U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-07-2007, 04:22 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,132,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norm
I am only planning on renting an RV . . . I can't imagine it would cost more than flying
Hummmm, I'm not sure . . . renting an RV can be very expensive. I've never rented one, but some of the monthly prices I've heard sound pretty high, far in excess of double a typical purchase payment price for the kind of RV you're renting. You might want to give a hard look at the costs before you sign on the line.

You'll probably find that the RV park costs will be less than the cost of a quality motel/hotel room. However, what about driving around? Are you going to drive the big RV everywhere in town after you're already hooked-up in the park, are you going to tow your car behind the RV and is it one that you can tow, or are you going to rent a car in each different city? These are all things to consider.

I guess it comes down to this. Take the rental rate of your RV and divide it by 30 (days). Add that to the daily cost of renting an RV spot, which could also turn out a little less if you rent by the week or month. That will be your daily cost for RV'ing. Then, see if that end number is any less than staying in a hotel in your different places.

Issues like a the rental car, if you're not towing one, and restaurant fees will remain the same between the two modes of travel so they can be left out of the equation.

Also, if you're not using an RV and will be driving instead of flying you might consider the gas costs a push too. Otherwise, you might want to look at the flying costs and see if there's any difference between the ticket prices and the cost of fuel if you drove. Add or subtract accordingly.

The bottom line is that you should get a difference between the two modes of travel, RV vs. fly/hotel. It might point you in the direction you need to go. Even if the figures favor the RV, you still might wish to go the motel/hotel route because of the added responsibilities of dealing with RV systems, driving an unknown condition mechanical item in the middle of Tim-buc-tu, changing and washing bedding, keeping things clean, etc., and the chance that the nearest RV park may not be close to the area you want to investigate.

Good luck!

Last edited by garth; 07-07-2007 at 04:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-07-2007, 04:54 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,132,257 times
Just thought I'd add something. I ran a quick query over on El Monte RV's website for an RV to rent and return to NJ. For a period of 64 days, it gave me a cost of $15400 for a 32' to 34' gas Type A motorhome . . .plus mileage. There were smaller Type C's listed on the site, but apparently they were not available or already rented in NJ.

In any case, good heavens, $15K for two months is a lot of money. For $7500 per month, I can stay in some pretty nice hotels.

Now, that was just a quick cursery query. However, it still shows what some of these places charge for these things. Maybe you could find a smaller Type C, but still be wary of the charges.

Again, good luck.

ON EDIT: When I went back and added in a mileage estimate on the RV rental website, holy cow!!! The price jumped up to $20,000 for just two months. I don't know, but at those rates I might just fly first class, stay in the Presidential Suite, and drive a rented Cadillac during my trip. I would suggest taking a hard look at this situation.

Last edited by garth; 07-07-2007 at 05:15 PM..

Unread 07-08-2007, 09:18 AM

821 posts, read 2,315,420 times
Okay back to plan B fly & rent a car. I appreciate all of the advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement