Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 03:14 PM

10,807 posts, read 14,871,712 times

Advertisements

I have been flying since I was a young man so I want to keep healthy so I can continue to obtain an FAA third class medical. Small airplane, maybe a Cessna 150, and every other month or so my wife and I go somewhere. Maybe Key West for maybe one of the outer islands along the Texas coastline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2011, 04:38 PM

14,017 posts, read 20,844,390 times
Default This OP is THE retirement question

Beyond the financial question, that is. Provided one does not have money worries in retirement, the big issue for many people is finding meaningful activities. Just loafing around is fantastic for a while, but then when the need surfaces to have something better to do, at that point the question arises. For some people that transition is seamless because they already had hobbies, connections, and activities before retirement which were not work-related. For other people (at the other end of the sectrum) retirement is feared because they wonder what they will find to do so they keep working until they literally cannot work anymore.

Volunteer work may not be everybody's cup of tea, but if you can find the right match for your personality and talents it can be very rewarding. It is gratifying to be truly appreciated; some us had that while working and some of us did not. For some, that appreciation can come from helping others in some volunteer capacity.

For those who live alone (divorced, never married, widowed, etc.) it is especially important to have menaingful connections to other humans. Epidemeological studies have shown this time and time again (that people with meaningful connections live longer and stay in better health). That, along with regular exercise for the body and continued mental challenges for the mind, is the key to continued vibrant good health in retirement. Edited to add: reasonably healthy diet.

Old 01-18-2011, 04:47 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,121,351 times
long term goals? Get my garden railroad up and running~ teach a few more people how to enjoy playing bridge ~ not be around people with rigid goals that try to push me to do the same

Old 01-18-2011, 05:57 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,609 posts, read 57,588,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Now there's some food for thought! -- Sounds like you and others here have had strong, productive lives and are now (in retirement) ...just 'going with the flow'
Thx, but not exactly... More accurately being able to still be very productive while going 'unstressed' with the New 'Variable Flow' of life. (Regardless of the curve balls that life throws)

And it throws plenty. (I've got a dose of all these in the last month)
Spouse or self getting a terminal disease.
Elder Care
Long distance Moves
Adult kids (or their spouse) falling off the wagon.
Health and financial challenges.
Deaths in the family
Dear friends with critical needs that require you to spend weeks away from home; caring for them.

I don't have time for goals at the moment

(currently 1800 miles from home, doing unexpected elder care and moving a best friend who is bringing eldercare responsibilities with them. Elderly couple + a special needs 65 yr old sibling)

Quote:
I want to grow as a person. That means changes in directions I am not sure I can predict. ,,, I have minimal desire to achieve the esteem or recognition of others. I don't feel the need to create an enduring work of literature or some other lasting achievement. I have minimal interest in convincing others that my path is correct .. I don't feel the need to prove to others that my life matters or counts for something.
^^^ Very Good summary ^^^ I can relate to the phrase.... "that I may decrease so another can increase!"

Quote:
My primary goal is to enjoy each day of retirement.
I was helping a recent amputee today, he had a great attitude, I will be happy to be so confident in life that I don't matter, except to improve the life experience of others.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:00 PM

592 posts, read 1,808,508 times
The above poster says it for me. To sum up: if I've learned one thing in 8 years of retirement it's that the unexpected, and often not very welcome, is constantly happening. So, I keep my goals short term and "going with the flow" is my motto.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:02 AM

9,300 posts, read 16,593,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JudiPatooti View Post
The above poster says it for me. To sum up: if I've learned one thing in 8 years of retirement it's that the unexpected, and often not very welcome, is constantly happening. So, I keep my goals short term and "going with the flow" is my motto.
Agree with Judi, "everyday is a gift," go with the flow and enjoy each one. Plans are okay but like when we travel in the RV, if something of interest comes up, we head a different way. Life is a journey, not a destination.

Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,029,990 times
Maybe the flexibility is another gift!

I'm a little worried that when I actually retire, I won't feel like doing all the things I was dreaming about..

Old 01-20-2011, 02:36 PM

11,558 posts, read 12,001,016 times
Default Newly Retired

My last day of work as 12/31/10....yay! It's been a long time coming and I am enjoying every minute of it! After working for nearly 47 years, it is now my turn to set my schedule; and as I move forward, I will find my way and develop a routine that works for me.

As far as 'goals'...I set goals nearly a decade ago to get to this point; and my only goals now are to enjoy the rest of my life.

Healthwise, I have already seen my bp return to a healthy reading since the daily work-related stress has finally been eliminated. I have more time to prepare healthier meals, and to take walks or do work-outs at home.

I love the emotional and physical freedom and plan to enjoy the rest of the years that the good Lord has planned for me.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:12 PM

438 posts, read 1,112,593 times
Congratulations, katie45!

Old 01-20-2011, 04:22 PM

183 posts, read 351,326 times
Generally, be a writer. I don't care if I make money or become famous. It just something I love doing.

I want to finish rebuilding my Jeep. Had it for 5 years and it is nearly 100% disassembled. Finally started buying parts to put it back together. It's a lot of work, but it will be worth it.

Further out, DW and I want to sell our house and live in an RV. We want to see the country and live a simple life for a while. We both dream about it constantly, but we gotta finish raising the young'uns first.

Those are probably the big ones, but theirs about six gazillion others I may or may not get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement