Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 03:52 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times

Advertisements

No COLA last year from either my pension plan or Social Security. No COLA this year from SS and I don't expect one from the pension because they're based upon the CPI. But that hasn't stopped healthcare, gasoline, some foods and other prices to rise so in effect, the lack of COLAs are tantamount to takeaways. But no major complaints, yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2016, 11:58 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,898,193 times
Yes, I am aware that I am reviving an old thread - five years old to be exact. First, it would be interesting to see whether other states have adopted the practice in the intervening years. And second, I wanted to state that California teachers' pensions have an automatic 2% per year, non compounded COLA increase which is not tied to any cost of living index. We get it even if the cost of living has gone down! Of course if the cost of living has gone up 8% in a given year, we still get the 2%. Since I retired almost 11 years ago there has not been very much inflation and I am ahead.

However, these automatic 2% yearly increases could be done away with by the state legislature, unlike the basic pension itself, which has been held to be a contractual obligation on the part of the state and therefore cannot be reduced or eliminated by legislative action. I may live to see the elimination or the modification of the automatic COLA, but I will be fine no matter what they do to it.

Old 03-15-2016, 10:16 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Not sure everyone realizes that some public pensions have a negative COLA adjustment. If the basis of how your COLA is calculated decreases your pension is suppose to also since it includes a COLA from previous years. At least one state that does it that way deferred the decrease to the up coming year and was going to subtract it from any increase. Oooops what if the increase is less than the decrease or none at all? With all the strain on state budgets will they follow through with their guidelines and reduce the pension? Plan for it!
The COLA in our California State (not teachers) pensions and COLAs are a matter of a binding contract so while not munificent (not less than 2% compounded) they're constant. One year (see above 2011 post) I received no COLA due to a quirk in their formula but my wife did. The following year she received 2% and I received 4.7%. We retired in different years which made a difference and have received the same percentage every year since. No worries here! Social Security, on the other hand, not so much as shown this year. Still, no worries that it's going to evaporate in our lifetimes.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 03-15-2016 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement