Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 05:56 PM

102 posts, read 166,944 times

Advertisements

I must be in reflective, philosophical mode lately and like many other forum users I am in the 'autumn of my years'; a time for contemplation and mind-cleansing. So lately I have been thinking a little about the 'what-ifs' in my life passage and the now-surfacing little tinges of regret about things I missed out on and that now seem important to me.

I finished school here in Oz back in the early 1960s having not completed high school; this was not so unusual here back then. I lived in an industrial area (steel mills and coal mines) and the level reached in education reflected this. Most boys went into the mines, the steel mills, trade apprenticships, or, like me into office work. (I didn't stay in that field too long and my life moved in other directions). The girls went into clothing mills, office work and young marriages. In my high school I can think of perhaps half a dozen students in my year who graduated and went on to university.

Now I find that I regret not having completed high school, graduated and went on to study in college. Later in life I found writing and had a short-lived but personally satisfying stint in writing features for a number of Australian and US magazines and newspapers. I also wrote an incredible biography (note: not an autobiography) which was almost published.

So fellow autumn-lifers, what are your regrets?

Last edited by Spudee; 10-07-2010 at 05:58 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2010, 06:35 PM

438 posts, read 1,115,158 times
I wish I had paid more visits to my parents before my dad died. I wish I had been nicer to my husband. I took him for granted, never expecting him to drop dead in his forties of a sudden heart attack.

Old 10-07-2010, 06:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
I must be in reflective, philosophical mode lately and like many other forum users I am in the 'autumn of my years'; a time for contemplation and mind-cleansing. So lately I have been thinking a little about the 'what-ifs' in my life passage and the now-surfacing little tinges of regret about things I missed out on and that now seem important to me.

I finished school here in Oz back in the early 1960s having not completed high school; this was not so unusual here back then. I lived in an industrial area (steel mills and coal mines) and the level reached in education reflected this. Most boys went into the mines, the steel mills, trade apprenticships, or, like me into office work. (I didn't stay in that field too long and my life moved in other directions). The girls went into clothing mills, office work and young marriages. In my high school I can think of perhaps half a dozen students in my year who graduated and went on to university.

Now I find that I regret not having completed high school, graduated and went on to study in college. Later in life I found writing and had a short-lived but personally satisfying stint in writing features for a number of Australian and US magazines and newspapers. I also wrote an incredible biography (note: not an autobiography) which was almost published.

So fellow autumn-lifers, what are your regrets?
Having gone to college and graduate school instead of living on my original talents and wits. I'm split about the value of college. I got my graduate degree late in life, in my 40s, so I missed what an advanced degree can do for you at a much younger age.

I've gotten further and further away from my true talents, which I could have made a decent living on just as well with a lot happier involvement in life (than what I went into).

Other regrets: Not believing enough in myself and the wonderful talents I had when young. And, not waiting till older to be married....

Old 10-07-2010, 07:23 PM

1,830 posts, read 6,153,706 times
Ah, yes, regrets. Have many but try not to dwell on them--at least not too often. Should have finished that last year of college--had a tuition waiver. Should have been there when my mother passed instead of on top of the Alps. Should have held on *tightly* to my retirement funds and not have moved to NM and built a huge home.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:15 AM

18,722 posts, read 33,380,506 times
Any regrets involve wishing I'd been a different person at certain junctures. I don't spend a lot of time thinking about it

Old 10-08-2010, 12:45 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudee View Post
Look at it like this ---at least you do remember. I think of something I've had on my keyring for maybe 20 years: Of all the things that I have lost I miss my mind the most.

I think I've been lucky that I did some things that I had initially resisted but in thinking back about it, turned out quite fortunate for me in the long run. I always seemed to land on my feet no matter what. Pure luck. The other thing I reflect on is had I waited for others, in my life, to do the things that I wanted to do, I would not have had at least half of my experiences. I'm not a fan of compromise. If I wanted to do something/see something and it wasn't the cup of tea of friends, relatives, husband, etc., I just did it myself rather than miss out on it. I know so many people who miss out on things they want to do/see because they won't do those things alone.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:52 AM

106,654 posts, read 108,790,719 times
we rarely regret the things we did..its usually the things we didnt do

Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,951,486 times
I only replay my shortcomings for myself in an effort to pass some little wisdom I have on to my children and grandchildren. Although I have been more successful financially than anyone else in the family I do recognize where I probably would have done better in many areas of life with a different perspective.

I try to stress behavior that recognizes the importance of interaction and sensitivity with other people as being as important as individual accomplishments. Along with initiative and commitment to excellence in any endeavor taken on and you have a formula for success.

Simple guidelines I did not clearly see early in life.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:02 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
I might do more things but not really any regrets overall.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Like texdav and mathjak, I wish I did more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement