U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 09:18 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,843,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingisfree View Post
Did you get any issues from either state about proving residence? What kind of proof did they require?

I can understand the issue with the summer months in Florida.
We didn't have to prove a thing, to anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 09:37 AM

29 posts, read 6,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
We didn't have to prove a thing, to anyone.
That's great, I had read an article recently saying some states make it difficult come tax time.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:23 AM

4,019 posts, read 2,928,396 times
Quote:
That's great, I had read an article recently saying some states make it difficult come tax time.
We moved to NC about 25 years go. Right after we moved, we got NC driver's license and just had to have a lease or utility bill showing the address. From there, DL was fine for everything else until about 20 years later when we enrolled a child in a state university. Then we had to provide all sorts of info for a surprisingly deep check. NC bases state taxes on federal.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:53 AM

1,223 posts, read 245,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReachTheBeach View Post
We moved to NC about 25 years go. Right after we moved, we got NC driver's license and just had to have a lease or utility bill showing the address. From there, DL was fine for everything else until about 20 years later when we enrolled a child in a state university. Then we had to provide all sorts of info for a surprisingly deep check. NC bases state taxes on federal.
Since 9/11 things have changed big time. I just did my SC DL/vehicle registration and had to bring a folder full of info including my birth certificate. Even though my TX license showed that yellow star for RealID I had to jump through all the hoops again for SC.

And you know what differentiates a regular DL from a RealID DL ? One additional piece of mail with my address on it. One piece of mail and you get a regular DL; two pieces of mail and you get a RealID DL.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:14 PM

5,381 posts, read 3,089,077 times
We have known many snowbirds since we came to Florida in 1972. Very common is for them to tire of maintaining 2 homes and they end up selling the one where they keep the snow shovel.

Sunbirds live here all year round.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:37 AM

29 posts, read 6,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
We have known many snowbirds since we came to Florida in 1972. Very common is for them to tire of maintaining 2 homes and they end up selling the one where they keep the snow shovel.
That makes sense and I could see doing that eventually too in my later retirement years when the prospect of doing 2 cross country road trips every year is not appealing (or simply not doable at all).

Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 AM

8,957 posts, read 7,799,932 times
We enjoyed it very much. Winters in AZ, summer in Wi/north. We lived full time in an RV. Never had too much cold or heat. We had to give it up for health reasons.

Old 08-03-2019, 08:34 AM

14,319 posts, read 24,116,514 times
Quote:
Did you get any issues from either state about proving residence? What kind of proof did they require?

I can understand the issue with the summer months in Florida.

It is incumbent on YOU to establish residency in the state that you are going to move to. Some of the factors include:

1) Where you own property.
2) Where you actually live - how many months per year.
3) Where you vote
4) Where you register your vehicles.

Every state has its own rules. Here are the rules for the state of Arizona.
https://azdor.gov/sites/default/file...92_itp92-1.pdf

The people who have problems are the ones who maintain a foot in bth states. When we relocated from Illinois to Arizona, we made sure that no over-aggressive tax auditor could assert that we were still residents of Illinois.

From my research, it seems that CA, CT, and NY seem to be most aggressive at attacking the residency of former residents.

YMMV.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:39 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,985,707 times
Quote:
California and New York are the two prime offenders. They will aggressively pursue affluent people and there has been countless articles/news stories about this.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:03 PM

304 posts, read 146,825 times
We currently live in north-central WI. Not retired yet but after looking at 5th wheels I told DH I could be persuaded to sell the house and get a 5th wheel and a vehicle to tow it. Winter where it is warmer. We own 40 acres of farm land in WI. So in the summer park on the land. I don't know if we would ever really do it but it brings some good discussions.
My brother and his wife will retire in 3 years. Sell the house in Chicago. They own a condo in Florida and have a farm in WI. Plans are for Florida for about 8-9 months and 3-4 spring/summer months in Wisconsin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or