U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 06:31 PM

24 posts, read 38,119 times
Exclamation What to do in retirement after all!!!

Well, I have posted about what my average monthly expenses would be in retirement and whether it's too early to plan for retirement. Now what? Beside financial thinking or planning, what else do I have to start thinking about in retirement. I know I would LOVE to travel, then what after that. Just keep going and going....I know I should find a hobby. I know I should volunteer. I know I should find some new things to do or learn something new. Maybe work on things that I always want to do but put them off because I don't have time to do while working. On and on...

Any thoughts and experience on life after retiring. Is it that hard to think about? Is it that complicated?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2010, 07:31 PM

1,931 posts, read 884,250 times
Once you take care of the financial side, healthcare and perhaps whether you'll move or stay put, investigate your "lifestyle" options (volunteering, entertainment, family routine/visits, travel). Then I'd recommend taking about 6 months immediately after retirement to just "be". Then gradually start adding things to your schedule as you feel like taking on new commitments and experiences. I'm ten months into my retirement and life feels just about right!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:51 PM

41,241 posts, read 43,989,368 times
I thnik that you need to start plannig on things besides travel that you never got to now. Thatw ay you can start them. takig 6 months off can get you to couch potatoes status quickly;I know a few. I always have plans from mornig until lunch at 100 pm. Then I have coffee with long time friends also retired. Get home about 4:30. My wife always has somethig more like shopping for supper and anything fresh for breakfast next days. Other days I am hunting or fishing especially during the week;no crowds except me and retired firends.I will be truthful and tell you the to do list has keep growing but many are things I never have on the list when working.The only people I see that have problems on using time is those that worked and then mostly were couch potatoes really.Even shopping isn't bad when you have the time and can do it when others work.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:19 PM

122 posts, read 122,508 times
I think if you young and healthy have enough money to travel then do it, otherwise city-data is not a bad place to travel thru cyber space via some body else life.

Old 10-14-2010, 04:27 AM

9,954 posts, read 13,539,889 times
I can't get past looking forward to not working. I'll worry about spending my time when the time comes (although do want to do some "real work," that is, volunteering, and hope to spend some time out West).

Old 10-14-2010, 07:37 AM

755 posts, read 699,719 times
I have a friend who has been retired for over 10 years. He was in a serious accident and has numerous major health issues. He should have been dead a couple of times at least. Instead he is very active and happy with his life. He is always busy and does as much as he can everyday. He tells me that most of his friends that retired about his age are now dead. They did not have hobbies and interests. They sat on the couch, watched a lot of TV, rapidly deteriorated and died.

I can't wait for retirement and have more interests than I can handle. The camper is in the driveway. As soon as the house is sold, my wife and I will start with a photography tour of North America. I suspect that will last for a couple of years - full time. I am also planning on keeping up with my archery skills and my wife will also be doing watercolor. After that initial blitz, we will probably relocate and need to decide which activities we have time for.

I feel really sorry for those of you who barely have an idea of retirement. Maybe you could make a list of activities. Which really interests you? I would recommend something more specific than "volunteering". Think about what is important to you and what you want to accomplish.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM

2,403 posts, read 2,937,042 times
Difficult to suggest "one should do these things", as we are all different in terms of hobbies, interests, health, dough, energy, etc. ...strictly from my experience having bailed out 10 yrs ago at age 53: the change is considerable, esp. if you were used to "work", being in charge of or managing people, the corporate routine, etc. But, asone settles in, one needs to be careful of not "settling in" too much. texdave's comment about the couch potato deal is right on, imo.

"Travel" is fun, (but I "travelled" 150-200 nights for 25 years, so it is less alluring to me), but travel is not cheap, and requires some good energy, rigorous approaches, etc.

House: staying where you are or, moving? Paid it off, and want to go rent, or buy again...the homebase situ, whatever it is that works for you, is very important, imo.

Volunteer: yes, imo. I worked hard/smart, but I was fortunate, too; so I volunteer regularly on a few very local/very specific situations. I can't stop world hunger; I can help the in effort to provide local people with skills, hope and support. Charity, and volunteering begin at "home" for me: town, county, etc. I care, but can't help any situ a long ways away.

Hobbies: anything that gets you off the couch, away from the wine, and outside occasionally is a good thing, imo. Chase some things you always thought about, try to get better at things you used to be ok at, broaden you horizons. But, avoid the camp list of "I gotta try this, this & this" all in the first few months or year. But, do "something(s)"! Outside activities of any kind are a daily necessity, regardless of weather, imo.

Realize your daily schedule is going to be different, and allow it to be so, but remember you will have flexibility that you did not have before. And, other than spouse, and a few good friends, you will find yourself having to "perform" or "please" someone less and less. It is your life.

Spouse: if you have one, and they are used to their routine and/or you being at "work", the new 24/7 together will take some adjustment, sense of humor and compromise. As the sign says:
"Retirement: more husband, less money!"

Don't get caught in the list making of these are the 10 things I have to/must go do the day or month after retirement. (We built a new home on the Mtn here in western NC, from afar back in NY, so we were slightly consumed by that process the first year.) My point is slide into retirement, but keep an open mind, and get into some "things" to give them a try and keep active, as you go through the process of deciding "what you want to be/do" with the next stage of your life.

And, remember, be flexible, be open, and enjoy it. This is the time we worked for, in many ways.
My apology for the term paper; I just got rolling, as I thought through your question...
GL, mD

Old 10-14-2010, 09:36 AM

8,524 posts, read 3,752,146 times
just the thought of not having to get up @ 04:00 for work is a blessing!! Can't wait!!

Old 10-14-2010, 01:00 PM

28 posts, read 22,130 times
My motto is: retire with a purpose ... or start to die!

Retirement is an opportunity to do all those things that you dreamed about and never got around to doing.

The world is filled with fascinating things to do, places to see and exciting opportunities. To dispel preconceived ideas and prejudices through actual living experiences.

Travel doesn't have to be a hectic moving around from place to place to fill a photo album of been there done that. Spend 3 to 6 months, or longer, in a country - learn a new language, teach english, volunteer, write about your experiences, learn about different cultures, take cookery classes, learn a new skill or whatever else takes your fancy.

Through these experiences you may find a whole new meaning to living your retirement.

It's actually really easy ... start at the top of your wish list and just do it!

Good luck and have fun.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:49 PM

24 posts, read 38,119 times
Thank you all for replying. Interesting suggestions indeed. Sitting here in front of my computer reading this post, it made me think about how we've moved from stage to stage in life. One chapter after another. When we were 18 we said to ourselves "what do I want to do in life?" Before we know it, we either ended up in working or in college. Then came the marriage, the kids, and then the grand kids for some of us. Some remain single and keep working to support themselves. Some of us learned it the hard way, some had it easy by learning from others. Now comes retirement.

As for me one chapter of my life is coming to an end and another is about to begin. Dreaming again. I still have a decade to go before I'm eligible to retire.

What I'm saying is that even we're getting older and wiser, it doesn't mean we know everything in life. we might know better, but still have alot to learn. When it comes to retirement, it is still a scary thought for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement