U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:04 PM

308 posts, read 321,460 times
Bette, I agree with Isabella that stress is the major problem. When I was in my forties, my mother was quite ill and for almost 3 years I drove to help out as much as I could (a five hour drive). I had 2 fairly young kids at the time and also worked. It was beyond exhausting, but I also felt so depressed everytime I saw my mother slowly declining in health. I think I felt older then than I do now 20 years later. I'm sure the time commitment was a part of it, but I'm convinced the emotional toll was the main reason for the exhaustion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:43 PM

3,959 posts, read 4,672,761 times
Smile Dealing with the stress

Yes, my husband and I both have seen the decline in our own parents and it is something so hard. My dad passed away 10 years ago at 72 so he was still pretty good; it was his heart and he knew that's what it would be so we were prepared.

His dad also has relatives that live out of state. They agreed he also needed to move and we had their blessing and his dad agreed to the idea of being closer to us. He only wanted a house and he didn't want to live with us. We found one. Perfect. Then, he said no after seeing it and became very distant toward us, especially me b/c he thinks I'm the one that pushed it. It was partly me but not totally.

Every weekend, we relive this stress. The last thing we want is to find him on the ground due to a fall or something worse. He is in total denial, still drives but that's another issue. (I do think he rarely leaves the house now - when my husband goes for the weekly visit and maybe once or twice during the work week, they go to the grocery store too).

I wish we could smell the roses more but we have to make up for the last 2 1/2 years businesswise - we are not where we want to be or need to be and have to get through it. I know a lot are just like us. We had to help my mother financially (she passed away this year) but we still have the condo she lived in to support.

I'm trying not to stress out too much.

Has exercise helped? If you lost 20 pounds, did you feel a lot better?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:54 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,510,305 times
At 62, the body is slowing down. I have lost weight in the past few months because of gallbladder problems, resulting in cutting the fat way back. I think walking has helped me...the more I do the better I feel. But honestly, the stress of everyday life is way beyond what I ever thought it would be at this age. Kids are needing more help lately......the economy has taken its toll on a lot of families. Keep your sense of humor and it is much easier to get through.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:48 PM

432 posts, read 529,277 times
Aerobic exercise definitely helps me. So does yoga, but I don't do it nearly as often as I should. Three times a week I get on the floor and spend 30 minutes doing exercises to strengthen my inner thighs and glutes and stretch my hamstrings. I've found that if I skip these exercises I get so stiff I can barely get out of bed in the morning. When I began packing for my move this summer I was so tired every day that I stopped working out with weights. I need to start doing those workouts again.

I agree with Jude1948 about keeping a sense of humor. Sometimes all you can do is laugh.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM

40,871 posts, read 42,205,233 times
I am 63 and started really feeling it at 60. By then every old injury let me know it had reared it head again when I did heavy work;especailly when it cold out.

Old 09-26-2010, 11:32 PM

7,029 posts, read 6,380,815 times
I'm 61. I think I first "felt my age" at age forty. My brother who has spent a lifetime racing cars called it "hitting the wall." I call life a roller coaster ride; at first it's a slow chug to the top (age 40) but afterward it's a wild ride to the bottom. Actually trying to heal from two different serious accidents (tree-trimming and auto) this past year has really slowed me down considerably. In light of my inability to sufficiently take care of things, my wife and I are trying to sell off some of our rental properties. However, this economy not only has removed much of our equity from our primary home, it has made it next to impossible to sell any property. I am sure the stress of the failing U.S. economy at the end of our work lives is not helping the health situation either.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:49 AM

7,406 posts, read 13,042,867 times
I felt old when I lived in frozen, rural, MN, worked full time, had a 3 hour a day commute, and took care of my ageing parents. I had an acre to care for and shovel. There was never any time for goofing off or fun. I just kept on plodding and putting one foot in front of the other. Yes, I was old.

Well, time passed and so did mom and dad. I left MN and moved to NV. I retired from my 32+ year job and got a new job. I changed my entire life. I have a swimming pool and yard work is a couple gallons of roundup every year. I live in a real city where there are plenty of things to do and I go out and do 3 or 4 times a week. I got younger. I have plenty of energy. I can do anything I want to do. I'm having a ball. I know it won't last forever so I'm making the best of it.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:51 AM

9,814 posts, read 12,973,239 times
Working third shift has aged me too fast. Food cravings, spacy tiredness/no exercise... I know what I have to do. I don't do it. Yet.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:01 AM

19,431 posts, read 13,923,902 times
At 50 i started to get tired and lethargic and feeling kinda burned out. A trip to the Doctor and an ensuing blood test had me diagnosed with diabetes.
drugs,diet and exercise have me feeling much better.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:59 AM

87 posts, read 57,782 times
I think I started feeling it at 40, when I noticed my vision getting a little fuzzy. I was also fairly sedentary and overweight, so I was tired al the time. Then of course, one starts getting aches, pains, or orther symtoms associated with "old age". My wife and I call these "yet another embarassment". In the past few years, however, I've started to eat better, and excersize. I ride a bicycle 100+ miles a week, work out a few times a week, and have dropped weight. Still got a lot of embarrassments, though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement