Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 12:21 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times

Advertisements

Has anyone read Richard Florida's "Who's Your City". I've read a few reviews and curious to see what you thought. His basic premise is that where you live is one of the most important decisions you will make in your life (and different stages of your life), there are not states anymore but rather geographic mega-cities, i.e. Bos-Phila-DC corridor, Toyko, SF Bay area, LA-SD. Austin and Seattle are the pinnicle of creative types. These are places where the wealth is created and therefore people live and thrive. I gathere there are tests you can take as well, to see where you might fit in.

One comment I found interesting was that a 65 year older person is much more likely to move than a 45 year old person.

Anyone read this book and have any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 04:53 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Austin, overrated again? Most people seem to think it's the only non-redneck city in Texas. Not true. Dallas and Houston have many neighborhoods which are "more Austin than Austin". His jumping on that bandwagon tends to make me doubt his research.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:21 PM

438 posts, read 1,114,960 times
I haven't read the book but I've read reviews of it and what he says about the importance of place is true for me.

On his web site he lists 'best cities for retirees':
best cities : Who's Your City? by Richard Florida

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
I thought his list of cities was totally dumb. Minneapolis and Madison for empty nesters. What about those of us who like to go outside and be active most of the year (and don't ski).

And Miami for retired people? Habla espanol you gringos from Kansas? Robyn

Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Worcester, Mass. as one of his picks for young singles??
I don't think so.

New Haven, Conn.? Riddled with crime.

Bridgeport, Conn.? How did that get on there?

Boston, Mass. for families with children? Who can afford that unless you live in a ghetto (and none of those are affordable!)

Worcester again for families with children?? Where could he be getting his info?

All the places he lists for Empty Nesters had better have dough.

For retirees, Bridgeport shows up again. Hmmmmmn...maybe he's on something....(6,500 property crimes annual)

Worcester Mass. and Bridgeport Conn. show up so many times it's obvious he's being paid...

Old 01-06-2011, 01:29 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
yeah, I really had to question those cities in all the categories. Maybe he's using data from the 90's.

But I do agree that where one lives is among the top 3 decisions a person will make, at least it has been for me, both positively and negatively (who you marry, education are the other two).

guess I can skip reading his book...

Old 01-06-2011, 02:12 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,060,434 times
I think his bio (on his website) gives a little insight to the why of which towns and cities he chose. He strikes me as out of touch with mainstream, common, everyday America. Just saying.

Old 01-06-2011, 02:16 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
San Francisco for retirees? I love that city but couldn't even afford to be a street person living there.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:54 AM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Actually heard Richard Florida speak some years ago at an ICMA conference (city manager type thing). He focused very much on the idea that places that thrive and provide a high quality of life are places that are tolerant of all lifestyles. From the address (which was very interesting), I assumed he was likely gay but further reading of pieces he has written indicate that he is not. (no social commentary here - just sharing my assumptions). What he said made sense in many ways viewing it from a public administration point of view - no one wants to be in charge of/accountable for a struggling dying city.

With that said, I wouldn't write off reading a book by him. His ideas make you think and could certainly enable anyone to "create" a better place in the place they live or are considering. So many times it washes over me that I need to be a part of creating the sort of community i am seeking. It is likely easier in some places than others.

I've spent the last several months running through so many places on a "see 10 countries in 3 days" sort of trek and while exhausting, it has been really somewhat fun and eye-opening. I have seen some of the cutest towns which have totally turned my head and made me wistfully murmur "home". Then something occurs either there or closeby and I have to laugh saying "hmmmm, maybe not" (like seeing the one town that went under water in 1999 with Hurricane Floyd).

So for now, I continue to assume "my place" will be on the east coast/southern in nature - i wish someone would refer to the median temperature charts and adjust the winters and summers back to the norms because this freezing to death and getting iced in/snowed in in towns that "NEVER have snow" and baked in sweltering 95 degree days for three months in towns that only have a "few weeks of really hot, humid weather" is getting old. La nina/nino or whomever, shift, for goodness sake, shift!!!

So as for who's my city, it could be wilmington (NC), the Triad, the Triangle,WNC, Knoxville TN, Roanoke,Hampton Roads, , Sarasota FL. Geez, I need to narrow this down a bit....................

Old 01-07-2011, 04:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
I can see why more and more actaully move once they are retired ;if they can afford to. Alot of people live in several areas before retiring and of course many work where the wrok is or the opportuntiy . When they retire they can change that. Mnay tho live their entire lifes where they are raised and love it. Most I see leaving their hometowns basically do so because of changes . Different strokes for different folks really.Then of course there are the people lookig for greeenr pastures and often endup disppointed because they only vactioned there a shortime;really don't know what living there is like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement