Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 09:19 AM

737 posts, read 1,036,641 times

Advertisements

Facts:
  • Fewer than half of Americans have calculated how much they need to save for retirement.
  • In 2009, 13 percent of private industry workers with access to a defined contribution plan (such as a 401(k) plan) did not participate.
  • The average American spends 20 years in retirement.
Putting money away for retirement is a habit we can all live with. Remember… Saving Matters!
Top 10 Ways To Prepare For Retirement (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/10_ways_to_prepare.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 11:48 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by round tuit View Post
Facts:
  • Fewer than half of Americans have calculated how much they need to save for retirement.
  • In 2009, 13 percent of private industry workers with access to a defined contribution plan (such as a 401(k) plan) did not participate.
  • The average American spends 20 years in retirement.
Putting money away for retirement is a habit we can all live with. Remember… Saving Matters!
Top 10 Ways To Prepare For Retirement (http://www.dol.gov/ebsa/publications/10_ways_to_prepare.html - broken link)
These guides were useful before we had massive irresponsible government spending and "quantitative easing" with our Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke with President Obama's blessing offering bailouts to banks, big corporations and other countries by printing money like crazy and diluting our currency which will result in wicked inflation that has already started.

Now it is difficult to calculate how many more dollars it will take to buy what it should have taken if we didn't have crooks in the White House and in the Federal Reserve indirectly stealing our money via inflation.

Old 12-28-2010, 03:32 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
The time-proven standards in this article work, ... but, have always been difficult to achieve. They are even more difficult in this economy. Regardless of who or what people choose to blame for the difficulty, the advice and standards are still sound and necessary -- and falling short will produce severe penalties in life.

In my opinion, three of many prevailing 'boomer' notions have sabotaged the future of this generation -- (with the help of boomer-politicians):
1). Life should be easy and we should have whatever our parents had, in half the time
2). Blaming others or finding fault is a substitute for digging-in and working through problems
3). Problems can be indefinitely postponed by taking-on more debt.

One who feels unprepared for retirement, will never have more time available than now, to do whatever they can to get prepared. Ultimately, when it comes time for retirement, we all do the best we can with what we've got.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
I set my retirement budget and then tried to live it.
That was 2 years ago. The first year I blew it but by the second year (this year) I almost achieved my goal. There's still tweeking but I'm feeling pretty good about my goals now.
I adjusted my lifestyle but not to the point of living like I'm destitute.
I gave up the cell phone, cable TV and swore off all food purchases in the freezer aisle except for ice cream..things like that to get my lifestyle in line with my budget.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:03 PM

767 posts, read 2,291,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I gave up the cell phone, cable TV and swore off all food purchases in the freezer aisle except for ice cream..things like that to get my lifestyle in line with my budget.
Goodness, thats just plain un American. It sounds like what I have done all my life and now I've been retired 14 years, not wealthy, but comfortable.
Rule one, always pay yorself first.

Old 12-31-2010, 08:59 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
These guides were useful before we had massive irresponsible government spending and "quantitative easing" with our Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke with President Obama's blessing offering bailouts to banks, big corporations and other countries by printing money like crazy and diluting our currency which will result in wicked inflation that has already started.

Now it is difficult to calculate how many more dollars it will take to buy what it should have taken if we didn't have crooks in the White House and in the Federal Reserve indirectly stealing our money via inflation.
I meant to say crooks in Washington not just the White House. However, presidents dating back to President Wilson and establishing the Federal Reserve Act can certainly be blamed with colluding with the bankster and government crooks in Washington.

Last edited by emilybh; 12-31-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,389,384 times
Quote:

Many prevailing 'boomer' notions have sabotaged the future of this generation thinking:

1). Life should be easy and we should have whatever our parents had, in half the time
2). Blaming others or finding fault is a substitute for digging-in and working through problems
3). Problems can be indefinitely postponed by taking-on more debt

One of the most intelligent and truthful observations I've ever read on these Boards.

Old 12-31-2010, 09:48 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,926,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I set my retirement budget and then tried to live it.
That was 2 years ago. The first year I blew it but by the second year (this year) I almost achieved my goal. There's still tweeking but I'm feeling pretty good about my goals now.
No cell phone would be a tough one. Do you have a land line instead? It seems almost a necessity today, just for the safety aspect.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:39 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,072 times
How times have changed in just a decade. Its hard to believe that just 10 years ago this comment would be almost unheard of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
No cell phone would be a tough one. Do you have a land line instead? It seems almost a necessity today, just for the safety aspect.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:10 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
How times have changed in just a decade. Its hard to believe that just 10 years ago this comment would be almost unheard of.
Yes, I hear that all the time that I NEED a cell phone.
I have a phone at home with an answering machine.
I don't NEED a cellphone..it's a luxury not a necessity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement