Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 02:15 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times

Advertisements

have you wife make you a mummy bag , just from your hips down to your feet , or use a large pillow case. thrashing around might be configned to that pillow case just a bit . but is sounds like there are some unresolved issues in your life hidden deep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 12:50 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
Spudee, are you taking any medication? I've heard that certain drugs for sleep can make some people do strange things -- get up and raid the refrigerator, for example.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:47 PM

102 posts, read 166,921 times
G'day Arleigh & Riverbird,

A mummy bag; now that is an interesting suggestion. However, I suspect I would suffer a bad case of claustrophobia if I were to encase myself in one of those.

I do take a number of meds but most I have been on for years without any sleep disorders. And there is no chance of me carrying out a midnight 'fridge raid as my lovely wife would not approve.

Thanks to both of you for responding.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:48 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
G'day Biscuitmom,

Not sure why you are so adamant that 'osteopenia' is not a disease as there is quite a bit of info on the net about it For example:
Osteopenia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
G'day backatcha, Spudee!
If you read that Wikipedia article carefully, and suspend judgement re the reliability in general of Wikipedia, you'll see that it nowhere calls osteopenia a 'disease' but rather refers to it in terms of numbers from a norm and acknowledges the controversy about that so-called diagnosis.

I have on hand several pieces of paper that say my own personal med test numbers indicate osteopenia so I have done a great deal of research which reassures me that there's no such "disease".
Indeed there is a great deal of controversy as to whether it's even a "condition", and the weight of the evidence comes down on the side of osteopenia being a non-disease and a non-condition. The very term is one invented by purveyors of drugs to 'cure' something that doesn't require treatment.
Long story short, "osteopenia" means your bone density numbers, like almost everyone who's live past the three-score mark, fall short of the optimal for a 30-year-old, and are at worst not far off the mark for a baby-boomer. (if the numbers are far off the mark, then what you have is osteoporosis, but neither nor you nor I have that, so nevermind.)

There's an over-abundance of non-wikipedia material on the whole osteopenia issue. That material's not hard to find even if you're not a professional research librarian like me. I have access to professional medical databases. If you don't, my hunch is you can google terms like "osteopenia controversy" to get the gist.

I'm on your side. My point is not to debate with you, but to help you to focus upon what your problem is. What it *is not* is osteopenia. Put that term out of your mind as you ponder your very real problem and seek help.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:13 PM

102 posts, read 166,921 times
Thanks Biscuitmom,

As suggested by you I did take a look at material on the net relating to the 'osteopenia controversy' and see what you are talking about. In my OP I merely used the Wikipedia reference as an example. However, I have also read lots of additional material which suggests that the disease/condition is recognised by many medicoes.

Anyway, that was not the subject of my OP but the problems associated with 'REM sleep disorder which I am experiencing at present. I made mention of my vertebra fracture as this was agrivated by my leaping out of bed. I am weighing up options at present but will probably seek referral to a sleep clinic.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I am weighing up options at present but will probably seek referral to a sleep clinic.
good next move, mate.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:44 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Forget the ostopenia; it's not even a real disease.

Your sleep problems and your vertebrae problem (not related to your so-called ostopenia) won't be helped by calcium supplements.
You need another GP but as movinon said, it sounds like your primary problem is a sleep disorder. So get yourself to someone who specializes in those.
Osteopenia is a condition. It is a precursor to osteoporosis.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:48 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,151,429 times
Best to check with your physician--almost sounds like restless leg syndrome (or "jimmy legs" as they used to call it on Seinfeld). You have a bit more body involvement, however. My husband "runs" in his sleeps but also has smacked me in the nose a couple of times. I'd like to get one of those "chastity" bed divider boards like they used in puritan times....

Old 10-02-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townandcountrygal View Post
Osteopenia is a condition. It is a precursor to osteoporosis.
Not always. In fact, very frequently not. But we digress...

Old 10-02-2010, 07:34 PM

745 posts, read 1,648,083 times
Spudee, Taking calcium alone is not the way to go.
Be Sure to also Take Magnesium!
This could solve some of your other problems.
It will help to calm your nerves.
Research "Magnesium and Nerves".
Here is one article:
The Role of Magnesium in Fibromyalgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement