U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 06:50 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,630,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffwltrs View Post
I am going to be living 7 months in Florida and 5 months in Ohio! I amtrying to estimate how much my electricity and/or gas bills would be in each state. Any ideas?
I winter in fl. for 4 months and leave my elect. on and it cost abot 25-35 a month with the a/c set at 85.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 04:19 PM

8,266 posts, read 10,744,358 times
Living in Phoenix we see our share of snowbirds. Some people disparage but I certainly recognize their value to the local economy and community and like seeing them around in our townhome complex it is almost like our equivalent of geese migration indication weather changing. The couple from Wisconsin is back in unit #42, hey that means good weather is coming.

What I've always wondered is... why do they favor Mercury Grand Maruis so much? Hardly any other demographic buys that car but this time of year there are so many more of them, what is it about snowbirds (or perhaps it is just the age group in general) that makes this car so attractive? Why so often in light blue would be another question.

Old 12-30-2010, 05:31 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,357,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
L
What I've always wondered is... why do they favor Mercury Grand Maruis so much? Hardly any other demographic buys that car but this time of year there are so many more of them, what is it about snowbirds (or perhaps it is just the age group in general) that makes this car so attractive? Why so often in light blue would be another question.
When I told my brother that we bought a condo in Florida, he said "That's wonderful! When do you get your Mercury?"

Old 07-31-2019, 07:33 AM

27 posts, read 6,412 times
I figured searching the forum there would be something more recent but rather than create a new topic I thought I would put my questions here despite it being a 12 yr old topic...

My wife and I are considering being snowbirds in retirement, a summer home in WI or MN (either side of the Mississippi river between Lacrosse WI and Lake City MN) and possibly a winter home/legal residence on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

We currently live in Illinois, no chance we stay here--plan to sell the house at retirement, we will have 15-16 years in the house when it will go on the market and we aren't working on paying it off early, no telling what it's worth will be then but the plan is to use whatever money we do make to put directly in to our WI/MN home. Based on our current account balances and what equity we hope to get out of our current house we should easily be able to pay cash for one of the houses (maybe both). I know we will still have to pay for property taxes, insurance, utilities, upkeep etc but what other hidden expenses are there to having 2 homes (do you have a caretaker or property manager or something when you are away)? My wife and I both have 401K's, Pensions, Roth IRAs and will get SS eventually.

We fully intend to visit different places in Texas before retirement in the winter to figure out what specific location works for us. We already know the area in WI/MN pretty well due to my wife's family being there and we are there multiple times a year (just a 4 hour drive).

Of those current or former snowbirds, any regrets? Anything you didn't consider before you took the plunge that you wish you had known? Any advice you can offer would be great.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:47 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,840,373 times
We owned 2 condos, one North, and one South, did it for 5 years, stayed in FL for 6.5 months, then headed North, got tired of the back and forth, sold up North, moved to FL yearlong...biggest mistake of my life.
In my opinion, Florida always was and always will be a Snowbirds playground.YMMV.

Old 07-31-2019, 07:53 AM

885 posts, read 200,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I am wondering how it would work out to be a snowbird. Snowbirding is when you live in a place that is cold during winter, so you go south for the winter. I've seen it called sunbirding too.

Does anyone do this?

I am trying to think how it would be done. Would you own 2 homes or just find a furnished place to rent? You wouldn't want to move your furniture everytime you went south so there must be a way to do this.
Why not just live in a nicer climate (assuming there are no kids or grand kids in which case being near to them would be a higher priority)?

Old 07-31-2019, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
We owned 2 condos, one North, and one South, did it for 5 years, stayed in FL for 6.5 months, then headed North, got tired of the back and forth, sold up North, moved to FL yearlong...biggest mistake of my life.
In my opinion, Florida always was and always will be a Snowbirds playground.YMMV.
Did you maintain legal residence in Florida while being snowbirds? Did it pose any problems as far as proving residence for tax purposes?

Why was it a mistake?

Old 07-31-2019, 08:31 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,840,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
Did you maintain legal residence in Florida while being snowbirds? Did it pose any problems as far as proving residence for tax purposes?

Why was it a mistake?
We were legal residents of Florida, stayed 6.5 months, got homestead exemption, didnít pay state income tax...
The mistake was staying yearlong, starting in May the H,H, and Dewpoint are unbearable. JMO.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:52 AM

69 posts, read 16,814 times
Quote:
We were legal residents of Florida, stayed 6.5 months, got homestead exemption, didnít pay state income tax...
The mistake was staying yearlong, starting in May the H,H, and Dewpoint are unbearable. JMO.
I've been thinking about this very example. Living in Florida, but staying somewhere in Maine June-sept. I figure the money I save in income tax will be eaten up staying in Maine. I think for us, it's better to just move where you like, and make it work. Not worry about income tax savings. (Unless you plan to live there year round)

Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Did you get any issues from either state about proving residence? What kind of proof did they require?

I can understand the issue with the summer months in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or