Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 04:41 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,655,876 times

Advertisements

[quote=Cattknap;1025965]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I do not believe people in good health between 55-70 should just quit their jobs and sit around all day doing nothing, but I wonder if America really needs people in their 60s and 70s working full time when there is so many younger workers looking for a job./QUOTE]

What an odd perception of retired people. Some of the busiest and happiest people I know are retired and have full schedules of volunteer work, travel, boating, jogging, golf, social groups, church service, family, hobbies, gardening, writing, painting, etc. My husband and I will not be working after we retire next year - for the rest of our productive lives we will choose a variety of enjoyable, enriching and diverse activities. Many people work their whole lives for other people doing what they are directed to do by others - retirement means freedom to choose the things you want to do when you want to do them - it should be the best and most interesting part of your life.

If all you have ever done is work and you think there is nothing in life more fulfilling than working, you have led a one-dimensional life.
I totally agree. We are retiring early next year, both 60. We want to enjoy our time together: traveling, motorcycling, family, wood-working, gardening, quilting, volunteering, etc. Unfortunately we see a lot of people continue working well beyond when they could retire or retire from the company and go back as consultants. It seems many people think their "life" is their jobs. One has to wonder why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
Unfortunately we see a lot of people continue working well beyond when they could retire or retire from the company and go back as consultants. It seems many people think their "life" is their jobs. One has to wonder why.
Maybe because only one of them is ready to retire and the other isn't yet? Or the other isn't old enough? Or they still have some bills they need to take care of before retiring finally?

A friend of mine took early retirement, his wife is still working. Then they had two weddings come up and had to buy a new car. Now her car is biting the dust (it's a REALLY old Buick Roadmaster) and while they really don't want to replace it, they may not have an option. He went back as a consultant 18 months ago, turns out it was a good thing cause they also had some major medical hit them.

She said she will think about retirement in 2-3 years when she hits 60. He will revisit the subject this winter. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 05:13 PM

36,412 posts, read 16,020,348 times
I'm 54 and I know I can't retire at 65, can't afford it. But I also don't see any youngsters trying to fill my shoes, after 25 years in manufacturing and customer service, experience matters. I do think it would be hard for me to find another job, even though I can't stand where I work, the ethics, management and such. I would be up against younger persons with college degrees, but nothing beats experience. I would like to retire or work part time at 60 or 65 but it doesn't appear that will be happening.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:20 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,665,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
Wow, a-writer ... it sounds to me like you've got the basics and the principles (and principal) down right.

Living within your means and still investing in income property at the same time, while making equipment purchases for your business? And investing in raw land, too?

Looks rather good to me. I believe you'll hit a point in a few years where cash flow from rentals and paid for equipment will come together and you'll have more disposable/investable income than you can imagine now.

Good for you!
Well, that is our plan, but, we have sacrificed a bit for years to be in this situation. And, I must point out, WE didn't and don't see our lives as sacrificing, but our children sure do. I actually feel we are closer than most people, as we work together, and the fireworks can fly at times, but that just makes the other fireworks better. Seriously, I don't feel we have missed out on life, and that is the attitude we have tried to instill in our children. I hope one day they will understand why they don't have the latest and greatest, and that one day they will value the hard work it takes to earn a living and try to live their lives as such.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:40 PM

786 posts, read 4,731,745 times
I was hoping for an explaination of why the media is promoting (hyping) late retirement, not people's own stories of poor financial planning.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:54 PM

3,287 posts, read 9,183,864 times
Quote:
I was hoping for an explaination of why the media is promoting (hyping) late retirement, not people's own stories of poor financial planning.
Since none of us are in the media, all we really have to offer are our own stories. Who knows why the media is doing it. Liz

Old 07-08-2007, 06:21 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,852,865 times
Default media on retirement

Quote:
I am going to take a guess at this and I have no facts to back it up. It's just going to be my ideas.

I feel the politics and possibly the current people in Govenment are pushing this idea of working longer. They are pushing the media. The media will sometimes do things to please those in charge.

Why push people to work longer? They can collect more taxes and more Social Security that way.

Now I don't want to turn this into a political debate. I'm only suggesting this may be the cause. Myself I don't like the idea of being pushed to do things for my life. We'll retire when we want.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:26 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Here are my thoughts on this (though I don't really know if they are valid at all):

Many Baby Boomers have not saved much for retirement, for various reasons.

Social Security is wobbling, so that may make retirement even less feasible for some Baby Boomers.

There is a theory that if Baby Boomers left the work force "on time", this would strike a blow to our economy and GNP.

Some people (and possibly the media) think that encouraging work past the usual retirement age would keep Baby Boomers off the dole and shore up the economy/GNP.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:17 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Would it be news if 65 were still the usual retirement age? Of course not.

But they can find a way to make it something worth writing about if it seems that people are voluntarily working later.

I don't think the Media is pushing it. It's just this weeks News. More interesting that Paris Hilton, don't you think!!!

Old 07-09-2007, 08:18 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
I have seen an increasing number of stories in the media about how many people who reach retirement age are continuing to work. I always wonder if this is a form of social engineering on the part of powerful forces within our government, media and the investment industry, to try to convince older Americans to keep working.
Are we talking traditional media like TV news? I ask because their audience is older and it could just be they are looking to do stories they think will appeal to their audience. I say that because the media has nothing to gain monetarily by pushing that "work 'til you drop" agenda, as far as I can tell. I think they might just be scrounging around for stories that will appeal to seniors.

In a 2005 annual report on american journalism it said people 65 and over are the the biggest viewer age group for both network and cable news. It also said older news viewers tend to be regular news consumers whereas younger people tend to watch only when something is happening. So, my guess is if they were looking for an interest story, rather than a news story, they'd want to do one that interested older americans. My guess is there is no story just to say people are happily retired so it doesn't interest them to cover it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement