Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 07:30 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times

Advertisements

Well, I would prefer not to work part time but what the heck? It still beats the stuffings out of full time. I won't have to work at a job where I have to think. I am tired of thinking. My brain is retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:22 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,372,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Ain't it great!

I don't think I could fit a p/t job into my life right now even if I wanted to!

And I definitely don't want to!
I was thinking of getting a part time job so I could get some rest I haven't ever been as busy as I am since I retired,the inlaws all think I should do it since I am retired, like I have nothing else to do

Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,664,092 times
I am also working, some. Because of SS I'm limited to 140 hours a year, so I can be picky. I've resisted quite a bit because of calls from old clients I don't want to work with again, ever, but there are some I still help. I'm going to one that I don't want to work for Wednesday , but he has a particularly wicked email problem (of his own making) that will throw anyone that hasn't had to work through it.

A few hundred dollars in the "whatever" fund will be a nice thing.

The article was interesting, annoying, whiny, and negative, but interesting.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:52 AM

18,702 posts, read 33,355,095 times
I hope/expect to work on-call at my current full-time hospital job. I have no big travel plans, in fact, I'd be best off traveling now, while I'm making good money and have a total of five-some weeks vacation every year. If I'm going to be home, I'd love to make some walking-around money in my earlier retirement.
I also would consider a 16-hour job at my current job, but that might not be available. Besides the lessened hours, I think it would be a lot easier going to my job knowing I can walk off if I want to, and don't have to come back five nights a week.
Also, 1000 hours at that job a year is another payment into their pension plan, and health insurance is pro-rated down to 16 hours a week. A lot of retired people pick up hours. One nurse I know is a very very active woman in her late 70s- she picks up shifts to support her many long-distance travels, with Habitat for Humanity, a church group, a folk-dancing tour group. She is a real inspiration to me for retirement life.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:20 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,002,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I hope/expect to work on-call at my current full-time hospital job. I have no big travel plans, in fact, I'd be best off traveling now, while I'm making good money and have a total of five-some weeks vacation every year.
Being able to travel whenever I wanted and for however long I wanted was one of the main reasons that I retired early. Although I, to, received 5 weeks of vacation a year, I was usually limited to 2-3 weeks at a time and was at the mercy of the office's priorities. There were certain times of the year when it was impossible to take off due to scheduled meetings and associated activities.

I rather enjoy having 52 weeks of vacation instead.

In fact, I'm leaving Sunday for a 30-day cruise from L.A. to Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, around Cape Horn, and then ending near Sao Paulo, Brazil. And then to unwind from the cruise, my wife and I will fly to Rio to spend a week on the beach.

We'll be able to use that time relaxing in the sun to plan our next "vacation" from the dull, dreary, drudgery that is everyday life in Las Vegas.

Ahhhh retirement.....

Old 01-11-2011, 09:32 AM

30,474 posts, read 16,182,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Being able to travel whenever I wanted and for however long I wanted was one of the main reasons that I retired early. Although I, to, received 5 weeks of vacation a year, I was usually limited to 2-3 weeks at a time and was at the mercy of the office's priorities. There were certain times of the year when it was impossible to take off due to scheduled meetings and associated activities.

I rather enjoy having 52 weeks of vacation instead.

In fact, I'm leaving Sunday for a 30-day cruise from L.A. to Mexico, Costa Rica, Peru, Uruguay, Argentina, Chile, around Cape Horn, and then ending near Sao Paulo, Brazil. And then to unwind from the cruise, my wife and I will fly to Rio to spend a week on the beach.

We'll be able to use that time relaxing in the sun to plan our next "vacation" from the dull, dreary, drudgery that is everyday life in Las Vegas.

Ahhhh retirement.....
there was a time I'd have envied your travel plans but not now. Not that I've seen everything/been every where. I just want to stay home and explore the local hiking trails, ghost towns, maybe some old cemetaries....... yea, I know, sounds boring. But I like boring!

Old 01-11-2011, 10:10 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,589,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I just want to stay home and explore the local hiking trails, ghost towns, maybe some old cemetaries....... yea, I know, sounds boring. But I like boring!
It doesn't sound boring; it sounds great. I love local history. I love to read about it, then find the actual places and see for myself. We don't all need to have a prepackaged tour. I wonder how many of the people who take those tours even bother to read about the places first.

Sometimes, I'll take a trip. A few years ago, I was so intrigued by Louis L'Amour's Haunted Mesa that I made the trip to Blanding, Utah and explored from there. I didn't get into the other world described in his novel, but had a lot of fun. Coming back, I drove over to Great Basin National Park, then spent the night at the Hotel Nevada in Ely. That's a great spot that welcomes dogs. The only problem with the hotel is the shower which can go from just right to cold to scalding. But I can jump.

An unusual Louis L'Amour novel

Amazon.com: The Haunted Mesa (9780553270228): Louis L'Amour: Books

Old 01-11-2011, 11:17 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,002,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
there was a time I'd have envied your travel plans but not now. Not that I've seen everything/been every where. I just want to stay home and explore the local hiking trails, ghost towns, maybe some old cemetaries....... yea, I know, sounds boring. But I like boring!
Not boring at all. In fact, my wife and I go hiking locally in Red Rock Canyon, which is about 20 minutes from our house, and the Valley of Fire, which is about an hour away.

Red Rock Canyon Las Vegas Nevada - VEGAS.com

Valley of Fire State Park, Nevada - DesertUSA

We also have quite a few ghost towns and mining towns nearby, although we've only gone to one so far.

Ghost Towns - Near Las Vegas

People are sometimes surprised at what Vegas has to offer once you get away from the Strip.

Old 01-11-2011, 12:13 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,425,824 times
Well for me a part time job is a necessary evil. I need the $$. But I intend to make it one I want to get up and go to as opposed to my previous jobs where I would have preferred to stay in bed every morning.

Travel sound wonderful but so does staying home and "counting flowers on the wall."

Old 01-11-2011, 05:43 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,035,126 times
glad I got rid of that travel bug while I was young and healthy and didn't mind staying in youth hostels all over the world. Now I've got all the money in the world but health is compromised and travel is such a pain in the arse. Who needs it!!!!
I like my travels with Rudy Maxa now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement