U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 06:45 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,257,511 times

Advertisements

I'm glad you brought up the subject of our parents generation jgussler. Well what has changed is the prices of homes. Back in my parents generation several people had a vacation home or a second home.

It's still possible to have 2 homes but only if you live in inexpensive places. That is unless you are rich. I was considering a move to somewhere less expensive then doing the snowbird thing.

Right now I am still undecided. I just want to explore all the possibilities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:48 PM

5,643 posts, read 17,340,697 times
We know someone who had a second home in FL and he gave it up, it costed more to maintain that one than his permanent home in IL.

IF we are able to retire - (health and finances willing - my Mom died at age 60 and never retired - so this IS in the back of my mind constantly...)

We are planning on pulling our trailer (we already own it) to somewhere south after thanksgiving every year and not coming back to IL til it's warm. Different place every year possibly.

We may or may not be living in IL - depending on what our property taxes look like in 20 years.

There are snowbird friendly communities esp. for the RV crowd. My grand uncle used to rent a place every winter in cocoa beach FL to get out of IL. So perhaps seasonal renting is an option.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:09 PM

450 posts, read 1,841,537 times
Smile Grand Lake, Oklahoma/Toldeo Bend Louisiana/East Texas.

You are right about our parent's generation. 2 places were actually affordable in the old days. I knew folks who did Minnesota in the Summer/Fall and were in Brownsville, TX after Christmas. But it is really too expensive now. I love Oklahoma, but I find that it can get cold there, too. So I have investigated East Texas/Louisiana. It is rather cheap to live there in the Piney woods. And it is much warmer. My dream would be a place there and in Oklahoma. But I am afraid I will have to settle on one or the other. I plan to do Oklahoma first--will retire in a few years and am now in Florida and can't wait to get outta here. If it is too cold, I will move down to Toledo Bend lake in the Piney woods. But North Carolina/Florida--forget it. Too expensive.

Old 07-16-2010, 06:26 PM

3 posts, read 7,575 times
Newbie here living in SE WI going on 58 and looking to retire at 62 if possible....

Well, its been 3 years since the last post and I took note on the subject of home prices, which have gone down during this time. Yes, I know people have lost their jobs and some their homes (I have not had much gainful employment since I was 50, myself).

All in all of all the info/boards I've read now on the subject of SnowBirding it would make more sense for us to drive to our destination - a rental condo if at all possible.

Thanx for letting me voice my situation here

Old 07-16-2010, 08:58 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,634,837 times
park model MH's are not very expensive and space rentals in east valley Az or lower texas still not highly expensive~ my second home in a MH park in Colorado isn't that bad either! Figure I'm spending less on both of my snowbird style homes than what most people are paying on the mortgage of their first home. my home insurance on BOTH places is under $1000 per year. A lot depends on what kind housing style you feel you require~ I'm happy but I've seen others with their nose in the air over my ( uh! substandard housing) But I prefer to being able to go around in shirtsleeves without being uncomfortable outside yearround!

Old 07-17-2010, 01:22 AM

51 posts, read 178,820 times
Snowbirds come in all shapes and sizes - houses / condos / apartments / RVs / etc.

We maintain two homes, one in Northern Nevada and the other in Southern California. We go from the mountains to the desert, it's our version of a perpetual summer. We golf all year round.

The desert house (in the Coachella Valley) community is probably about 75% snowbirds. They live everywhere from Ore / Wash, Western Canada, clear over to Minnesota and Wisconsin. Most of them drive in, some fly.

Nearly everyone keeps at least one vehicle at each house. Nearly everyone has low maintenance yards. Most of the utility companies (cable TV, garbage) will allow you to shut off service for up to 6 months a year. Our phone is Vonage so we take it with us and have the same phone number no matter where we are. We have a service that checks on our house 3 times a month, runs water through all the faucets, checks security, etc. It's fairly inexpensive at $15 a visit. We pay nearly all our bills online. We use the USPS Premium Forwarding Service to get our mail to us.

If you're considering it the best advice I could give you is to rent / lease a place in the area, then go there and meet as many other snowbirds as you can. They've already figured all the basics out, learn from them. And, you get to see if you like living in the area.

Old 07-20-2010, 09:12 PM

151 posts, read 469,070 times
We have just joined the “snowbird crowd” after living on the West Coast (Central CA) for many years. We left the central coast of California due to our children getting jobs in Atlanta and Baltimore on the East Coast, costs in CA, and the really the weather on the coast of central CA was just too cool/Pacific too cold to really enjoy the beach most of the time.

We bought a small (but nice) condo in Virginia Beach, VA within blocks of the Atlantic, near the Boardwalk, and other attractions. We really love the beaches here, warm ocean water and sunny hot days from May to October, so we can hang out in flip-flops and shorts most of the time. The mountains of NC/VA are close if we feel the need for a change of coastal scenery, and Washington DC is a fun day trip with all the history. Comes the cool season, be bought a modest RV and we have fun moving with the season. Around November or so we head down to Charleston/Savannah, Panama City, New Orleans, LA and stay a few weeks and explore all the history of these subtropical cities and enjoy the warm weather and sunshine. We mix that with a few trips to see the kids. By early December we’re somewhere in south Florida at an RV park. We stay until early March or so. We take little trips to the Bahamas or the Florida Keys for a weekend here and there while we’re down in south Florida. We head back up to VA beach around April. So we see just about zero winter/cold/snow.

It’s amazing to park your RV under a coconut palm in February on a 85 F day in the Florida Keys…turn on the TV and see a blizzard raging in Chicago, a cold 50F rain pouring down in Northern California, and 20 F wind chills in Boston. I could get used to this - lol.

Old 07-22-2010, 10:56 AM

201 posts, read 189,652 times
Hi,
Just wondering. Has anyone tried the snowbird route with pets; either dogs or cats. Did you just move them with you and how did you do this? Thanks

Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM

5,827 posts, read 13,350,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSMUSIC View Post
Hi,
Just wondering. Has anyone tried the snowbird route with pets; either dogs or cats. Did you just move them with you and how did you do this? Thanks
We are not "official snowbirders" as we usually head south for about a month and a half in the winter in our RV. We have a golden retriever (2 years old) who is a great traveler in the RV. We have found most RVers have animals. We considered buying a winter house, but in all honesty, we still like the snow and cold weather. As the OP stated they travel around for a couple of months, which is something many RV Snowbirds do, rather than stay in one place. Which is one of the reasons we didn't buy a second home, along with being bothered with maintaining it and leaving it vacant for six months.

Old 07-22-2010, 04:20 PM

72,220 posts, read 72,173,749 times
our plan is to use our pa home as a base from april to nov and then rent someplace different , furnished , every year down south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or