U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 11:25 AM

23,501 posts, read 18,824,829 times
From todays USA Today

Experts agree: Get over your fear and get back into stocks - USATODAY.com
Quote:
NEW YORK — Five Wall Street heavyweights say it's time for individual investors to shun the perceived safety of bonds — and get over their fear of the U.S. stock market — so they can take advantage of what they predict will be a third straight year of solid gains for stocks in 2011.

The major theme from USA TODAY's 15th annual Investment Roundtable is that the bond market is looking riskier amid signs the economy is gaining traction. The five panelists say stocks, which get a boost from stronger growth, will post better returns than bonds in 2011. They are advising investors, many still leery two years after the financial crisis, to start shifting some investment dollars out of bonds and back into stocks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2010, 09:17 PM

2,488 posts, read 377,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the million dollar question:::::

talk about confused... as for myself its all about making my income goal with as little risk as i can. im not increasing equities beyond 30% and even at the levels my bonds are generating now the income works so except for some minor nudges im not changing much.

i may swap some of the bond money at some point for a fund like strategic real return from fidelity which is more inflation oriented but i see no major changes for my active portfolio.

the permanent portfolio concept i follow for the other 1/2 of my portfolio will always remain unchanged with 25% in each of equities,gold,cash and long term treasuries with only rebalancing when things get out of whack

my exact philosophy as well with the exception as a couple of libor indexed corporate notes with 5 year maturities or less.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:44 AM

4,010 posts, read 12,776,860 times
I happen to find this explanation of QE and found it amusing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTUY16CkS-k

Old 01-05-2011, 08:46 AM

28,678 posts, read 24,610,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the million dollar question:::::

talk about confused... as for myself its all about making my income goal with as little risk as i can. im not increasing equities beyond 30% and even at the levels my bonds are generating now the income works so except for some minor nudges im not changing much.

i may swap some of the bond money at some point for a fund like strategic real return from fidelity which is more inflation oriented but i see no major changes for my active portfolio.

the permanent portfolio concept i follow for the other 1/2 of my portfolio will always remain unchanged with 25% in each of equities,gold,cash and long term treasuries with only rebalancing when things get out of whack
well as of january 1 the investment grade intermediate term bonds in my actively manged portfolio are now gone. as conditions changed so did the portfolio... only bonds left are the short term bond funds. all investment grade bonds are now gone . they are in fidlity floating rate loans instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement