Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 02:52 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I can't understand why any bank would lend a 75 year old tons of money for a mortgage on a home...30 years...yeah right. My neighbor took out a $263,000 note at 67 when first moving here, then took out a $100,000 dollar equity loan at the peak of the housing market. Does anyone in their right mind think she is going to pay it back? Her kids will run for the hills.
Between their probable down payment/equity there will probably be enough along with the appreciation to pay the bill. Also non beneficiary investments will be used to settle debt. They probably have a history of good credit and responsibility. We bought our second place at age 62 and were considered top candidates. If not paid for the mortgage company knows that between the down payment and market prices and credit history they are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 03:44 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
I can't understand why any bank would lend a 75 year old tons of money for a mortgage on a home...30 years...yeah right. My neighbor took out a $263,000 note at 67 when first moving here, then took out a $100,000 dollar equity loan at the peak of the housing market. Does anyone in their right mind think she is going to pay it back? Her kids will run for the hills.
My best guess....A lender would want a hefty down payment at that age (maybe as much as 50%), and some kind of collateral. The lender would do a careful appraisal and would only loan in a solidly upscale community with the home in excellent shape. These items must be paid back through the estate left. If there is no cash left, the lender reclaims the home. The equity loan? I don't know what happens if there is no cash left in the estate. Probably a lien on the estate that might include jewelry and other valuables.

Old 08-12-2013, 03:59 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
My best guess....A lender would want a hefty down payment at that age (maybe as much as 50%), and some kind of collateral. The lender would do a careful appraisal and would only loan in a solidly upscale community with the home in excellent shape. These items must be paid back through the estate left. If there is no cash left, the lender reclaims the home. The equity loan? I don't know what happens if there is no cash left in the estate. Probably a lien on the estate that might include jewelry and other valuables.
If the buyer is a veteran in good standing (honorable discharge), a VA loan requires no down payment and is guaranteed by the VA. Because of that it also requires no mortgage protection insurance. While credit does matter for getting the loan, the rates are set by the VA and age doesn't mater.

Our current loan is a VA and we just began the process of refinancing the loan through the VA at less than half the interest rate of our current loan which was quite competitive when we bought the house four years ago. The loan will outlive us but we couldn't care less. Principle will be paid down so much faster that everyone - the VA, the lender and our heirs - will benefit.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:50 PM

1,482 posts, read 1,378,896 times
Quote:

I asked my BIL this a while ago, he is a loan officer. He said that the law says they can't discriminate. In many cases, the house is the only asset in the estate.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:08 PM

Please remember that each year more Americans lose their jobs than lose their pensions. So which is the more reliable income stream?

Old 08-12-2013, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Please remember that each year more Americans lose their jobs than lose their pensions. So which is the more reliable income stream?
Excellent point. I wonder if it also takes into consideration all those who have or will become under-employed due to Obamacare and other factors.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Excellent point. I wonder if it also takes into consideration all those who have or will become under-employed due to Obamacare and other factors.
From what I remember that you have shared you and the wife are excellent mortgage candidates. Solid income stream, low debt, assets and most importantly a solid history of personal financial responsibility. I use to say this a lot a few years ago. Going into retirement one of your most valuable assets is your credit history.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:26 PM

Quote:
My guess is that for most folks under a certain age that their education and in demand skill level will dictate their financial future.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
From what I remember that you have shared you and the wife are excellent mortgage candidates. Solid income stream, low debt, assets and most importantly a solid history of personal financial responsibility. I use to say this a lot a few years ago. Going into retirement one of your most valuable assets is your credit history.
Refinancing with another VA loan at less than half our current interest rate as we speak. I really think this will be our last hurrah!

Yeah! Anymore, credit ratings seem to rule lives. But that's a whole other subject!

Old 08-12-2013, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Refinancing with another VA loan at less than half our current interest rate as we speak. I really think this will be our last hurrah!
I really learned the lesson when we got our second place three years ago and I asked our agent and the selling agent if they thought there might be a problem with loan approval because we were 62. They started laughing. We went from signing to buy to settlement in less than thirty days at a rate below market rates and what we locked in with. The other old folks went quickly also and went with the same regional bank etc etc.

Last edited by TuborgP; 08-12-2013 at 05:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement