Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 05:32 PM

89 posts, read 132,085 times

Advertisements

This is just something I wonder about. When I visit my mother at the assisted living home, about 99 percent of the residents are female. This was also true at the senior apartment complex where she lived before. I can't believe that all the men have died! I thought maybe it's because if a man's wife dies, he marries a younger woman who can take care of him. But if a woman's husband dies, there is no one to take care of her so she winds up in assisted living.

What do you think? Are men vastly outnumbered by women in the over 70 crowd, or are women over-represented in the nursing and assisted living homes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:52 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,236,057 times
Men do tend to die sooner than women and are more likely to be felled by a killer disease. Women tend to get less of the quick killing diseases but more of the malingering dibilating diseases so they end up needing assisted living. So, yes, among the elderly, there are a lot more women than men.

Old 09-11-2010, 09:35 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,577,071 times
Yep;men are more likley to die sonner. Then if they are married often the women gets to condition that she enetrs a nuring home.But its also often that as long as one is healthy enough they continue to live together at home.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:56 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,356,933 times
men die sooner than woman account of the stress men have from trying to please a woman .........

Old 09-12-2010, 07:12 AM

37,281 posts, read 61,039,203 times
Along with there simply being more females than there are males; I have always heard that women also live much longer lives.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:23 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,306,996 times
Unless you lucked out with exceptional genes, the male of the species burns out before the female. However, the men in my gene pool generally live into their 90's, so FBK you can still drive down to visit me in Bar Harbor, for at least another 30 years, starting next year. But probably after awhile neither of us are gonna be hiking Dorr Mountain.

Old 09-12-2010, 08:15 AM

89 posts, read 132,085 times
So I wonder how we females will cope with the lack of males when we get to that age. The men at the assisted living home all look happy, but the women all look sad. Is that because 50 women have to share one little old man?

Old 09-12-2010, 08:48 AM

3,517 posts, read 13,236,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcoder View Post
So I wonder how we females will cope with the lack of males when we get to that age. The men at the assisted living home all look happy, but the women all look sad. Is that because 50 women have to share one little old man?
I suppose if the women's lives revolve only around a man then they would be unhappy. There are plenty who find a real freedom once the old goat is gone and his constant demands are removed.

More likely, the women look unhappy because they are sick and feel lousy. They are there because they are sick and can no longer take care of themselves. Not exactly a prescription for happiness & it has nothing to with "having to share the remaining man".

Old 09-12-2010, 09:08 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,306,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesaje View Post
I suppose if the women's lives revolve only around a man then they would be unhappy. There are plenty who find a real freedom once the old goat is gone and his constant demands are removed.
It is really sad that the only experience that apparently from the above remark that you have had with men is to describe us as "old goats" who would be good to be gone.

You probably scream when men use similar language for women.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM

3,576 posts, read 10,617,592 times
I've seen this discussion before, and a lot of people seemed to think that it may come down to the fact that many men tend to be poor caregivers, or find themselves to be lacking in the right skills and without the social network of support that women tend to have. It may be that maybe more of the men have the financial means to place their spouse into a facility where they can receive better care and live a better life than by staying at home. It may be that the men maybe tend to end up in VA hospitals. Maybe the women reached a point when they could no longer stand to be around their spouse and decided they needed to get away. I don't know. It is rather skewed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement