U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,693,372 times

Advertisements

I am wondering how it would work out to be a snowbird. Snowbirding is when you live in a place that is cold during winter, so you go south for the winter. I've seen it called sunbirding too.

Does anyone do this?

I am trying to think how it would be done. Would you own 2 homes or just find a furnished place to rent? You wouldn't want to move your furniture everytime you went south so there must be a way to do this.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 PM

4,049 posts, read 13,193,073 times
The ones I know have multiple furnished homes or use an RV.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:33 PM

2,796 posts, read 5,787,119 times
I knew one couple who owned a cabin in Alaska and a mobile home on Pine Island in Fl. They drive the route twice a year. Summer in AK and winter in Fl.

I had neighbors who lived in Indiana and then rented a place in Florida during the winter. You pay more for the "season" but really lower the costs over buying. There are a lot of furnished rentals in Florida just for the snowbirds.

Personally, it is too much work to do it with our pets and stuff.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:28 PM

723 posts, read 1,430,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
I am wondering how it would work out to be a snowbird. Snowbirding is when you live in a place that is cold during winter, so you go south for the winter. I've seen it called sunbirding too.

Does anyone do this?

I am trying to think how it would be done. Would you own 2 homes or just find a furnished place to rent? You wouldn't want to move your furniture everytime you went south so there must be a way to do this.
Some people own two condos. Both are furnished completely. Then they just drive from one home to the other when the time is right. By having condos, they don't have to worry about yardwork, shoveling snow, or outside maintenance while they are away.

I don't want to do this, personally. I don't even have a desire to travel! Each to his/her own.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:36 PM

1,849 posts, read 4,693,372 times
Thanks for the suggestions. One place I was considering is okay but would get some cold and snow during winter. I was thinking about how to do this snowbirding.
This'll give me some ideas to research. I kind of like the idea of a condo for the winter retreat.

Old 07-11-2007, 11:43 PM

740 posts, read 1,188,859 times
I live in Anchorage Ak, and will be heading down to North Carolina for about 7 months out of the year. I will be living out of a travel trailer. If you enjoy rving, that is probably the best way to go for snowbirding. My plans are to travel up here in Anchorage for our beautiful summers and travel to N. Carolina for the rest of the year. Best of both worlds. I am heading out next month.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:38 PM

5,601 posts, read 12,545,451 times
I consider myself a snowbird. My domicile is officially in the desert SW where I have a "stick house." I then have a motorhome and spend the summer months in the NW.

It's sort of like having two houses but one I have the option of moving to different places if I wish. It's a pretty interesting lifestyle.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:22 PM

4,611 posts, read 7,901,208 times
I would love to have 2 homes. But like someone else said, it just would be too difficult at this time with all of our pets. Maybe in the future we can do it.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:38 AM

2,914 posts, read 7,233,562 times
Snowbirds are very common in upstate NY. Real estate is inexpensive in the rural towns and cities and if you're a senior you get a RE tax break, vets get an addl one, and low income seniors even more.

Most from here own their own second houses in the less expensive, and less trendy, areas of Fla that they've had forever. A few rent for shorter periods and some own trailers. Six months here, six there.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:01 PM

17,895 posts, read 22,600,907 times
My folks were snowbirds. At first, they had a motorhome. The originate in South Dakota. But come winter, they'd take off and go South for the winter. The first few years they tried several different places. Each year a different place to kind of check humidity, temps, storm patterns, etc. Pretty soon they found themselves going to the same place every year. So they sold the motorhome and bought a park model and set it up semi permanently.

In that particular park, if the unit was unoccupied, the rent was considerably cheaper. That way you could keep your space and not be paying for water and sewer costs.

So for several years, they would summer in South Dakota in their nice home in the Black Hills, and then come October, you'd find them in Apachee Junction Arizona in their Park model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement