others

I'd be out of here in a flash if I had the $ to live in Europe, but you have to have quite a good income or lots of money to qualify for a retirement visa in Europe.

American society has stooped so low. This seems to be such a crude level of behavior that's acceptable now. And, there is no sense of neighborhood or community anymore here.

It takes money to make any place a little corner of paradise.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:02 AM

12,779 posts, read 14,114,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
From the South of France to Southern Colorado, here's where readers are spending their golden years.

Retiring in paradise - Cassagnes-Comtaux, France (1) - CNNMoney.com
Pictures on the net are lovely, no wonder they settled there.

Last edited by kevxu; 09-11-2010 at 09:16 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megonow View Post
...I'd be out of here in a flash if I had the $ to live in Europe, but you have to have quite a good income or lots of money to qualify for a retirement visa in Europe.....
Each country has its own requirements, of course; but you haven't said what "good income" or "lots of money" means in terms of actual dollars.

I have had retirement visas in two European countries. As I recall neither required a bank account of more than $10,000 - less as I recall, and proof of my SS and a small private pension were sufficient income. Obviously the more dependents you have the greater these sums become.

The money that you actually require to live depends upon your individual lifestyle, of course.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:39 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,783,225 times
So how many people make the serious mistake of moving in retirement to a place thst is idyllic and beautiful. My parents moved to this quaint little town in northern lancaster county, PA, a short distance from the Wilbur Chocolate factory(so the whole area smelled like chocolate all the time) and a very short walk from the Lititz Spring Park. They were the only people on their street with a big yard, and it was the house of my mom's great Aunt so she had childhood memories of the house.

But guess what? The town, while one of the most beautiful in Lancaster County PA, is kind of provincial. By the time they retired there in their late 50's, almost everyone who was their age already had friends and most weren't interested in developing any new ones. There was no retirement group for the excessively educated(since also in their generation very few people of their age became excessively educated). In toto, they lived there for more than 30 years before my dad died and my mom moved to a retirement house near my brother in NC.

There were intensely lonely in a beautiful place. They had few friends, couldn't make new ones, and eventually lived like hermits it a beautiful place, even rarely visiting the park anymore.

Don't just move to a place that is beautiful, move to a place where you will have friends like you. Unless you are very unusualy and simply don't like people you will eventually get lonely and wish to share your experiences with others. Even the biggest loner needs other humans.

Last edited by Zarathu; 09-11-2010 at 09:50 AM..

Old 09-11-2010, 07:53 PM

2,857 posts, read 3,944,866 times
Reading through the details of those people who retired in "paradise", the one common element is that they were internally happy with their circumstances. Thus, paradise is probably more internal than external.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:35 AM

Physical paradise is nicer than just a happy internal place. Its great to have both, and it takes effort to locat some place that fits both your lifestyle, people like you, and physically appealing to you, and BE WILLING to embark on a graet new adventure to move there in the last 1/3 of your life.

Most people are simply not willing to move to a new place after they retire. Too much work, too much effort.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
... There was no retirement group for the excessively educated(since also in their generation very few people of their age became excessively educated)....
I absolutely love that term "excessively educated"!!!!

It often seems in today's America as if anything beyond a Jr. High School equivalency degree would fit into that category.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:07 PM

I think that most people who have post BS or BA are actually excessively educated. Most people don't need that additional degree or two to do their jobs, but society has required it for other reasons. Educators in PA effectively must have a Masters Degree or they can't keep their teaching certificates, but do they actually need that to teach? Nope. My son knows all he really needs to know right now to be a nuclear physicist, with his Masters. But to go anywhere in the field, he's in Germany right now doing his doctoral research.

When people are excesively educated, they tend to think that they are inately better than people with lessor education levels. Its dumb, but true. When they go to expensive and exclusive undergraduate institutions, they think they are better than someone who has a BS from a state school.

In reality its all BS. My daughter has one of those undergrad kind of degrees and its taken her more than 8 years now to realize that people with BS degrees from Podunk College are way ahead of her in the chARGE to big jobs in the work world.

So yeah..... excessively educated.

Zarathu

Old 09-12-2010, 07:45 PM

183 posts, read 313,119 times
We live in a place that many consider paradise. Rural valley with all 2 acre lots and larger, very quiet, great views, blah, blah, blah. We love it, but they refuse to see the downside. The hour drive to shop, eat out or see a movie, the amount of work to maintain 5 acres and a big house, the wear and tear on our vehicles, the spotty cell phone coverage and lack of choices in internet providers, the flies from all the livestock, the...well, you get the idea.

The grass is always greener. No place is paradise and even if you could find that perfect place, would your friends like it? Your spouse? Would it remain as you found it? Be happy with what you have and if you can't find someplace you can be happy. If you spend your life looking for the perfect place to live, you will forever be disappointed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or