U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 07:15 PM

4,254 posts, read 8,310,214 times

Advertisements

Nope, our health care alone is half again that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 08:00 PM

13,568 posts, read 23,078,411 times
I know a few ppl who do it but they live in low cost apts. It is rough and there aren't very many jobs in a small town unless you work at Wally World.

I could almost make it if I didn't have pets. I don't have a car note, house is paid and the taxes are less than $200 a year. Insurance on house and car are around 1,200 a year. Health insurance just went up from less than $50 a month to $150.00 a month. It is the little things like replacing the heat pump, new roof, new washer/dryer that kill ya

Post link not copyrighted material

Old 12-21-2010, 08:48 PM

8,270 posts, read 6,166,422 times
Pets would be a deal breaker for any chance with us doing $1000/month too. It seems like every few months there is some reason to be spending $60 to take our dog our cat in to be told by a vet to "keep an eye" whatever malady has befallen them.

I can honestly see it being possible if it weren't for unexpected major expenses. Cruising along with just food/rent/utils is one thing, suddenly having a leaky roof, broken air conditioner, or needing a root canal and crown would wreck everything in a hurry.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 PM

4,507 posts, read 2,199,184 times
Our property tax bill, for a regular house on a small lot, is $13,600 this year. We are being told that the $1,400 increase this year is nothing, to be prepared for REAL increases in the future. So $1,000 a month wouldn't even meet that if we had NO expenses.

Why we aren't storming local town offices in NH and telling them we won't allow them to confiscate our homes? They won't stop until they've taken everything it took us a lifetime to earn.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,649,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Our property tax bill, for a regular house on a small lot, is $13,600 this year. We are being told that the $1,400 increase this year is nothing, to be prepared for REAL increases in the future. So $1,000 a month wouldn't even meet that if we had NO expenses.

Why we aren't storming local town offices in NH and telling them we won't allow them to confiscate our homes? They won't stop until they've taken everything it took us a lifetime to earn.
My sympathies go out to you. It looks like you live in NH? (Isn't your state motto "Live free or die"?)

Long ago I had considered a move to NH (Keene area) before I found out your outrageous property taxes (no sales tax, who cares ). I cannot imagine paying that much in taxes no matter how nice the property. That's over $1000K a month!!! Does NH have property tax reduction for seniors???

Old 12-21-2010, 10:32 PM

12,337 posts, read 7,788,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post

OMG! Property tax of $13,600? That is outrageous.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:20 PM

11,282 posts, read 18,976,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
OMG! Property tax of $13,600? That is outrageous.
Yes, and highly possible (probable) right there in TX !!. Mine are $12k in WA and my investigation of TX investment properties showed that much of desirable TX was considerably higher than my WA property tax nightmare. Similar in parts of SD (another no income tax state). WY and AK are better due to their access to energy $$.

Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 AM

5,279 posts, read 6,159,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Yes, and highly possible (probable) right there in TX !!. Mine are $12k in WA and my investigation of TX investment properties showed that much of desirable TX was considerably higher than my WA property tax nightmare. Similar in parts of SD (another no income tax state). WY and AK are better due to their access to energy $$.
My wife and I briefly considered Texas and did some house-hunting outside of Austin as well as San Antonio. I noted that the property tax rate was roughly 3%, which was triple what he had been paying in Maryland. That's one of the reasons I like Nevada so much. Even though it, like Texas has no income tax, Nevada's property taxes also are low (~1%).

Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM

6,757 posts, read 7,497,172 times
Property taxes is the main reason we headed to TN. I am a Jersey girl, but my kids/grandkids are in Rhode Island. Neither state is conducive to living on retirement income. Property taxes. Outrageous these days. So we found a state with reasonable taxes and temperatures we can live with. No income taxes was a plus.

Old 12-23-2010, 12:29 AM

21,882 posts, read 28,716,100 times
Assuming no mortgage / no rent; there are many areas where property taxes for a home and 50-acres are less than $100/month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement