Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 11:28 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,567,071 times

Advertisements

Two New Jersey seniors may soon find themselves in court over ... unauthorized bird-feeding. Alfred and Annette Rockefeller, 77 and 66, have received a summons to appear in court tomorrow over a feeder in their garden that has prompted complaints from neighbors; officials say it violates local rules. Feeding wildlife is generally banned, though enclosed, hanging feeders are allowed, the Record reports.

Senior Citizens Going to Court Over ... Bird Feeder - Feeder provides solace to homebound senior, but NJ neighbors complain
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 11:30 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,717,216 times
One of these days, I suppose my life's biggest worries will be of this magnitude.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:52 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,019,241 times
Yes, birds eat peanuts. Yes there are peanut feeders and peanut wreaths that you can use to feed them with and yes bird food and feeders and especially peanuts can in the right areas bring nature into your yard more than you might like. Yes those that join your grounds for feeding will also munch on your prized landscaping and make you wonder why you are feeding the birds. Having learned and experienced the above after moving to Maryland I retired a few years ago from having been an avid bird feeder for many a year. It also gets expensive when the darn invaders knock your feeders down in the dark of the night and drag them into the woods. So I can understand how everyone feels except the official who said birds don't eat peanuts. I hope he doesn't have to repeat that in court.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:53 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,803,123 times
Much to do about nothing in my opinion. If the neighbors think a hanging feeder will stop squirrels they are mistaken and deer will turn to flowers and such. If they want to feed deer planting will be a better choice.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,439,032 times
Oh my. A tempest in a teapot! Why don't the neighbors just chip in and find a different type of birdfeeder for the elderly, homebound gentleman? Maybe - a hummingbird feeder? Or build some marlin boxes for him?

And if deer are coming up to houses, that happens regardless of birdfeeders. I have that going on daily (2 x a day) at my home. They munch on my flowers, my foundation plants . . . I had to stop planting a veggie garden b/c of bunnies and deer. I fought them for 5 years and then decided - what the heck. Their habitat is dwindling and so they need some place to forage . . . guess my back yard is it.

The only solution to keep deer away is to build a fence they cannot traverse.

After the neighbors find some other types of birdfeeders to attract hummingbirds or build him some marlin boxes, they can then readily see that wildlife comes into the backyard regardless of such things as birdfeeders filled with peanuts.

Folks need to be a little more imaginative and less libelous. The man is homebound! Birds can bring a lot of joy to someone who spends time looking out a window.

Old 06-25-2013, 04:35 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,471,514 times
In Alaska everyone can be fined for not pulling all bird feeders, for not keeping the garbage cans securely locked up and a whole lot of other violations. Reason: Bears

In Indiana, my mother in law's apartment complex bans feeders to keep the squirrels and the Canadian Geese away. One squirrel tore out the screen on her neighbor's apartment door when the food did not "keep coming". It is a complex for the over 55 (most are way older) and slip and fall on droppings from geese is a concern.

I would bet the rules have always been there (as they are in my mom's lease) and someone felt the rules did not apply to them.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:57 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,173,566 times
Did you notice this sentence in the link?
" The Rockefellers received several warnings and rejected an offer of mediation with neighbors, the police chief says. "

It may not all be the neighbors fault that this issue couldn't be resolved without court.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,639,840 times
I find it very hard to imagine that there were NO deer or other wildlife in the neighborhood before the bird feeder was put up.

Do these neighbors think bird seed is more enticing to deer than their expensive plants?!?

rubbish

Old 06-25-2013, 07:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,065,663 times
I'm a person who loves bird feeders, and fully intend to keep the 4-5 I have. At the same time I have to admit that the bird food draws other critters. We've seen an increase in critters that eat the bird seed and also big critters like deer and bears--not sure if they're eating the seed or quite why they show up. (On the plus side, in a roundabout way it may also be why we've seen more bald eagles, since they like to feast on mice.) We've seen an increase in bird poop and birds flying into our windows since we put them up. For us it's not a problem, but I could see that in other living situations some people might object. Especially if they're afraid of bird flu. The guy refused the attempt at mediation? That's a shame. Guess it's not a surprise it went to court, then, even though it sounds ridiculous.

Old 06-25-2013, 10:35 AM

1,723 posts, read 4,094,660 times
Bluejays love peanuts. I put a few peanuts in the shell on my deck railing and they all come swooping down and fly away with them, leaving peanut shells which may or may not attract rodents in my neighbors yards.

I think it's silly to go to court over this too, but the birdfeeder owner refused mediation and that makes me think he's not going to be open to any other bird feeder suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement