Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:47 PM

6 posts, read 19,926 times

Advertisements

A friend of the family served time over 38 years ago. Has been out since then working a 9-5 job in Miami, Florida. Cuban native. is now 72 years old and would like to retire. Was told by "someone" that he will not be eligible for retirement because he had committed a federal crime (drug trafficking) over 38 years ago.

Since being out has never had any more incidents. Please advise if he can or cannot apply for his social security retirement benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 10:53 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,538,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellink View Post
A friend of the family served time over 38 years ago. Has been out since then working a 9-5 job in Miami, Florida. Cuban native. is now 72 years old and would like to retire. Was told by "someone" that he will not be eligible for retirement because he had committed a federal crime (drug trafficking) over 38 years ago.

Since being out has never had any more incidents. Please advise if he can or cannot apply for his social security retirement benefits.
I don't believe that to be true.
If he was paying taxes he should by all means be elgible.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:55 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,831,193 times
I don't believe any of us work for social security so we can't tell. He should go ahead and apply anyway at his age. Does he have a S.S. card and does he get a statement every year?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:19 AM
_yb

1,120 posts, read 5,271,281 times
From what I have heard many convicts are collecting SS while sitting in the pen. If he is a legal citizen he might as well apply and see what happens. He should have been getting a statement of benifits a few months prior to his b-day every year.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:41 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,098,242 times
the money that was taken from his salary for Social Security is HIS money. He will get it back.

Is he getting Medicare? He should have been every since he was 65. He has to apply for that too.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:40 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,867,325 times
I"ve heard of something called the fleeing felon rule. Basically, if SS determines you're a fugitive on the run, have violated probation after being convicted, etc that they will not pay your ss benefits. They also have the option of making you return payments that you've already received. I think the whole idea behind it was that the government wasn't going to finance a felon's fleeing prosecution. Of course, you also have the option of appealing. Maybe this is what "someone" was talking about?? That's all I've heard about.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:43 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,044,543 times
I suggest he give the SS office a call; state his case and get the scoop directly rather than guess. I found the SS people friendly, helpful and not intimidating!

Good luck to him!!

Old 07-16-2007, 02:12 PM

504 posts, read 1,760,131 times
I agree he should be getting statements every year around his birthday that tells him what he would receive if he retires at 62, 65 or waits. The statements also tell him what he might get if he was disabled before he retired.
I am assuming he has filed his taxes every year and ample social security taxes have been taken out weekly.
Stop paying attention to someone, often immigrants listen to someone because they are afraid of government and often do not understand.
Go to the social security office with social security card, green card, or citizens papers, and a state Id , or drivers licence and just to be on the safe side someone that speaks English if he needs a translator, probably won't, but better to be looking at it than looking for it.
Good luck to him and Happy retirement.

Old 07-21-2007, 07:47 PM

354 posts, read 322,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travellink View Post

No, it is not true an d whomever told you that doesn't know their butt from a hole in the ground. Hell, most states, not all but most, have even gotten to the point of giving voting rights back to people who are ex-felons. If one has paid into SS then one is able to collect, as long as they are not in prison somewhere. I know this for a fact because I also know someone who is an ex-felon. They vote and collect disability because of a cancer problem they have.

Old 07-21-2007, 08:36 PM

434 posts, read 1,649,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
the money that was taken from his salary for Social Security is HIS money. He will get it back.
That is incorrect. You do not get back in Social Security the amount you paid in. The money you pay in goes towards people currently on Social Security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement